• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why did you buy your deuce

OD_Coyote

I bought mine because I wanted a truck that looked cool, was relatively simple to maintain (No computers or electric whatits), has a greater load capacity than a 1 ton piclup and it looks cool. Also, I like things OD in color, diesels and trucks that look cool.
BTW - Did I mention what cool looking trucks M35s are? [thumbzup]

sak00

I have to admit, I wanted something everyone else didn't have. Big, ugly, OD chuck of iron. Now I use it to advertise my wife's real estate business. I does get noticed.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have been around mil vehicles most of my adult life and have driven many of them at one time or another.
I like the fact that they are simple, easy to work on, available, and can mash any dufus that is dumb enough to pull out in front of you.
I bought the duece when I got outbid on three 5 ton tractors. I just couldn't wait any longer.
I just bought a 5 ton tractor and four more dueces. I'll keep the 5 ton and flip the dueces (to include my other one) to support my "Green Iron Addiction".
I usually go to the flea market every Sat. just too meet folks, discuss the hobby and check out the reaction of people when they ask "What do you do with that thing".

pa.rich

Why you say???? I will keep it brief. I am 55 years young, and I'll be darned if I am going to stop having fun now! I dont have my five ton on the road yet, but once I do, I will be driving it until I have to be lifted into it with a winch lift. And when I find out I am going to die, I might just run over a few cars with it just for the fun of it. Empty cars of course. Of annoying people. Everyone knows a few. :shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine because I needed something smaller to drive to the store. Except for the lack of PS, the deuce fits much better at the parking lot of the local grocer than does the old M54A2 I had. Same with the deuce crane. Needed a smaller vehicle.

kcimb

I want to buy one..

A) I am trying to increase my carbon footprint
B) I have the desire to preserve American History
C) I Love big and noisy trucks
D) I need something to haul the future ferret
E)I will never allow myself to be limited during natural disasters

FreightTrain

Banned
simple.Cause I am American and I can......Side benefits.....it pisses off greeny types,Scares the crap out of hippy types and honda drivers,For a while it kept the natives outta my yard till the recent group decided to tempt fate and steal some weapons,Just flat bitchin to pull up to the Machinegun shoot in a real peice of military hardware and lastly......the general public look at you real strange when you park at walmart or the mall.....

rgregj

With both my parents former Army, (my father spent twenty years and my mother five) and spending my younger years with my father in the motor pool, I could think of no better way to honor him. He is a Vietnam veteran and we are hoping to restore the vehicle to Vietnam era colors with his unit's markings and bumper numbers. An added bonus is meeting all the vets that come to talk when we are at parades or rest stops. I wish I had only gotten one earlier. Plus the kids really love it!

Greg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid there was a logging supply company in town and they would get some in every now and then. Every time we would pass by I'd beg dad to stop and look. Sometimes we would and I'd climb all over them. When I got older it passed a little but when I passed one on the road I'd look over and say "I sure would like to have one of them some day". A while back I was needing a truck to work around on the farm so I finally got the opportunity to "justify" buying one. I got bit by the bug and now I have two and a m715.
BEWARE- It won't won't stop with just one. These things are more addictive than drugs.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I guess I fell in love with them as an Army transporter. It was out deuce that held the ring mount,
it was our duece that started every other truck in the cold New England winters,
it was our duece that we made into a gun truck,
it was our deuce that hauled our food and bullets,
it was our duece that got tasked to plow snow on the post,
it was our deuce that got uploaded on our M 872's to use at the field for a get around vehicle.

It hauls all of my tools and guns when I want it to, it gets 12 MPG on almost any oily substance, and when I found one for sale with a winch for $3,000 with only 6K miles on it I bought it because the FMTV fleet was deadlined at that time for driveshaft issues. If the Army didn't want it anymore I did. Right now it is storing my tents and tools while I am in Korea

I figured it would be fun for when I retired.

This was all before I found out about Steel Soldiers and now it is even way better because of all the good stuff I have learned and the great friends I have here.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Dad was in the service and when I was younger, he always spoke very highly of them; in terms of their reliability, their capability and just how plain cool they are. At some point, I decided I wanted one but for reasons of practicality, I had to wait until I owned a home to get one.

Once I had a house with some room, I went out looking for one. I really figured I wouldn't get a whole lot of real use out of it...........but it has actually been a huge help. With a cargo cover on it, it doubles as a giant mobile storage unit, I have pulled trees down and stumps out with it, I can buy yard supplies or lumber in bulk and I can back up and dump the stuff exactly where I need it. I can pull trailers that would break my F-150 in half................ And it can do all this in places a normal truck can't get close too.

All while being cheap (few thousand $ acqusition price), $22 license plate & $200 a year insurance.

As RDixieMiller says "At that price, why wouldn't you buy one?"

alphadeltaromeo

clinto said:
As RDixieMiller says "At that price, why wouldn't you buy one?"
Amen...

Sometimes there are complaints at the prices at GL...but for what you get, I really don't see how we can complain that much. Yes, I know that direct from DRMO were the golden years, but I wasn't around for that. Looking at the value proposition in purchasing a deuce in todays economy, it's one of the very best purchases I've ever made.

dmetalmiki

worked for U.S.A/F.E. liked the..tackle..I bought my first deuce in holland and DROVE it back! fanastic experience..(especialy at customs who "pretended I wasn't there"!) and waved me through..I fitted a 5 ton spec engine .and whistler.. and you can't imagine the performance..(can you?) on 1200x20 tyres..it simply fly's!..I KEEP to 2000 rpm..cruise = 60 mph! AND 15 M.P.G...my 5 ton was "sad abondoned in a field" and I pesterd the owner for TWO years untill I finaly got it and restored it! once infected I had a "thing" got an M45(duece) fire fighting unit..and ..(juss in case...YEP! a wrecker..M62...err..I have a chekslavian PRAGA to camp in!.and a ww11 ford MB.gpw...two ex army M/cycles..a KAT! 2 dogs.....you KNOW? how it iz..(some people collect..<stamps>

dabtl

My son is a Vietnam reenactor. He wanted it. I bought it. I work on it. It takes me away from work, is fun to mess with and for the most part it is easy enough to repair.

Today I drove it in the UNT homecoming parade. I have a lot more respect for my son now! Wow! The back end was full of Vietnam Vets and a great time was had by all. My left leg is still cramping.\

Next comes the Veterans Day Parade in Dallas. I will let my son drive, thank you very much.

But mostly I bought it because it looked to be a fun thing to have around. It has been.

sermis

Wife got a new car, son got a pickup truck to go to school so I got an ambulance. 1967 M725. Love it but at 6.5mpg ouch. Wife got another new car so I got a deuce just because. I put air assist on it and really helped the steering. 60-70% beter. Rotater cuff issues. If it had power steering I would drive it as a daily driver, well if I finished painting it I would.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always liked trucks, and I've always liked MVs. I drove trucks for the Army National Guard, and after I left there, I bought a deuce so I could still enjoy the thrill of driving a big, green, Army truck! Also, where I live, there are a bunch of schmucks that think their diesel pick-ups are loud and smokey, and they try to scare/impress people with them. They kind of back-off on them when the deuce is rolling.

Besides, an MV at auction, or in a lot somewhere, is like a dog at the pound. They're in need of a home, and if they don't get one soon, it'll be too late.

Ever looked into the face of a dog at the pound? Same as the look on a deuce to me. I'd have them all in my yard if I could.

(Don't laugh long-time SS members! You know the feeling!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks