• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Smckerigan

I found the power steering leaking hose. The PO cluged together a hose rather than replacing. Rig will be back on the road as soon as I can buy power steering fluid, as all the shoppes are on COVID19 lockdown. I guess I will purchase power steering fluid online.
I just had the same problem with mine. It puked P/S all over the garage floor. So I got some 3/8 hose and replaced it.

Ajax MD

Figured out my mild overheating problem from yesterday. Apparently I had a very slow weep that let the coolant out over time, but only while driving.
Never a drop on the driveway but the sway bar was slimy with coolant where it was blown down by the fan.

No time like the present for the post-GovPlanet-auction coolant flush and thermostat replacement, so I took care of that and also made sure the offending hose clamp was tight. No leaks, truck seems to run about 10 degrees cooler.

Ambient temperature got close to 60F today. I took a 45 minute test drive with lots of poking along, stops and hard accelerations and almost couldn't get the engine hot enough to engage the fan. It finally came on as I was pulling into the driveway. It ran very briefly and the cool down effect seemed much improved.
and... I spent two HOURS with a fin comb straightening out the oil cooler/trans cooler fins and I'm still not done. The fins were smashed flat, like Shrek was working on this truck. I also blew air between the layers of the cooling stack to clear out any lodged leaves and gunk.

Lastly, I have the troop seats in position and I'll install the mounting hardware tomorrow morning.

papakb

Hobo Freight has a great little straightening comb tool for radiator fins. It has 6 different fin spacing sections to match almost any cooling system.

Looks like Hobo might have dropped this tool but if you search "condenser radiator tool" they
ll pop up.

Last edited:

papakb

Had a great learning experience yesterday repairing/replacing glow plug stuff. For about a year now I've had a lot of white smoke only on startup that I attributed to bad glow plugs. Yesterday I pulled the right splash guard, radio shelf and engine covers to check things out. I found the connector on the #2 plug was trashed and replaced it. Luckily it's the same female connector used in all the system wiring. When I pulled the harness out to work on it there was an extra pair of wires that came with it. These were the 2 #596 leads to the cold advance switch. It disintegrated somewhere along the line and looks like it had been shorting to the block. Ugly. The body of the switch was still in the hole but AMG conveniently hid it under the transmission dipstick tube. Be careful because this goes into the water passages and will puke water when it comes out so be ready with the new switch. Replaced the #6 and #8 glow plugs and now she starts up like a champ again and the white smoke is gone.

That bad switch was causing the IP to dump in extra fuel and that was the source of the smoke.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
installed a new am/fm radio, speakers, usb, voltage, aux plug, relocated antenna for am/fm. Having time to tinker...

What radio and speakers are those ? I recall a post a year ago about them and I can't find the post. I want to buy the same set. Does it broadcast Bluetooth? Would love to play it to my noise canceling headphones.

Best,

T

twisted60

What radio and speakers are those ? I recall a post a year ago about them and I can't find the post. I want to buy the same set. Does it broadcast Bluetooth? Would love to play it to my noise canceling headphones.

Best,

T
Sorry to say it doesn't broadcast BT, it receives BT, when out of range for radio stations I run BT from my phone to it and it sounds good.
The radio is a Marine grade Velex, I wanted the square Boss radio but it wasn't available on Amazon so I took the round Velex. The speakers are Herdio, Herdio had a package (radio and speakers) that I saw after I ordered the Velex, oh well. Radio, 6 outlet USB/voltmeter/cig lighter, transformer and 2 6 fuse block (1 24 volts and 1 12 volts) are all mounted in a 50 cal can, separate 50 cal can mounted next to it for use as a glove box. I used 2 voltmeters, 1 shows battery/charging voltage the other is connected after the transformer to show what is going to radio, USB ectIMG_3202.JPGIMG_3212.JPGIMG_3214.JPG
Hope this helps.
Rick

Squirel

I spent yesterday and made up some brackets to adapt the Smittybuilt seats to the high back mounting pattern. Today I installed all 4 of them into the truck. The highbacks were not awful but these are a nice improvement. I also took the M1123 for its first real drive on the streets. Drove it to the gas station, filled it up with diesel and drove back. It handles fine, but it didn't seem to want to shift under power and even with it floored I couldn't get above 55. If I let off it would up shift, but as soon as I gave it more fuel it would kick back down. I'm pretty sure it has not been driven much in the last few (many) years. 2400 miles on the odometer and on the oil filter I found "oil filter changed 7/5/2011". So it has new fuel and new oil and filter. I would think it should be able to do better than 55. The brakes are pretty touchy so maybe the parking brake is dragging. The fan clutch is working a it should as far as I can tell. Any suggestions on other things to look at?

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent yesterday and made up some brackets to adapt the Smittybuilt seats to the high back mounting pattern. Today I installed all 4 of them into the truck. The highbacks were not awful but these are a nice improvement. I also took the M1123 for its first real drive on the streets. Drove it to the gas station, filled it up with diesel and drove back. It handles fine, but it didn't seem to want to shift under power and even with it floored I couldn't get above 55. If I let off it would up shift, but as soon as I gave it more fuel it would kick back down. I'm pretty sure it has not been driven much in the last few (many) years. 2400 miles on the odometer and on the oil filter I found "oil filter changed 7/5/2011". So it has new fuel and new oil and filter. I would think it should be able to do better than 55. The brakes are pretty touchy so maybe the parking brake is dragging. The fan clutch is working a it should as far as I can tell. Any suggestions on other things to look at?
Transmission in limp mode?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a great learning experience yesterday repairing/replacing glow plug stuff. For about a year now I've had a lot of white smoke only on startup that I attributed to bad glow plugs. Yesterday I pulled the right splash guard, radio shelf and engine covers to check things out. I found the connector on the #2 plug was trashed and replaced it. Luckily it's the same female connector used in all the system wiring. When I pulled the harness out to work on it there was an extra pair of wires that came with it. These were the 2 #596 leads to the cold advance switch. It disintegrated somewhere along the line and looks like it had been shorting to the block. Ugly. The body of the switch was still in the hole but AMG conveniently hid it under the transmission dipstick tube. Be careful because this goes into the water passages and will puke water when it comes out so be ready with the new switch. Replaced the #6 and #8 glow plugs and now she starts up like a champ again and the white smoke is gone.

That bad switch was causing the IP to dump in extra fuel and that was the source of the smoke.
Very interesting. I will double check those on my rig. Yesterday the Wait light wouldn't go out, and no joy on cranking. In my case after seeing nothing obvious in the wiring, I disconected the batteries and reconnected. She fired right up after 10s Wait light and ran fine the rest of the afternoon. I've been meaning to replace the glow plugs but I've also been meaning to replace the power train...
BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perform the parking brake calibration from the post-brake pads clause in the TM. If the parking brake is dragging it will interfere a little, and also overheat/smell, but not enough to impact transmission shifting, so I agree with those who say it's another problem also.
BDGR

rcamacho

Degreased, washed and sap removal

Etching primer 1st coat

Done

Finally getting around to painting the Plan B hard top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks