• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have been thinking about going this route or remove the run flats and go with balancing beads.. Can you tell a difference in road speed shimmy and vibrations since you installed these? What Tire/wheel combo you running? With runflats still or not? Thank you.
I installed centramatics, and at 55 I am super stable.

I am keeping the runflats because if I have explosive decompression I stand a better chance of not rolling over and not blowing out a pumpkin with a runflat installed.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have been thinking about going this route or remove the run flats and go with balancing beads.. Can you tell a difference in road speed shimmy and vibrations since you installed these? What Tire/wheel combo you running? With runflats still or not? Thank you.
I removed the runflats first which helped but after the centramatics, things got ALOT smoother. I'm running standard 12 bolt wheels and tires. I have a friend that tried the beads first without the runflats but ditched them in favor of the centramatics also.

donquijote

I removed the runflats first which helped but after the centramatics, things got ALOT smoother. I'm running standard 12 bolt wheels and tires. I have a friend that tried the beads first without the runflats but ditched them in favor of the centramatics also.
I'm going to buy a set now for one of my rigs. I thought about buying the centematics but was hesitant a few years ago. Two of mine have Wrangler MT tires and one with BFG Baja's. The tire shop across the street from me has balanced them using a road force balancer and doing static balancing. They all balance better using static and run very smooth. Just an FYI. I like the idea of the centramatics being set it and forget it almost.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Keesyman

I installed centramatics, and at 55 I am super stable.

I am keeping the runflats because if I have explosive decompression I stand a better chance of not rolling over and not blowing out a pumpkin with a runflat installed.
Thanks for that, Im going to go with the centramatics, not really a lot of expense, by the time you buy new split rim O-rings, PVC lockers, beads.. and a helluva lot less work, from a full Saturday of beating and banging rims apart to about a 4 beer job with the jack and impact! .

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that, Im going to go with the centramatics, not really a lot of expense, by the time you buy new split rim O-rings, PVC lockers, beads.. and a helluva lot less work, from a full Saturday of beating and banging rims apart to about a 4 beer job with the jack and impact! .
Plus, by the time you balance 2 or 3 sets of tires the centramatics have paid for themselves.

Keesyman

Plus, by the time you balance 2 or 3 sets of tires the centramatics have paid for themselves.
Yep that's what I was thinking, FedEx says they will be at the house waiting for me today. I'll let everyone know how well it goes. My truck has a death wobble about 35-40mph and again around 60 or so, slow down till it goes away and speed back up, runs fine till something upsets it..

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep that's what I was thinking, FedEx says they will be at the house waiting for me today. I'll let everyone know how well it goes. My truck has a death wobble about 35-40mph and again around 60 or so, slow down till it goes away and speed back up, runs fine till something upsets it..
Re-align all 4 wheels, and clean the inner rim of all 4 wheels too. Mud will also do that. [IH8MUD ;)]

I love my Centrimatics, but I also re-aligned all 4 wheels. WOW what a difference.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Could be tires? And all the reasons of balance. Surplus setting flat for years, weak rotten side walls, big fat patch on the inside, bent rim, lumpy air :hammer: and more, etc.

Look over ALL things joints, upper / lower ball joints, tie rod end joints, steering linkage joints, idle arm, steering box, If it moves, supports, holds or turns check it good. Check spindle play. Keep a look out for loose hardware, cracked or bent parts. Don't forget the rear too.

Shake, rock and roll, CAMO

Keesyman

I'm taking a "voluntary layoff" next week, so I plan on going over the running gear on the truck with a fine comb!, Bought the Centramatics, 4 set's of inner/outer hub seals, locking spindle nuts, etc, gear oil, new drive belts, 60A alternator regulator and brushes, grounding harness. I know the guys I bought the truck with and had them go over it and do a "full service" but I want to get under it and know exactly where everything is, just for the warm and fuzzy of knowing. I mean it is nearly 30 years old.. and was driven by high school kids.. just sayin.

Wire Fox

There's been a certain group of people getting beaten on pretty hard lately in the news, and I realized that I had the time and resources to provide medical aid and relief. I got the HMMWV dressed up for the CASEVAC role, loaded it down with water and medical supplies (it now has a lot more than pictured), and have been working with other volunteers in the city to provide some relief. It's just been water and shade all week, but yesterday unfortunately called for medical treatment of 3 hit-and-run victims. They thankfully escaped with only minor injuries, including one that required stitches. It was a very sobering night when I got home and had to wash blood out of the back and disinfect everything...

Be safe out there, and care for your neighbors.

IMG_20200606_123556.jpgIMG_20200606_123607.jpgIMG_20200606_134805.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
There's been a certain group of people getting beaten on pretty hard lately in the news, and I realized that I had the time and resources to provide medical aid and relief. I got the HMMWV dressed up for the CASEVAC role, loaded it down with water and medical supplies (it now has a lot more than pictured), and have been working with other volunteers in the city to provide some relief. It's just been water and shade all week, but yesterday unfortunately called for medical treatment of 3 hit-and-run victims. They thankfully escaped with only minor injuries, including one that required stitches. It was a very sobering night when I got home and had to wash blood out of the back and disinfect everything...

Be safe out there, and care for your neighbors.

View attachment 802666View attachment 802667View attachment 802668
I appreciate the good deed doer in all of us. However... I am a bit concerned about the image of a civilian Hmmwv getting in the middle of the mix as seen on TV lately. With all the confusion and emotion IMO that could go sideways real quick. Target or medic could be risky with the rules out the window.

I remember seeing a civilian Hmmwv or two helping out in Texas with the floods. Seemed reasonable at that time, do to the need and capability.

I got to say the camo paint must have helped, cuz all I saw were tan in Los Angeles, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it is the sign of the times, after 37 years I am being offered a package, so the 26th will be my last day at work.
I ran down to Port A today and drove the beach all the way down to the south jetties, lots of interesting sights, looks like all the girls were trying to max out their vitamin D for the day!
Then I decided to pop 12 bucks at the cat scales, I would have bet the steering axle would have the most weight and I would have been wrong, my helmet top "wet" without driver
#3360 steering axle
#3720 drive axle
#7080 total
AS pictured, without the M1101 of course, 12K winches front (hyd) and rear (electric) it is loaded with a fairly complete set of tools, some spares, recovery items, jack etc.
20200202_112452.jpg
20200308_123224.jpg
20200202_112537.jpg
That oil leak was from my JLG manlift while I was servicing the 12X12 door
This does settle the debate on what the min. trailer I will be buying, my 18' lowboy is not nearly wide enough, it has 2 #3500 axles and even though I have hauled much more than 7K on it many times the older I get the more conservative I get, my #25000 Gooseneck is my new mobile home's front porch and I don't have anything big enough to pull it with at this time anyway.

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While awaiting the arrival of my rebuilt IP, I decided to replace a broken battery tray and install the missing hold down bracket and J-retainers. With the batteries out, I also installed military style rubber terminal protectors for added safety.
- HoveringHMMWV

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well... as I move around the HMMWV.. gotta do the bushings.. I hate a sloppy suspension.. and I tearing it all apart anyway to paint.. so why not.. stupid, stupid, stupid.. Pressing out was a little easier than taking A arms off rig..871CEE18-B864-4879-8B9E-C21C3F611661.jpeg
And as for the stubborn ones... BFCOW
5D5B093E-1A27-47D2-9770-E2E2D8549DBE.jpeg
WINNING !!!!!

EBD8CD50-72C5-455F-AF54-BFB9A489A304.jpeg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you don't use a side guide handle then you should with your cutoff wheel machine. It should be a 1/4-28P? hole on the side and I put a Snap-on chisel holder in there.
I post this as you do nice work and WE don't want hurt.
Whatched a guy cutting off an engine mount almost run the wheel up His face so I fixed it. His face shield got wasted but He didn't.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to pile on but if you shatter the wheel you will wish you had the wheel guard in place, yes they are a pain in the a$$ some times but multiple lacerations and stitches are worse.
Also when you put the suspension back together have the weight of the vehicle resting on the suspension before tightening the bolts on the bushings, otherwise the bushings will be in a bind and make the ride rougher than it would normally be.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks