• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Another Ahab

No a stock one is $70 -- which will need to be replaced in a year or so depending on how much you drive. With the price of $70, in two stock filter replacements you have paid for a k&n. Hence the no brainer. K&n filters claim they are good for 1 million miles. My Humvee wont last that long, but I'll always have a filter to put in my next one.
Okay, I understand you now; 10-4.

I don't doubt that K&N makes a good filter, but that "million mile" claim sounds like a stretch. If the filter isn't self-cleaning somehow, how is it going to function under the inevitable dust build-up, you know?

infidel got me

filter

As always, a betty downer will always surface. I have k&n filters in all my vehicles. My 5 ton, 2 ford trucks and now my Humvee. I have run these filters for years and never had an issue. If I blow my engine in the next 3k, I'll let you know. Thanks for the heads-up. I went on to the flash off-road site to check it out. I found it funny that under the article TURN UP YOUR FUEL, they tell you to run a k&n filter and an exhaust pipe from kaskar. Food for thought. :?:

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an opinion of mine not based on any scientific evidence I can produce but my stock 6.2L runs like a champ and I can do 69mph on the interstate. I do believe that the syclone precleaner on a fording intake tube that has a spinning fan inside does push more air down my tube and by sitting higher it is drawing "colder" (relative term) air than from off the hood and that at higher speed forces more air into the system with that fan spinning. Someone had to do the engineering at syclone and there is a reason these precleaners are on the market.

And I did stay at a holiday inn express at one time......

hummer4x4guy

I've changed my filter once in 15 years. If the restriction gauge isn't showing a plugged air filter it's still good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakob1944

Installed a conventional rear view mirror. Mounted it just above the wiper switch. Wiper switch not blocked at all. Used a piece of flat stock and the military rear view mirror NSN 2540 00 054 7201 you can get from a few different surplus suppliers. Works perfect. Centered view right through the curtain of the two man high top cargo setup.
Does the truck vibrate the mirror much......

79f250guy

I just recently installed this one on mine. I modded an old GPS mount and old rear view mirror i had laying around. No permanent mount and is in the middle-ish in front of the wiper motor. So glad I did it. Wish I did it sooner. It vibrates some at lower speeds under throttle but noting bad and certainly worth it

mirrior.jpgmirror 2.jpg

NormB

I used a suction cup marine mirror.

$15 on Amazon, and it's got a wide enough field of view that I don't need my rear views when I've got the top off. Which is a plus, because I take them off for airsoft and paintball events.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ8JB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 653255
View attachment 653256

Looks good. I took a look at the mirror on Amazon and was wondering if you used the garmin suction mount (kind of hard to tell from your photos which one it is) as several other buyers complained about the suction cup not working. Looks like a fairly cheap "fix".

Norm

Jakob1944

Looks good. I took a look at the mirror on Amazon and was wondering if you used the garmin suction mount (kind of hard to tell from your photos which one it is) as several other buyers complained about the suction cup not working. Looks like a fairly cheap "fix".

Norm
I wonder how much vibration the mirror has from engine and body movement......I did order and receive the 24v Hella Horns today......no truck just horns

Jonesy

I used the mount that came with the amazon mirror I shared.

No issues with it coming off, other than the fact it's a real bear to remove when you want to move it.

Haven't noticed a whole lot of vibration or movement, the mirror stays where I put it.

Very happy with the purchase.

Wire Fox

Today I just bought my first MV! 1994 M998A1 2-dr in Indiana. The price exploded on the other units I was looking at, so I ended up bidding on the no-transmission wonder and got it for starting bid, which leaves enough money to build up the missing, critical components. Seems like it's time to build up a 4L80E!

Jakob1944

Today I just bought my first MV! 1994 M998A1 2-dr in Indiana. The price exploded on the other units I was looking at, so I ended up bidding on the no-transmission wonder and got it for starting bid, which leaves enough money to build up the missing, critical components. Seems like it's time to build up a 4L80E!
Got a pix.....

Wire Fox

Got a pix.....
I thought you guys knew what a HMMWV looked like.... [kidding]

I was going to start a build-up thread since it's going to be a 4L80E install, but here's the main auction photo from it anyway.684877_6002_159_0001.jpg

I thought that everything was in pretty good shape in the body, wheels, tires, and most of the interior. For the price and what I expect it'll cost to install a transmission, I think I got a pretty good deal. Certainly, if there were anyone local to me that had access to a hoist for the transmission install and was willing to let me use it and/or help me, I'd really love that. I'm forecasting that I'll be able to get it home in January or February, but really...nobody knows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks