• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

shanebaby

Wasn’t too bad. It took two people. The nuts on the rear a-arm bracket are a little hard to get to. One person holds a wrench on those nuts and another uses an impact to loosen the bolts

Hollywuds

Installed a set of front "winch" springs last night. Took about 2 hours by myself. Went from 16" clearance at front crossmember to 19.5". Rides a little stiffer, but not too bad. Will post pictures later

MIDDLEMAN

Hello all M998er's..... I have done some searching on the site without luck . Need to change the front differential output seal on the driver's side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Part# or Napa number, special tools needed, how tough of job and or the TM (help finding it) Thanks in advance.

Dock Rocker

Hello all M998er's..... I have done some searching on the site without luck . Need to change the front differential output seal on the driver's side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Part# or Napa number, special tools needed, how tough of job and or the TM (help finding it) Thanks in advance.
I would call Kascar and order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCIV

Didn’t trust my 2 ton jack to lift the Humvee, so today I went and bought a heavy duty 3 ton. Aired up the tires to what others have recommended for the road. And after a quick test drive, which the bounce was better but not gone, the power steering started making noise. Checked it and it had a good bit of bubbles and a little over filled. So I took my hand pump and sucked out a bunch, then refilled to the correct level with some dextron III. Didn’t have time to test. But I can see a full dump and replace in my future.

NormB

Didn’t trust my 2 ton jack to lift the Humvee, so today I went and bought a heavy duty 3 ton. Aired up the tires to what others have recommended for the road. And after a quick test drive, which the bounce was better but not gone, the power steering started making noise. Checked it and it had a good bit of bubbles and a little over filled. So I took my hand pump and sucked out a bunch, then refilled to the correct level with some dextron III. Didn’t have time to test. But I can see a full dump and replace in my future.

I'll take "Brake Bleeding Basics" for $500, Alex.

DING-DING-DING!

DOUBLE Jeopardy!

Air bubbles?

Look up bleeding brakes [D'OH! Power steering. -edit] in this forum. Cheaper and easier to do than replacing a pump.

FWIW.

NB

Last edited:

orgnal

I'll take "Brake Bleeding Basics" for $500, Alex.

DING-DING-DING!

DOUBLE Jeopardy!

Air bubbles?

Look up bleeding brakes in this forum. Cheaper and easier to do than replacing a pump.

FWIW.

NB
Bubbles in the power steering reservoir cannot be linked to bleeding brakes ... If the brake pedal is sticking or feeling soft, then yes bleeding the brake lines for air would make sense.

McReddy

NormB

Bubbles in the power steering reservoir cannot be linked to bleeding brakes ... If the brake pedal is sticking or feeling soft, then yes bleeding the brake lines for air would make sense.
McReddy
D'oh! My bad, meant bleeding the power steering system. Had brake bleeding on my mind recently.

Sorry.

As you were.

DCIV

D'oh! My bad, meant bleeding the power steering system. Had brake bleeding on my mind recently.

Sorry.

As you were.
Looked them up. The first step says with engine off turn the wheel all the way to the left. With a tiny wheel, big tires, and no help?! That will suck. Then it talked about cap on and off and jacked up and turning the wheel to full lock, holding for 5 seconds, up to 40 times!

NormB

Looked them up. The first step says with engine off turn the wheel all the way to the left. With a tiny wheel, big tires, and no help?! That will suck. Then it talked about cap on and off and jacked up and turning the wheel to full lock, holding for 5 seconds, up to 40 times!
Yep. That’s what it says, and what’s needed to get the air out. Sometimes twice.

Or more.

Turning the wheel full lock isn’t so bad once they’re off the ground, really.

DCIV

Yep. That’s what it says, and what’s needed to get the air out. Sometimes twice.

Or more.

Turning the wheel full lock isn’t so bad once they’re off the ground, really.
I wouldn’t think so, but turning it the first time before you lift it will be interesting.

I have some thoughts on why this is just now an issue. Before when I was driving the Humvee it was cold....below freezing. So I think it was able to control the temp off of the tstat. The last time I drove it the fans kicked in and off multiple times. I wonder if there was air in there then forced to the steering.

tomcata3

Got my front and rear hydraulic winches working. There was a problem turned out I need to add two shut off valves and turn the valve off for the one not in use. Of course mile marker said HMMWV's only have front or rear winches not both so it took a minute to figure out how to make it work.
DSC03709.jpgDSC03710.jpgDSC03711.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks