• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 CUCV M1009 build thread

Mohawk Dave

Hey guys/girls,

Little update on mods. Built a center console this weekend. It holds an ice chest as well, which doubles as an armrest. Inverter and 12v/usb up front.

Also added some 7" Hellas to the front.

And added another FAK. I put it on the driver side door. My fullsize FAK is in the rear, and I learned on the last camping trip that we need bandaids/kerlix/tape/neosporin up front for small injuries.

Happy Trails,

Dave

Attachments

jdeoliveira74

Yep, what I did for now was buy 6 to 8 lug adapters, (they are 2-piece) and are 2" thick. This is temporary until I get the D60/14 axles.

Being 2" thick is two-fold. One it spaces the rim which I needed, and two it put the load near center of wheel, so I do not have negative stress on the spindle or the wheel bearings, which I would've if it was possible to run stock HMMWV wheels.

So once I get the D60/14 in, I can have them recentered as needed by TWF. Also, I will be removing the "bullet proof Magnesium run-flats" or whatever they are, and will be buying and installing the low profile ones from TWF so I can air down.

I have aired down to 18 PSI and do not think I was hitting the run flat as many internet-heros claim. However, these tires are dang-tuff, so there wasn't a lot of side wall flex anyway.

And as to the strength of the adapters, I have yet to locate one person that has broke them. I have acquaintances that have pre-runners down here in our deserts and they run them- due to lack of funds for extending track width, and they do not break theres either. I have done some Moderate+ trails, and had some weight on one front tire, and have not had a problem. IMHO, you'd have to be breaking more than just the adapters to cause problems. However, I still want the D60/14, because, afterall, that is the correct way. But for now, this suffices, and we're having a blast.

Best wishes,

Dave

I have searched the web for spacers not having much luck.. where did you get yours from?
thanks
great build so jealous
jon

Smokingman

Love the truck,that thing is looking great! With all the electronics you are running have you thought about a 24V inverter? I have one running off of the 24V buss in the cargo area.

Mohawk Dave

Love the truck,that thing is looking great! With all the electronics you are running have you thought about a 24V inverter? I have one running off of the 24V buss in the cargo area.
Thought about it, liked it, but as I am going with the 6BT, 12 volt will be permanent. I would like to get a sine-wave 3k+ inverter for bigger stuff though. Time and Money my friend. There are not enough hours in the day and my pockets are too shallow sometimes. lol

-Dave

Mohawk Dave

How well does the trucks gearing respond to the 37s?
Pretty doggish off the get-go. Does take a certain way of driving to help it out. But for freeway it cruises 72 at 2200 rpm. but goin up hills, i have to get in slow lane. Up the Cajon Pass I downshift into 2nd and pretty much redline at 2800rpm to stay at 55mph. Going to Mammoth I drop down to 34mph in 2nd. So, it's a PITA actually. I think 3.73s would be a lot better. I'm going 4.11s when I put in the 6BT Cummins, but I'll have a gear-vendor too. Oh yea, real rock climbing now sucks sometimes b/c of the 3.08s.

-Dave

Mohawk Dave

Herculiner

Ok, so I went with Herculiner. 1.75 Gallons. About 4 coats over whole thing. I do not see this sound deading and heat/cold supressing as much as I was optimistically hoping for. Also, dirt/debris will be a real mutha trying to clean out of the Herculiner. For these reasons I am going to order an ACC Vinyl Kit for the cabin area (tan color). Easy clean up and will cut down on noise/heat/cold. I am toying with the idea of putting HUSHMAT on the backside of the vinyl as well.

I have also brainstormed and will build a metal frame RAT-PACK that will have 2 drawers. The whole thing will fit behind the backseat, so it will measure 4' wide and 3'deep, 15" tall: which is how tall my backseat is when folded down. That way I can grab the piece of plywood that fits on top of the rat pack, move it forward to lay upon the folded back seat, and now we have a 6' bed that is 15" off the floor. (A 2x4 willl span the B-Pillars of the rollcage for the front sheet of plywood to have support). Hopefully I can build that next week or two.

Here are pics of the Herculiner. Stripped truck Friday night and started prep, finished prep Saturday Morning, and got 2 coats on. Then 2 more coats on Sunday.

-Dave

Attachments

Cleptomaniac

About how thick is 4 coats of liner? I'm asking because there is a bullet liner place here that can spray 1/8" thick. Was hopeing it would work for sound!

Thanks
Danny

jdeoliveira74

Ok, so I went with Herculiner. 1.75 Gallons. About 4 coats over whole thing. I do not see this sound deading and heat/cold supressing as much as I was optimistically hoping for. Also, dirt/debris will be a real mutha trying to clean out of the Herculiner. For these reasons I am going to order an ACC Vinyl Kit for the cabin area (tan color). Easy clean up and will cut down on noise/heat/cold. I am toying with the idea of putting HUSHMAT on the backside of the vinyl as well.

I have also brainstormed and will build a metal frame RAT-PACK that will have 2 drawers. The whole thing will fit behind the backseat, so it will measure 4' wide and 3'deep, 15" tall: which is how tall my backseat is when folded down. That way I can grab the piece of plywood that fits on top of the rat pack, move it forward to lay upon the folded back seat, and now we have a 6' bed that is 15" off the floor. (A 2x4 willl span the B-Pillars of the rollcage for the front sheet of plywood to have support). Hopefully I can build that next week or two.

Here are pics of the Herculiner. Stripped truck Friday night and started prep, finished prep Saturday Morning, and got 2 coats on. Then 2 more coats on Sunday.

-Dave

hey
use quick roof repair i did the back of mine it made a big difference. they sell it at home depot for 16.00 a rool its the same as hush mat or dynomat at a huge savings
Jon

Mohawk Dave

About how thick is 4 coats of liner? I'm asking because there is a bullet liner place here that can spray 1/8" thick. Was hopeing it would work for sound!

Thanks
Danny
Hey Danny,

It's about an 1/8" thick. Possibly approaching 3/16" in some places, but that is where it is really gooped on, and I am still waiting to see if that will totally cure rock-hard. It's not going to get any thicker w/o becoming a mush-like topping.

I believe the Herrculiner is best used for a rust inhibitor and any more than that is wishful thinking. My 2 pennies.

-Dave

TCUCV

Dave your '09 is reallly looking great! Keep up the good work,

Got any updated videos out wheeling? I'm hoping to post some up after I go to Uwharrie the end of this month!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks