• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what u guys think??

powersmoke18

Well guys the new toy is in my driveway, after a very long weekend!!! Got home today at 5pm. here’s how the trip went via time line the pictures will help illustrate. On Friday at 3:30 am I awoke to my alarm this is where it begins..... My friend and I got on a train bound for NYPENN station where we were to meet up with the next train that would take us to Rocky Mount NC. We arrived at the city got on the next train and everything was going great!! Then about 5 hours into are trip we were informed that CXS had been working on the track ahead and that it was going to take an hour to clear the equipment left on the track. Not a big deal what’s an hour?? Right??? Well we found ourselves in Richmond VA. Stopped in the station for something to drink. And casually walked back to the train.... as we rounded the corner we saw the conductor waving her hands frantically in a run motion!!! So we took off. Jumped on the train and then.... waited another 40 mins before we left the station. So the train started on its way. Then the AMTRAK employees told us that for the next 4 miles they are limited to 5 mph. again not too worried!! Heck in a few hours I would be behind the wheel of my 5 ton and on the way to NJ. We finally arrived at the station where Scotty the first ladies man of the trip picked us up in his V6 minivan. About 1.5 hours later after Scotty knew the way then didn't then did, we arrived at Winslow’s!! I saw my truck and was so impressed!!! It was beautiful!!! Pete and John went over the whole truck with me and got me set up to leave. We hit the road and headed for the fuel station. Once we arrived there we found out that my credit card wouldn’t work. The station attendant had to enter in manually. That got us $100 work of diesel. I went back in to reswipe and bam...... credit card was declined.... so I said to my friend “we will just drive till we see a place to eat and try again. We ended up eating at a Logan’s roadhouse and the card stated working again!! Kind of odd but I was happy!! We filled up the other tank and got underway. Made it about 29 miles into VA and smelled something burning so I pulled off at exit 31 on 95. When I came to the stop sign we were in a cloud of smoke. O crap!!! We drove a little further trying to get to the shell station and I notice a lovely yellow light coming from under the truck. It was on fire!! We hopped out and went under the truck blew out the flames and saw a lovely sight..... The rear end was glowing bright red!!!!! I was to say the least a little worried!!!! We put the truck in 1st and idled to the station. Once there we were informed that there was a $35 fee to park you truck overnight and it needed to be paid immediately. Being the cheapskate I am I got in the truck and idled it down to the Stony Creek Tastee Hut. Where we decided after finding out that all the hotels were booked in the surrounding area, that we would sleep on the picnic table. It was nice out and we had nowhere else to go!! So sleep began!!! Around 2am I awoke to my friend cursing!! Apparently a dog had come up and licked his face. I saw the dog running off into the woods it was kind of nuts. So we went back to sleep. At 3am we awoke to rain..... LOTS of rain!!!!! Now we were under the buildings awning soaked!!! Waiting for the rain to stop so we could get back to the truck!!! Around 4am we made a run for the truck and got in. let me tell you 2 guys falling asleep upright in a 5ton cab is prolly the worst thing you could ever do!!! The next morning we couldn’t even move. Our legs and backs were soooo cramped up!! So around 8:45AM Pete and John started to get their truck ready to pick us up and take us back to the shop. We walked around for a bit and then got food at the hut!! It was by far one of the best places I have ever eaten at on a trip!!! I was truly shocked!!! Well around 1pm John showed up and loaded the truck onto his flatbed and we headed back to the shop. Pete had another axle setup for me as soon as we got there. Free of charge they replaced the axle and towed me to the shop!! It was great!!! Within 2 hours we were back on the road!!! It was now 5pm we hit the road and made it to Chester VA. Where we at dinner and went to bed!!!! In a bed!!! Not the truck!!! THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! Well 9am this morning we hit the road and made it home around 5pm. I’m now in my house, WARM AND DRY!!! Needless to say I am very satisfied with the truck and I feel that John Winslow and Pete Caldwell are some of the best people in this industry!!! Great guys and totally stand behind what they build!!!! So without further waiting..... The pics!!!!

Attachments

DMgunn

What an adventure! Glad to hear everything worked out in the end. And now you know what kind of people you were dealing with - customer service like that is worth alot these days.

This is one of those weekends that you will always remember fondly.........well, maybe not just yet, but in time :wink:.

Pappa-G

Thats what the hobbie is all about..... Out there making memories!
The truck looks GREAT! I like the fact that you retained the stock spare tire location.
Nice Work. ~ Pappa-g

70deuce

Excellent truck. Any tendency to porpoise on the road? One suggestion if I may, turn your mushroom cap 180 degrees so the flap is facing front. If you do drive in rain it minimizes rain ingestion into the air cleaner

powersmoke18

yes the rear hubs are flipped!! well the trucks purpose is for fun. i got bigger trucks for hauling heavy stuff. ya the intake cap has been flipped the right way now!!! and ill work on those fender pics!!! kinda busy just got outta school and starting my summer job!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks