• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why did you buy your deuce

moosebgy

The wife told me to shut up and buy one. She got tired of hearing about how great of a vehicle they are and it would be a good rig for when I retire. Alaskan SUV (super utility vehicle).

steelandcanvas

I fell for the OD Iron as a teenager, went for my first ride in a deuce at 16. Went to see a friend of mine in the Army and we snuck a Deuce out of the motorpool, took it for a joyride, brought it back unscathed, fueled it up, and put it back on line. Joined the military at 18 as a heavy vehicle operator, and drove all the deuces and 5 tons I wanted! Now midlife, I wanted to restore something fairly old and mechanical, looked at tractors, they were cool, but you have to trailer them everywhere. Thought about a COE (cab over engine) truck, late '40s or '50s, too hard to come by something decent. Then it came to me while looking at some pictures I'd taken of vehicles I was had been responsible for during my 2 tours of duty...A DEUCE! Now I am the proud owner of a 1971 M35A2 made by the AM General Company, which my wife lovingly refers to as "The Other Woman". We live in little town in Eastern Colorado, so I'll use it for Veterans Day Parades, Armed Forces Day Parades, helping our church move things around, being available for diasters, etc. I enjoy the waves and thumbs up I get whenever I drive "Her". Learn all you can about your truck, because people will ask all kinds of questions, know the weight, top speed, payload capacity, fuel capacity, engine dispalcement, etc. As far as working on your truck goes, be prepared to do some maintenance to protect your investment, not too worry, basic mechanical skills and the desire to learn will take you a long way. The SS crew is wealth of information, lots of smart guys out there and willing to help. Get manuals (book form or CD) they will guide you through almost everything. And lastly, WELCOME, and enjoy your truck!

Flea

My lovely wife actually agreed without hesitation.

She's pregnant (our first), and is due to give birth in about a month. As soon as she recovers, she plans to take it to the mall to go shopping for a day... you know, just because. She's always wanted an H2 *shudder* and when she saw how big this thing was, now she wants to use it to show all the yuppie moms driving them what a REAL off-road vehicle looks like.

I have found a keeper, methinks...

Reactions: HDN

steelandcanvas

Flea said:
My lovely wife actually agreed without hesitation.

She's pregnant (our first), and is due to give birth in about a month. As soon as she recovers, she plans to take it to the mall to go shopping for a day... you know, just because. She's always wanted an H2 *shudder* and when she saw how big this thing was, now she wants to use it to show all the yuppie moms driving them what a REAL off-road vehicle looks like.

I have found a keeper, methinks...
Oh Yeah, that's a keeper all right!

KaiserM109

There is a place in Western Colorado where you can see for over 100 miles; all the way into Utah. It takes a 4x4 (now 6x6) to get there and my wife has never seen it in the 35 yr. we've been married. I'm a country boy and she's a flatland city girl. My deuce-with-a-box is going to take us there and we are going to take the kitchen sink with us.

Opie

KaiserM109,

I wish I could get Mrs. Opie to take an extended trip with me...She thinks I'm daft and isn't likely to partake in the fun...

I bought my deuce because during the Blizzard of 1979 in Washington, DC I remembered hearing the requests on the radio for help getting nurses to the hospitals. Now I'M a nurse and need to get there. Plus, all the others on graduating from nursing school spent $35K on an Explorer. I spent 10% of that, and have lots left over for diesel (which is a LOT...).

kipman

It started with my head turning at every parade in lancaster Ohio that had a mv, one guy has a near perfect halftrac, 1942 . The fever came on slow like a bad chest cold but will not be cured.I am waiting on my m35 until uncle sam sees fit to clear my euc. I stop buy once every couple weeks to start her up and make sure she is not lonley, I know pretty lame but SS was to blame for this.

Biggles

What else are you going to drive after the apocalypse? I imagine that no matter what kind of apocalypse we have fuel will be a precious commodity. being able to drive on crap other people can't will be awful handy. Plus I have all the confidence int he world that my Deuce can plow through legions of zombies without suffering major damage.

TigerHawk

I was looking for a work truck, to find a truck that would hold ALL of my tools, diesel, and 4 wheel drive would have cost me a fortune! SO, I got an M35A2! So now I have a mobile shop! Plus I always wanted one! The big kid in me!

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I got my deuce to move from one house to another 700+ miles away. It towed a M1061 trailer during the move and GVW was....we'll just leave it at a WHOLE LOT. I still have a second load to pick up at somepoint.

It took from 130 pm to 1020 am the next day to make the 700+ miles. No significant issues and I was amazed my butt didn't hurt since it was a standard box seat. Guess all my personnally owned padding paid off. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks