• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought new control arms for HUMMERS were like 30 clams. That's what they are costing me for my civilian HUMMER H1.

Only way I would rebuild would be to use polyurethane bushings.

Still, I admire your desire to do hard work.

Best,

T

rcamacho

I thought new control arms for HUMMERS were like 30 clams. That's what they are costing me for my civilian HUMMER H1.

Only way I would rebuild would be to use polyurethane bushings.

Still, I admire your desire to do hard work.

Best,

T
The bushings on my 998 are loose. I get a good amount of deflection through the bushings while moving the suspension for and aft. I’ve been looking at the Energy Suspension bushings and I’m curious if anybody on the board has had positive experience using urethane bushings in the HMMWV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Retired Friday after 37 years with the same company, so the wife said "what do you want to do on your first day of retirement?"

So we made a midnight run down Mustang Island all the way to the Mansfield cut, maybe not the best idea, the sea fog was bad, visibility was bad, but we managed to make the 60mi beach run to P.M. arriving at around 4:45 then decided to wait until twilight before starting back, so we walked (climbed) around on the jetties for awhile.
The sand was 40/30/20, 40% hard 30% soft and 20% very soft, pulling very hard in 2nd and even 1st a few times but never requiring shifting out of full time FWD, total run 265mi, total sand 120mi, averaged 9.0MPG, the 60 mile beach run is the only way to get to the north side of the Mansfield cut.
What the sign does not say is there is no cell service from this sign to the Port Mansfield cut so everyone is defiantly on their own.

Retire.jpg
There were only about a dozen or so camps on the 60 mile stretch, and the vast majority were in the first 15 miles, there was only one camp from marker 40 to the jetties, how often can you say your closest neighbor is 20 miles away!

Last edited:

Daves86

Replaced my halfshafts...again, but it got rid of the clicking noise when I back up or move under a load. Bought a pair from a vendor that I won't name yet. Both clicked under load. Passenger side is back to being the one that came with the rig, drivers side is an Autozone H1 halfshaft ($113). I had replaced them the first time because the drivers side had blown out the boots. I spent $250 each on the replacements that made all that noise. I guess you don't know who to trust these days. Not mentioning who I bought the shafts from till I hear from them and see what they do about it. But for $113 each I think I'll be using the autozone parts.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a radio shelf/rack. Will probably modify it in the near future to create custom storage. Also stretched the legs of the M1097A2 after recuperating from maintenance. Note the irony of the electric charging station in the background.

FD65774A-3D3E-4A3B-8133-3BDB2B729E33.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
replaced the serpentine belt to get rid of belt squeal. Belt is working a lot harder now that the aircon is working.

Put the BEOD back on now that the graduation parades are all finished and I'm not driving future soldiers through them.

Installing a dash camera wired so it can still record even with the truck off and the battery disconnect turned off (but only saves files when truck gets bumped with it turned off)

fpchief

replaced the serpentine belt to get rid of belt squeal. Belt is working a lot harder now that the aircon is working.

Put the BEOD back on now that the graduation parades are all finished and I'm not driving future soldiers through them.

Installing a dash camera wired so it can still record even with the truck off and the battery disconnect turned off (but only saves files when truck gets bumped with it turned off)
What DVR setup did you get?

fpchief

When you go through Mobile how far you going? I’m right off I-10 and Avalon (exit 22 after the bridge)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Chief, I am fairly near you and my government AO is from the Fl line over to Freeport area. Through your area alot. Plus my friend is in Pace, not much of a forum guy but has a fine M998 and two deuces.

Kip

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What DVR setup did you get?
Viofo A129 Pro 4k with GPS. Used the hardwire kit they also sell to enable parking mode. Somehow managed to get it on sale from the Viofo website for 20% off, so was $40 cheaper than amazon, but shipped from Hong Kong.

It's wired with the ground to the battery cut off next to the driver's seat, on the battery side. Positive I pulled from the ignition switch, then the accessory wire I pulled from the same connection as the Red Dot uses behind the dash panel (they used posi tap connectors, so I just had to remove one, add the wire, and reconnect) . Excess wires bundled up behind the dash.

The hardwire kit is also dual voltage, so will work with 24V systems.

already had a little upward bend in this piece on the dash, so just pried it up a little further to slip the wire through, and it flexed back afterwards.
3aa5db7cf0c1dafa50089b661b95bc46b7dbd145-1.jpg
I figure the cam will end up in the top center corner on the driver's side, but need to find the SD card I bought for it (as usual, I put it somewhere safe and now can't find it)

Crapgame

Hi Chief, I am fairly near you and my government AO is from the Fl line over to Freeport area. Through your area alot. Plus my friend is in Pace, not much of a forum guy but has a fine M998 and two deuces.

Kip
We have a growing presence in FL Panhandle, about 5 owners just in Navarre, a potential former Marine in Pensacola wanting my 1994 M1097A1 then you boys in Alabama. Trying to get my OIF1 5SFG GMV roadworthy and safe for one of the meets at the USS Alabama in Mobile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks