• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why are CUCV prices so much higher that Civi Chevs

sandcobra164

2deuce, It Won MV of the Month in May against some awesome competition. He really didn't have a chance but if you read through some of my campaign posts, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. I agree it probably should not be driven but if you read that thread along with a thread you can find easily in the CUCV Forum by searching "NOS USMC", you'll learn that this M1028 is not really owned by me but by my 7 year old son. He loves to ride in it and for that reason, it'll never leave this yard unless he's in it.

the skull

I really thought someone would have said this before now, but i guess I'll say it.
CUCV's command a higher price because they are that much more awesome!
Apparently they cross the Ford/Dodge/GM line, I have met folks that say
"I'm not a Chevy fan, but that's an awesome truck!"

cucvrus

I am a fan of a vehicle that just keeps running and running and never lets me down. And I have found that to be the CUCV. I have few CUCV's that I want to sell. But when I do I ask top money because that is how much they are worth and I see what you can buy for the same money with the same equipment. Nothing even comes close. CUCV to the bone. I sell a CV pick up for $4,000 and pay $14,000 for a Kobota side by side. Even a decent Honda 4 wheeler costs $8,000. So there you have it in a nut shell. haul a full load of wood and go on the road. Or make 10 trips into the woods and haul it to your truck then haul it home. I like the drive into the woods get the wood load it and drive home at 70mph with no problems and in total safety. Remember this is an opinion not a verified fact. But it is true. And it is on the internet so it has to be TRUE.

tim292stro

I think that gets to the other side of the equation. In addition to the material value many of us are familiar with, the emotional value of these trucks it probably higher than the steel/vinyl/rubber/paint value for various reasons:

"It's my trusty steed..."
"First time I made out with my Sergeant's sister was in the back of an M1009..."
"It saved my @$$ in Grenada..."
"Reminds me of a few good friends I lost..."

Many reasons for a seller to ask for more if it's worth it to them.

I think this is why one of the sellers out here ended up passing on the sale - he listed it for $5,700 probably thinking there is no way anyone would pay that. When I showed up cash in hand, he dodged and weaved, and when I really got serious about working around every issue with his schedule that blocked the sale, he said it was "too stressful to sell it..." I think he was really attached to it, and really didn't want to sell, but was going through the motions only.

2deuce

I believe in the original CUCV, no mods. When people remove the bumper guard (yeah it's heavy)or drive around without the shackles they loose that military look which is so important. I have considered a few mods to enhance performance, but they can't be visible such as an overdrive trans or turbo.
I like the military look and thought I might add the radios, and antenna someday. I think I have everything. I should do it.
As far as reliability goes I trust my CUCV to go anywhere. Just not as fast as everyone else. Which keeps me out of trouble. My M1009 has an issue with a vibration, but I still drive it everywhere. I'll start another thread on that.

welpro222

I don't mind mods for my cucv, but the grill guard and shackles stay in place. The guard/shackles with the green paint is what makes it stand out from the civi trucks.

NovacaineFix

I believe in the original CUCV, no mods. When people remove the bumper guard (yeah it's heavy)or drive around without the shackles they loose that military look which is so important. I have considered a few mods to enhance performance, but they can't be visible such as an overdrive trans or turbo.
I like the military look and thought I might add the radios, and antenna someday. I think I have everything. I should do it.
As far as reliability goes I trust my CUCV to go anywhere. Just not as fast as everyone else. Which keeps me out of trouble. My M1009 has an issue with a vibration, but I still drive it everywhere. I'll start another thread on that.
Well the antenna add-on is simple, the antenna on the civi model is embedded in the windshield, so all you need is a new windshield and the antenna connection parts and you won't loose that military look. All the parts are available on LMC Truck.

2deuce

I'll also add that I try to buy airforce trucks whenever possible. They are much better taken care of. The cabs aren't sat on, hoods not broke in the middle. The have a different shade of OD. Every one I've had was runway clean underneath too. Marine corps next, less abuse, good cabs. Army are usually beat up, guys sit on the cab with their feet on the hood, and higher mileage too.
If your buying the supposed low mileage example, and the seat is all ripped up you can bet the odometer is rolled over, or replaced. You will find the dash is always cracked unless it never saw the sun. There is a M1009 on CL in my area that says it has 11k with rough interior and the rare 8 lug axles. Let the buyer beware as they say. It is on Portland CL now. Take a look. There is a cheaper one that looks better too. If it still has the floor mat make sure you check underneath. That is another thing about AF models, the floor is always coated/rustproofed, by rust still attacks it, so always check. I used to buy CUCV's reasonable but not anymore. They command more $ now than ever because there is no surplus market. If you buy one drive it, take care of it and you should sell it for a profit or at least break even, a few years down the road. The danger is you may not be able to sell, because your too attached to it. It's hard to say but it's either you become attached to it or it becomes a part of you.

2deuce

Nova, I've driven a CUCV for so long that if I drive something else, I still don't turn on the radio, and I don't miss it, but that is just me.

2deuce

I hope they didn't hack the dash on you or cut holes in the doors for speakers. I hate it when that happens. I still have one of the 1st ones I bought where someone tried to sound proof the interior and I never took the stereo out because It would have a hole I couldn't cover. My son drives it now and the stereo never had speakers attached. I think it would work if it did. This M1009 being one of my 1st CUCV's and driving it everywhere towing way more than I should have, running waste oil in it, never gave me any problems, but did give me many fun memories. I did mod this M1009 with a AC condenser as a transmission cooler for towing other CUCV's on a car trailer although I don't recommend doing that. It is not a towing qualified vehicle in any way. Don't try it!

CUCVLOVER

I installed a stereo in mine. Just simple small pioneer.
I put my 2 6x9s behind the seat in ammo cans and 2 2.5 in speakers in a ammo can mounted beside the 4x4 shifter, one day I'll add cup holders to the lid.
But it turned out nice, a simple clean small stereo, the head unit has a black bezel and I have the color set to green.

The po had installed a new windshield with tint on top and it had the wire in it, so a $5 wire with plug from a pull apart and I was good to go.
I have also installed a tiny tach from autometer, I used one of the dash bezel screws to hold it. I also added a oil presses gauge next to the volt gauge, all these could be removed if needed.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They still make 2 post radios so that one doesn't need to mutilate the sheetmetal. With todays Ipods and phones and such, it would make sense to just hide an amp and speakers with a plug for your media player of choice.

tim292stro

For the M1009 I just bought, I'll be obtaining new door cards to install speakers in the front, and using ammo cans in the back (speakers, sub). Putting a piece of sheet metal under each of the front 2 seats to attach the amps to, "CarPuter" in the center ammo can. Display bolted to the radio mount on the dash. CB/FM/WB antennas using RAMI multiband multiplexer and a pair of 3512/VRC antennas, WiFi and Cellular (for the CarPuter to talk to the world) using Taoglas stick-on antennas on the rear side windows - all removable or "correct" *cough*. Exterior reflective striping will be on magnetic sheeting (removable), and auxiliary lights and license plate mounts will be using existing bolt holes. Any changes to the wiring harness will be done to one harness with an factory harness available to the next owner (although I think the original harness might have already been altered).

No new holes drilled or anything cut out - I want to retain the value of the truck as a potential collector's item.

penokeevet

My M1008 and M1009 are original and will stay that way. I drove the M38A1, Sedans, Deuce and 5 ton 60 years ago in Korea, Japan, Colorado, DC, etc. with Engineer Aviation Battalions and other Engineering units. copy of my blue military drivers License should be published in the Military Vehicle Magazine in the future. I state the previous only as backup for my reason to own and drive the CUCV,s. I never drove them (after my time), but owning and puttering with them reminds me of the times I drove military vehicles and enjoyed the Military Life in general. I'm an 80 year old F---, who is proud to have served. In summary, my reason for having the vehicles is pretty much emotional. (Grandkids like them too.)

NovacaineFix

My M1008 and M1009 are original and will stay that way. I drove the M38A1, Sedans, Deuce and 5 ton 60 years ago in Korea, Japan, Colorado, DC, etc. with Engineer Aviation Battalions and other Engineering units. copy of my blue military drivers License should be published in the Military Vehicle Magazine in the future. I state the previous only as backup for my reason to own and drive the CUCV,s. I never drove them (after my time), but owning and puttering with them reminds me of the times I drove military vehicles and enjoyed the Military Life in general. I'm an 80 year old F---, who is proud to have served. In summary, my reason for having the vehicles is pretty much emotional. (Grandkids like them too.)

It's an honor and I thank you for your service!

DSCN3753.jpgDSCN3747.jpgJust got this M-1028A1 (same as a 1008 it seems) on bid in our village for $670.00. Looked it over and as a somewhat mechanic I believe the millage is correct (7,548). Underside, exhaust and engine parts are somewhat like new. Just signs of sitting. Our City (250 max people) gets these military rigs to use out here and this one they decided they didn't want. No one bid on it first time around cause they saw the air cleaner off and thought the carburetor and top of engine was missing (don't have much CUCV bid competition here). Soon as I saw that millage I quietly bid second time around and got it. So now I'm a CUCV forum junky as I need to fix it up and keep it running. My old 73 International finally bit the dust so this is much needed for hauling wood and fish etc. Only got 20-30 miles of road here but all gravel and dirt so need a tough truck. Like your site and very helpful info. Been looking all over. Stan Z up in Tanana, Alaska

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks