• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Daves86

What was the reason to pull them from bumper ?? That was a bit of work there. Adding tire carrier or ??

<<<< Curious bear wanting to know, CAMO
When I bought the truck I saw another truck with the lights and license plate on the bumper and thought it looked good. I paid the guy I bought it from to put them there. Then I saw the Rhino tire carrier set up and found that one of the lights would be completely covered. I also have to move my backup camera before I install the tire carrier, otherwise I'll be staring at the tire and not see anything else.
And the license plate cover where the hitch belongs so that has to move as well so I can put a hitch on it.
V/r
Dave

Daves86

The camo job on the soft slant back looks good. What paints/process did you use Dave?
Bulldogger
Hey Alex, So my neighbors thought I'd lost my mind, standing on a ladder looking at the color by numbers plot for the slant back and then letting the rattle cans fly. Figure 42 in the tech man lays out the camo pattern, that was my color by numbers reference. I washed the top and let it dry, but that was really the only prep to the canvas. Paint requires touch up every 6 months or so, and when you paint the canvas it darkens the inside of the truck (no light gets thru the canvas). Originally I painted the cover without the window and drove that for a while. Just put the cover with the window but haven't had a chance to tape off the window and match that frame to the cover.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Alex, So my neighbors thought I'd lost my mind, standing on a ladder looking at the color by numbers plot for the slant back and then letting the rattle cans fly. Figure 42 in the tech man lays out the camo pattern, that was my color by numbers reference. I washed the top and let it dry, but that was really the only prep to the canvas. Paint requires touch up every 6 months or so, and when you paint the canvas it darkens the inside of the truck (no light gets thru the canvas). Originally I painted the cover without the window and drove that for a while. Just put the cover with the window but haven't had a chance to tape off the window and match that frame to the cover.
Looks MUCH better than my first attempt, and I gave it a TSP scrubbing and everything. I removed and replaced that splotchy ugly cover before it's end of life just to get rid of it.

RAPCO, Rustoleum, Krylon or other?

BDGR

Daves86

Looks MUCH better than my first attempt, and I gave it a TSP scrubbing and everything. I removed and replaced that splotchy ugly cover before it's end of life just to get rid of it.

RAPCO, Rustoleum, Krylon or other?

BDGR
Army Jeep Parts sells 34094 Lusterless CARC Green, Special Black 911 and Brown rattle cans. I have had very good success with these and I Like the green much better than the Rustoleum. But like I said they don't last more than 6 months on canvas, movement causes the paint to dull and fade away.

Cetme24

Installed new 4 man kit, seatbelts and a heavy interior cleaning. Had a hard time on the passenger side. The B piller was not installed square and the window frame was bent in slightly making the door gaps very tight. I attached ratchet straps to the B piller and windshield frame to pull everything back into alignment.45E3707D-F2F0-44E2-A688-E47D7A737D76.jpegAC186C43-71D3-4C8F-BD6F-C229E748A082.jpegE0222DD8-8FD0-4BB4-BD1E-D26B2FDC4244.jpeg33A9EFFB-EAAB-4246-92D2-4F345EBC81AF.jpeg785C4374-ED21-4546-A1AD-58AFB694C434.jpegFA8744CD-8E0F-4890-99D3-A44074D4B800.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was out moving some 12 bolt wheels and tires around this afternoon and had a visitor

snake.jpg
Dang cat may have saved my a$$, was standing up like a Meerkat which is very unusual and got my attention, can't hear the dang things anymore.
This is only the fifth one we have seen this year, the wife ground one up with her baby Kubota and 4' bush hog mowing around the Pecan trees, the other three were far enough away from the compound that I did not feel the need to go all Rambo on them, this one I did as it was right behind the house.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up an aluminum radiator off of fleabay that looks exactly the same as another seller is selling for 799.99 and 80 bucks shipping
this one cost $236.64 shipped, of course these are the same guys trying to get $900 for a set of 4, $85.00 smitybuilt seats

IMG_20200813_165830745.jpgIMG_20200813_165917255.jpg
I plan on taking down to the local shop and have them pressure/leak test it before I install it

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up an aluminum radiator off of fleabay that looks exactly the same as another seller is selling for 799.99 and 80 bucks shipping
this one cost $236.64 shipped, of course these are the same guys trying to get $900 for a set of 4, $85.00 smitybuilt seats

View attachment 808958View attachment 808959
I plan on taking down to the local shop and have them pressure/leak test it before I install it
That's a good deal. I got mine from Jegs, the Champion CCHVB, for right at $300
BDGR

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 808958View attachment 808959
To pressure test all you need is a bathtub, a solid rubber plug and a rubber plug attached to an air pump that will give and measure 15 PSI.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back when I did my "red dot - fender condenser aircon" install I replaced almost every hose, fitting, and O-ring. The only thing I didn't replace was the high pressure port.
Guess what decided to leak?

Drained down the system today (slowly, so it wouldn't dump a lot of oil) and replaced that $6 fitting. Just got it back together and vacuumed down, have to wait until tomorrow to do the fill. Between that and the squealing belt I fixed the other day by spacing the power steering pump backwards the thickness of a washer, I'll have all my current concerns for the truck resolved (for now)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks