• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

DCIV

Exactly. I was going to type that too.

Check your tire pressure. Unless you’ve got other problems, I can’t think of a reason why it would be bouncy at 35mph. You can fill to 30psi or so if you’re not off-road a lot. The manual is 22-20, but that’s off road.

Have you opened up your geared hubs for rehab? Strongly recommended.

Bulldogger
Well I did only have 20psi in the tires as that’s what the manual said. Maybe more pressure would help. I really think they are just old tires, I have not torn apart my hubs but did change the fluid in them.
What do you think I have a bad hub?

Bravojmc

Measuring up for building my own spare tire mount. (Please no commentary on why not do this, that and the other thing. I have my reasons for doing it this way. ). Am not spending $950 (or $750) on a Rhino, want my trail jack on it, etc. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. Just getting kind of sick of all of the negativity, I do it better, yada yada. So much so, am about ready to just be a lurker and keep to my self....

View attachment 714700View attachment 714701
O come on, this is a safe place! ;)

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In life you have to do what you want to do, It's your toy.
I did some mods to mine, the tach in the dash, the center console, the back up lights, most people like it, then again some were against what I did.
At the end, I did it my way and I'm happy with the final results, so just do it, I like it.

Thecaptain

Hey dciv - I had similar bouncing. You may want to check your pitman and idler arms. The manuals have good instructions for checking if those components.

Best of luck!

Capt

Action

Measuring up for building my own spare tire mount. (Please no commentary on why not do this, that and the other thing. I have my reasons for doing it this way. ). Am not spending $950 (or $750) on a Rhino, want my trail jack on it, etc. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. Just getting kind of sick of all of the negativity, I do it better, yada yada. So much so, am about ready to just be a lurker and keep to my self....

View attachment 714700View attachment 714701
I won't tell you not to do it. But, maybe some gussets on the 90 degree areas for a bit more strength?

twisted60

Ref post #2563 Road test per the TM was a success, still cant tell when she goes from 2-3 but she goes. Got a fan belt squealing now, guess I'll order all 4 and do them all 1 time. My new Radiator hoses arrived so when the belts arrive I'll do hoses and belts all at the same time, picked up radiator flush and new anti freeze so that is on hand. After my test drives (total of 40 miles) no leaks that I can find, hubs are dry, tranny is dry, eng is dry, did have a little fuel seep but probably because I overfilled the tank (keeping an eye on that). Took her to 55 mph today, she rides smooth, no shimmy or shudder. I do plan to install a tach soon, and different seats but so far so good.

DCIV

Added more air pressure in the tire that was bouncing (they are the 37’s) and I went to 27psi. This cut down on the bouncing but didn’t go away. It did allow me to go past the bounce and so I drove it around and parked it, when moved there was a small puddle. Felt the puddle and really felt like gear oil but not near as thick...I was really worried it was a hub but those were dry. Looked around for a long time and finally found a drop on the A arm coming from the shock. So I have a shock bad that is prob causing my bounce!

Now to go look up how hard to change the shock.

DCIV

Found a local place that has done Humvee shocks before and said 25 per shock unless bolts are frozen. So I’m gonna take them up on that offer. Gonna start spraying PB blaster on the lower nuts and when the shocks come in then set up an apt!

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a local place that has done Humvee shocks before and said 25 per shock unless bolts are frozen. So I’m gonna take them up on that offer. Gonna start spraying PB blaster on the lower nuts and when the shocks come in then set up an apt!
How do you know your shocks are bad on an Hmmwv? Like other vehicles, excessive bouncing?

DCIV

How do you know your shocks are bad on an Hmmwv? Like other vehicles, excessive bouncing?
I have a very bad bounce and then after it sat I had a small puddle that came from the shock leaking it’s fluid. Mine could also be a bad tire that made the situation worse but if the shock is leaking it has to be fixed anyways.

shawnshumvee

Hi. The camera and lcd screen was bought on epay and the mechanical switch was repurposed from an old lawn tractor. It was the kill switch that was mounted under the seat. I just bolted in the shifter so when the humvee is put into reverse it activates the lcd and camera and obviously shuts off when put into neutral or drive .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks