• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the pic of the towing truck to truck. what is the best way to lock the steering wheel?
I hear this all the time. I'm always having people tell me that I'm doing it wrong - that I should lock the steering wheel.

If you lock the steering wheel, you'll pull the front wheels sideways in turns, with enough force to literally pull the tires off the wheels, or bend the frame....

I have no idea why people think you should lock the steering wheel.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you do have to lock the wheels. This is towed-truck specific, I'm guessing to differences in steering caster setting variations. Some trucks will not want to move straight any distance at all, immediately turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other when pulled. Others will turn to full lock when change in direction is significant but then will not straighten out by themselves. Most will be just fine. For those that give you problems, you can tie them of in a general straight direction with a rope or strap from the steering wheel to some immoveable object in the cab.

After hooking up a truck, I always test-pull a short distance, away from traffic, that includes a tight turn in each direction to see if the towed truck has a tendency to fight back. I have done this at the Govt. surplus lots before pulling out on the road. I explain what I want to do to the lot personnel beforehand and they have willingly allowed it. (In fact, I like to test pull even if using a trailer just to see if there is any issue)

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say if you run into that you need to put it on a trailer or get the front wheels off the ground with a tow truck. Very unsafe!!!

M925A2 with dump hoist

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lockking the steering is also probably how a lot of these towbars are getting damaged...

M925A2 with dump hoist

maddeuce360

ya i was always under the impression that the wheels would turn full lock if given the chance, hence the need to lock them. I have also never towed another vehicle with its front wheels on the ground.
So rule of thumb is your good to not lock them , unless you have a truck that is a problem child ?

i appreciate all the input as well. thank you

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you even attempt to flat tow a vehicle with the steering locked you better have a big size advantage, such as towing a pick up truck with a 5 ton or you might end up upside down in the ditch!

M925A2 with dump hoist

sandcobra164

We have strayed from the topic slightly but I will offer this input. I lock the steering wheels on the M35 series trucks as they tend to turn the other way at low speeds. On 5 tons, this is not necessary as they have enough caster built into the axle perches to avoid doing that. I have had M35 trucks turn completely locked in the other direction stopping the combo completely.

maddeuce360

yes we did get off topic.

I should of started a separate thread.

Back on topic though, from the input im getting sounds like i wont have to worry to much about the nhc250 giving me to many problems. which is what i was hoping to hear.

red

The NHC250 is the baby of the N14 series engines, used in many 18 wheelers in the 80's and 90's. Not uncommon to find that series with around 1 million miles and still going. Cold weather starting is really the biggest problem the engine has, it's an ether baby.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you even attempt to flat tow a vehicle with the steering locked you better have a big size advantage, such as towing a pick up truck with a 5 ton or you might end up upside down in the ditch!

M925A2 with dump hoist
While we're off topic.... M35s have given my the most grief also. They do tend to try to fight you. I do the same thing - a short test pull.

From experience I can tell you that pulling a 1ton truck with a 5ton truck, and have the steering lock on the towed vehicle resulted in a severe bend to 1/2" thick steel plate and severe front tire damage. (Accidental steering lock)

If you can't get it to track without locking the steering, trailer it....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NH250 is generally rated for 600,000 miles. If you don't alter it, it'll live forever....

Also, you may notice that those of us who have had bunches of these army trucks of both kinds tend to prefer the NH250 over the 8.3. (Not everyone of course, but there's a tendency)

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, you may notice that those of us who have had bunches of these army trucks of both kinds tend to prefer the NH250 over the 8.3. (Not everyone of course, but there's a tendency)
It's that extra whopping 10 HP you get with the NHC250!

Seriously though, I fall into this group due to a long held personal preference way before I got into MVs. I've always prefered actual cubes, as opposed to power adders and bolt-ons used to get the same result. I also require the bottom end torque of the NHC250 for the majority of what I do that doesn't involve just driving.

red

For me it comes down to use. If it's going to be loaded most of the time (like a wrecker) I want the bigger motor. If it will alternate empty/loaded I'd rather have the smaller motor for the fuel efficiency when unloaded.

sandcobra164

Now that we are back on topic, I prefer the old school NHC250 over the 8.3 powered trucks. Both are great engines and with regular maintenance should last about as long as we live. I like the instant throttle response off the line when pulling a load. I operated a M936A2 until the M1089 series wreckers showed up in the National Guard. Before that, I operated a M936A1 and in my opinion, it would pull harder than either of those two trucks through the gears. My current wrecker is a M1089A1P2 and while the A/C is great for going down the road, it is a dog when lift towing another truck behind it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Now that we are back on topic, I prefer the old school NHC250 over the 8.3 powered trucks. Both are great engines and with regular maintenance should last about as long as we live. I like the instant throttle response off the line when pulling a load. I operated a M936A2 until the M1089 series wreckers showed up in the National Guard. Before that, I operated a M936A1 and in my opinion, it would pull harder than either of those two trucks through the gears. My current wrecker is a M1089A1P2 and while the A/C is great for going down the road, it is a dog when lift towing another truck behind it.
And even worse when you bury it in the mud right? :p

71DeuceAK

The point about loades vs. unloaded for a preference is something I find interesting. For daily-driving one of these, though, it makes sense; a little less torque for 2X the fuel economy is a no-brainer. (I've literally considered daily driving a M939A2 cargo truck).

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The point about loades vs. unloaded for a preference is something I find interesting. For daily-driving one of these, though, it makes sense; a little less torque for 2X the fuel economy is a no-brainer. (I've literally considered daily driving a M939A2 cargo truck).
The comparison point is 5mpg to 9mpg. Anything else is an outlier.

Edit - if I were going to use one of these as a daily driver (I'm not) it'd be an M931A2. Easier to back, nimbler, and fits easily into a standard parking spot.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I'd go dollars to donuts that the majority of owners here have the 250 powered trucks because they were much lower cost to acquire. A2 not only had the double-efficient and half weight engine, but CTIS, and other tricks. I believe it is the 8.3L that is rated @ 10hp above the NHC-250. 4mpg vs 10mpg will tear a hole in your pocket pretty quickly. I have and love my 8.3L, but I sound like a school bus if at a stop light next to a 250 engine, both at idle. People can't even give away running 250 engines for free (not even for scrap unless driven in). 8.3's fetch $2500 and higher any day of the week.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think we all know that we could afford and find a nice 916 920 HEMTT and HET. We would all have one and not complain one **** bit about fuel economy. Happy to watch the needle drop

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks