• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What wheels are on your humvee?

Thumper580

But what about backspacing?

Kinda looks like an mrap wheel with an adapter plate, especially with the center cap removed.

mod how do you like those tires?
These are +6 and work perfectly. I had the same wheels on my old 988 with -18 and they were fine as well, just stuck out about an inch more.

Vapor Trail

I just got +20 wheels 17x9 and by my calculations they're going to stick out about 1.5" to 2". There are conversations on here and videos on Youtube about backspacing but no backspacing conversation works without a comment on wheel width. One Humvee builder talked for a whole video about backspacing and never mentioned wheel width which means everything he said is worthless. A -44 wheel could stick out less or more than a -18 wheel depending on wheel width.

springer1981

I did a chart on available wheels and offsets vs rim width when I was looking for a set of rims and tires. Also included different available tires. I did it 2 years ago and some of the options have probably changed since then. One of my primary concerns was wheel offset and how much further they would stick out from stock. In the chart there is a column "Ex Width" or Extended Width, this is the approximate difference the tire would stick out further than stock, on each side. So if is says "1.50" then it is 1.5 inches past stock or 3 inches wider overall.

Maybe this will be helpful to someone. I went with Hummer H2 wheels and working on modifying a stock set of rims to fit 37" tires.

Attachments

Thumper580

Thanks for the great picture.

so off road, if a wheel were to bottom out the suspension, do you think it would hit the fender? There’s a lot more clearance with the tires inside completely .
There appears to be about 8-10" from the top of the rear tire to the fender well. Since it has independent suspension the wheels would angle inward as the suspension was compressed. I can't confirm 100% as I haven't been rock climbing......so take this with a grain of salt.

kromby

I am finishing up my M1114 build and have been going back and forth on wheel choices. Some back of the napkin, real rough numbers I used for looking at the bearing loading with higher offset wheels:

Unarmored hub load/Max GVW hub load 1750lb/3750lb (@50/50 which i know isnt striclty true). From my measurements it looks like the tire centerline on a stock wheel lines up with the outer spindle bearing certerline, give or take.

Using simple class 2 lever Calc for outer bearing: +12mm, 0mm, -18mm offset yields +40٪, +50٪ and +69٪ outer bearing loading WRT stock offset. The -18mm wheel total load looks to be less than a fully armored and loaded truck on a stock offset wheel by about 800lb. There are still other issues IE deflection, possible seal issues, inner bearing loading, larger scrub radius etc. Thoughts?

I would like to see more pics of ~0 offset wheels.

Also, Thumper it has been my experience that unlike passenger cars where the camber increases and the track width decreases with bump the hmmwv suspention track width looks to widen on bump. I havent profiled the curve, it's based on observation and control arm angle for what it's worth.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just stumbled on this, https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News/Article/3056573/hmmwv-new-winter-tire-assembly/ , says that military has now approved the KO2 tires. But I don't see any in the standard 37x12.50R16.5LT size. The article sounds like it's sent as an assembly, which makes me wonder if these are custom tires or they're the 37x12.50x17LT that are commercially available on a new wheel.

Figured this might be relevant to the discussion, if there really is a new wheel. (I've been unable to find any information beyond that article.)

blackdeath33

Just for you information the KO2 tire is on a 17in rim and the Army will be utilizing the COTS process for it. I attached the testing work process the USACE's did for the "Winter Tires" and it listed they used a 17in rim in the packet. However, I haven't been able to find any additional specifications outside of the tires themselves.

Happy hunting.

Attachments

blackdeath33

Just for you information the KO2 tire is on a 17in rim and the Army will be utilizing the COTS process for it. I attached the testing work process the USACE's did for the "Winter Tires" and it listed they used a 17in rim in the packet. However, I haven't been able to find any additional specifications outside of the tires themselves.

Happy hunting.
Update on the new tire, here are the specifications:

Tire Data: Michelin North America, Inc.
COTS Name: (BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 37X12.50R17 LR D)

Military Data
Size: 37X12 50R17 124R
Overall Width (inch): 12.5 (on 8.5X17 Wheel)
Overall Diameter (inch): 36.5
Load Range: D
Maximum Tire Load (LBS): 3525
Wheel: Aluminum Forging; Hutchinson Industries, Inc.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update on the new tire, here are the specifications:

Tire Data: Michelin North America, Inc.
COTS Name: (BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 37X12.50R17 LR D)

Military Data
Size: 37X12 50R17 124R
Overall Width (inch): 12.5 (on 8.5X17 Wheel)
Overall Diameter (inch): 36.5
Load Range: D
Maximum Tire Load (LBS): 3525
Wheel: Aluminum Forging; Hutchinson Industries, Inc.
I wonder if it's related to the "Rock Monster" 60669 / WA-1174 wheel.. Listed as 17 x 8.5 (2-piece). 8 x 6.5" lug pattern.. (only one of that style)

Edit: Listed as a 4.51" backspace.. So this will push the wheels out a bit on a HMMWV (if I'm reading it right).

blackdeath33

I wonder if it's related to the "Rock Monster" 60669 / WA-1174 wheel.. Listed as 17 x 8.5 (2-piece). 8 x 6.5" lug pattern.. (only one of that style)

Edit: Listed as a 4.51" backspace.. So this will push the wheels out a bit on a HMMWV (if I'm reading it right).
I’ll look back at the wheel specs. It’s a Hutchinson 2 piece bead lock rim.

blackdeath33

So, this is the best I can do for you. The inner rim measurements:

6.930 inches from face of rim mating surface to outer edge.
Or

6.430 inches from face of rim mating surface to inner edge of bead wall.

Mating surface is were the two rims bolt together.

bead-wall - were tire mates to rim.

Hope this helps you determine some offsets

kromby

What I ended up getting: Black rhino axle 18x9.5 +6mm offset with Toyo 38x13.5 tires. The bore is slightly larger so take care when installing. The actual dimensional differences between the tires are 1.25" taller (unloaded), 1.1" wider tread width as expected but a 2.1" greater width due to the side lugs. Thus width makes it look like a 14.5" wide tire without the extra rolling resistance. The truck is a M1114 so the springs are a bit softer than a rev which gives a fender clearance of 5.5 in the front and 7.25 in the rear so ymmv for poke. The rear still has +2 deg of camber and the front has +0.5.

20230819_104915.jpg20230823_143638.jpg20230818_103639.jpg20230818_120048.jpgScreenshot_20230822_091003_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

What I ended up getting: Black rhino axle 18x9.5 +6mm offset with Toyo 38x13.5 tires. The bore is slightly larger so take care when installing. The actual dimensional differences between the tires are 1.25" taller (unloaded), 1.1" wider tread width as expected but a 2.1" greater width due to the side lugs. Thus width makes it look like a 14.5" wide tire without the extra rolling resistance. The truck is a M1114 so the springs are a bit softer than a rev which gives a fender clearance of 5.5 in the front and 7.25 in the rear so ymmv for poke. The rear still has +2 deg of camber and the front has +0.5. View attachment 904297View attachment 904298View attachment 904299View attachment 904300View attachment 904301
Looks great, I like that stick out. What coating is that on the body?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious if there is a non 16.5" tire/rim option that would be as close to stock as possible, I do not want them to stick out and do not need them any taller.

SmartDrug

I am curious if there is a non 16.5" tire/rim option that would be as close to stock as possible, I do not want them to stick out and do not need them any taller.
AFAIK Black Rhino makes their "Arsenal" wheel in +12mm, which I believe makes it just about flush. I can't confirm that as I'm part of the sketchy -18 crew, sticking out the sides, begging for my spindle nuts and wheel bearings to fail.

EDIT: Disregard - from what I was able to determine, stock wheels have a +55 offset, so you're looking at 4.3cm of flare or about 1.75".

Last edited:

kromby

@Vaportrail:
Thanks! Coating is UPOL: Epoxy primer, raptor 2k via schutz gun with a few 10min drop coats. Black interior/bed and tintable using their basalt gray color on the outside. It lives up to the reviews, great stuff so far, tough as nails, easy to put down, touchy to get an exact uniform texture/gloss on the whole truck.

@Mogman:
I like the MM Hutchinsons with ~stock offset (+54mm) but I wanted to fill out the fender without going to a 15.5" wide tire. Link

@SmartDrug: This guy says these Aresenal's are +12mm and shows a good comparison: Link

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks