• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea. I was wondering if I need sealer or not. It looks like it has in now. What a mess that will be. You have any suggestions on what brand to use? I’m sure some are more user friendly than others.
Sorry, can't help there, I had an old tube and tossed it when I was done, it was a little thicker than silicone sealer which I would guess most folks are using.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Managed to run out of fuel today! Got it running with a littpatience.
So, running out of fuel...

At least NOW you know where the completely empty mark is on the fuel gauge. :cool:
I can remember coasting into a gas station before. No fun at all!

Glider

Well actually I coasted in and couldn't get to the diesel pump. Station only had a 1 gal tank for sale. Soooo 10 trips from pump to 998 (that is blocking half the gas pumps) diesel all over my hands, no soap or paper towels in bathroom. Then had to prime. This was the beginning of a 2 1/2 hour cruise to shop and stay in city for a night. It all turned out good.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well actually I coasted in and couldn't get to the diesel pump. Station only had a 1 gal tank for sale. Soooo 10 trips from pump to 998 (that is blocking half the gas pumps) diesel all over my hands, no soap or paper towels in bathroom. Then had to prime. This was the beginning of a 2 1/2 hour cruise to shop and stay in city for a night. It all turned out good.
Well dang. That definitely made it more difficult than it had to be.
Tennessee? Didn't know you guys were having gas problems (except cost) up there. One gallon?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well dang. That definitely made it more difficult than it had to be.
Tennessee? Didn't know you guys were having gas problems (except cost) up there. One gallon?
They only had a gallon gas can available for him to fill his truck up... SO, one gallon of fuel at a time.... But I'm sure you probably realize this now 😂

Glider

Installed seats from XXX vendor. I ordered 4 seats and the mounting plate for driver. The seats and plate are very good quality. I did not order the plates they offered for the rear seats. Wish I would have now. I thought it was a kit, well...I guess it was in a way. I was thinking I might get a template for drilling the bases. No luck. Called vendor and asked if I could have measurements and they said I should have ordered the rear bases that were predrilled. Still didn't address the front passenger seat. They wouldn't give me any info. So I made templates out of cardboard for seat and seat base. Then put the seat in and adjusted to what I figure was the best position. Then made alignment marks on both templates. Next removed template from seat, placed on base template, aligned and drilled. I had to elongate a few holes to get the bolts to start in spots. Had to do this for front passenger and one rear seat. I only had to use a template for one rear seat. The left and right are mirror images. I put the to base plates with otp sides facing each other, clamped together and drilled. It worked very well. Outside of me doing what I felt was alot of measuring and guessing what would work best that could have been avoided, it was a worthwhile upgrade.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

twisted60

I let the magic smoke out of my EESS box, long story short I was installing a CIVI altenator in my M998 to replace the Military one that failed and rather than hook up wires and then start up to check my belts running true I thought why not start up, check belts, adjust if required then hook up wires. Well when I started up the wires that I thought were clear were not and pop went the weasel, good thing was belts were running true. Anyway I pulled a spare EESS box out of my parts stock and was back up and running.
Hope this story helps others, don't take short cuts in the long run it costs more time and money...

rcamacho

Finished adjusting shims for camber/caster today. Removed the following from RF. Put 2 thick shims back on RF bucket to get zero camber with max caster.

Also took the opportunity to replace front tie rod ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Josh66

Well boys the ol 1123 is painted. Total cost? $200 including the harbor freight HVLP gun!
Sprayed with Behr exterior paint. Now she’s up for saleView attachment 845193
View attachment 845194
View attachment 845195
View attachment 845196
View attachment 845197
View attachment 845198
View attachment 845199
View attachment 845200
View attachment 845201

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paint looks great. You said Behr exterior paint, do you have any paint codes? Thinking of repainting one of my HMMWV's and really like how yours turned out. How does it seem for durablity? Thanks.

tbeson

Pulled the Radiator.
I could not take it any more with the slow rad leak from the top seam, bottom looks ready for a leak!, pulled the Rad, trans cooler, hydraulic cooler, and purchased a new aluminum rad from Jeggs, waiting for the parts to come in. Does the old core have any value?

Attachments

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the Radiator.
I could not take it any more with the slow rad leak from the top seam, bottom looks ready for a leak!, pulled the Rad, trans cooler, hydraulic cooler, and purchased a new aluminum rad from Jeggs, waiting for the parts to come in. Does the old core have any value?
If someone nearby has access to an old school radiator shop that can boil it out and reseal it, then yes it has value. If not, there isn't much I guess it'd be good for. Maybe some scrap value, but again that's if local services take them in.
BDGR

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the Radiator.
Curious, I did not see an H1 radiator on Jegs, what part number did you order?

EDIT, OK I see it now, that is the same Champion I am using on my DuraVee that 3 core has the same cooling capacity as a 6 core copper radiator, 425HP and no coolant heating issues, scuttlebutt is they will eventually crack but that is from someone selling a radiator for over 5X the price, could have gotten the same thing on fleabay 10 bucks cheaper and free shipping.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks