• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

350TacoZilla

I'm glad to see so many guys wanting to convert their 939 trucks, means prices on 939 cabs should be coming down and I can get a crew cab started lol. nothing new to add to your build other than great job on it, cant wait to see it running around.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's a good idea about doing stages and I think I would also offer all the seperate parts and pieces induvidually.

Ok....so I will get all my "ducks in a row" and start then that poll.
I await with bated breath!

That's what I'm going to try to figure out for the "poll". Of course the more people are interested and the more "kits" I can produce the cheaper they get! :-D
I'm not sure what your plans are on the "kit". But from what I've seen of your hardware, it certainly doesn't look like torch cut parts correct? Looks like something that came from a lazer or waterjet table? Also I'm not sure what you're plans are for the "kits". But I would take mine unwelded. Makes for less costs on your end, less cost to ship, and if need be the user can modify if needed.

I'm glad to see so many guys wanting to convert their 939 trucks, means prices on 939 cabs should be coming down and I can get a crew cab started lol. nothing new to add to your build other than great job on it, cant wait to see it running around.
I'll have you a cab shortly! BTW, I believe the 939 series cab is "straight". Not like the older deuce and 809 series trucks that taper. Meaning you guys wanting a crew cab would have it a lot easier! I'll go out and double check now that this is the case.

Edit: nope, you'll have to widen the cab just like the other crew-cabs. :(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are the front signal lights inverted?

quickfarms

A 12 foot lenght of frame remains behind all of this and will have interchangable "Body Modules" :

-Flatbed with fold down sides
-1200 gallon stainless steel tank
-RV module
-Fifth wheel capabillity as a Truck Tractor

Due to the fact that the modules will attach via standard ISO "Container twist locks" there will be the possibillity of hauling short ISO container based loads as well.
Soni
I have been following this project and would like to hear and see how you are planning on accomplishing the bed.

Will the fifth wheel be permanently mounded to the frame.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things happened today thanks to the warmer weather: We had the snow from last week turn to mud and.....THE 10 TON STARTED!!!!
So off comes the cab (hopefully for the last time) and out comes the welder. Wow, I did not realize just how much welding was still left to do under the cab....

But the absolute high lite of the day was definately when the front axle of the FEMTT fell of the wooden blocking! Must have had somthing to do with the fact that the driver of the 10 ton got so excited that it actually STARTED, that he ran in to the back wheel of the FEMTT.

Hey Soni, any way we can get a bunch more pictures of the 10 ton wrecker? That thing looks like it deserves a thread of its own!

M920

As I have been for years I am awed by your work. Now the big question, how much do you figure all of that which you have added weighs? Your steel supplier must love you and I would love to see your metalworking equipment. Bending and cutting steel that size that cleanly takes some serious machinery.
Show us some pics of the toys (tools) that make it happen! :drool:
Rick
Well.....I'm sorry to disapoint you, but there are no "BIG METAL WORKING TOOLS/TOYS" around here. As far as fabricating goes here is my "equipment": I have a torch, a small plasma cutter, a 14" chop saw, some angle grinders, a big mag drill, a cordless drill, a mig welder, a couple of 20ton bottle jacks, a 100# anvil and a big hammer of course!
So with that I can fabricate almost all of the parts needed. For items such as the tow eyes, that are 1 3/4" thick steel with 1 1/2" holes in them or braking the 1/2" thick pan plates at a 45 degree angle, I have to get the steel place to do that.
Most of the time though, if I just do a single truck or a prototype project, it is way faster to just torch out the pieces and grind them smooth, rather then generate drawings. In addition the closest steel place is a 130 miles away, so I have to spend the additional time to go and pick them up, when they get them done. :roll:

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well.....I'm sorry to disapoint you, but there are no "BIG METAL WORKING TOOLS/TOYS" around here. As far as fabricating goes here is my "equipment": I have a torch, a small plasma cutter, a 14" chop saw, some angle grinders, a big mag drill, a cordless drill, a mig welder, a couple of 20ton bottle jacks, a 100# anvil and a big hammer of course!
So with that I can fabricate almost all of the parts needed. For items such as the tow eyes, that are 1 3/4" thick steel with 1 1/2" holes in them or braking the 1/2" thick pan plates at a 45 degree angle, I have to get the steel place to do that.
Most of the time though, if I just do a single truck or a prototype project, it is way faster to just torch out the pieces and grind them smooth, rather then generate drawings. In addition the closest steel place is a 130 miles away, so I have to spend the additional time to go and pick them up, when they get them done. :roll:
:shock::not worthy:

You sir have blown my mind! I thought for certain you had someone lazer or waterjetting these parts! I'm both amazed by your craftsmanship, and now slightly depressed. As I was hoping you'd have a g code design for all these bits you've been making.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is there a pneumatic throttle? Is that a MK48 specific thing? (Throttle peddle in the MK48 is setup that way)

Hopefully the transmission will be a little more simple in the 939 conversion as it's only a cable setup.

M920

I thought for certain you had someone lazer or waterjetting these parts!
I did have some of the parts plasma cut: The two big 1/2" thick frame extension plates , the top plates for the body mounts with the holes and the plates for the tow shackles.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is there a pneumatic throttle? Is that a MK48 specific thing? (Throttle peddle in the MK48 is setup that way)
Yes, the Mk48 cab comes with a pneumatic throttle pedal, so I figured I might as well use it....

Tornadogt

With proper drawings and dimensions there are a few heavy metal shops around here that I may have some favors to cash in on with have plasma CNC tables.. just an option...

:shock::not worthy:

You sir have blown my mind! I thought for certain you had someone lazer or waterjetting these parts! I'm both amazed by your craftsmanship, and now slightly depressed. As I was hoping you'd have a g code design for all these bits you've been making.
My sentiments exactly. The depression gets even worse when you consider how fast he has managed to do all of this.

86m1028

Hey Soni GREAT WORK.

I got your pm & will call in the next few days.

Now my problem is, seeing this thread :)
I've got an m916 & a new mk 48 cab.

Get to work on those "kits".

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post 193, pic #7 :- Very nice touch that you welded on the 'D' ring with the 'Made in USA' pointing out (may have been done to stop the raised letters dinging the paint if reversed).
I am assuming that the epoxy primer can be done in chilly weather - what kind did you use?

Beyond 'professional' workmanship Soni - that's a work of art. (..and that's speaking as a former AWS CWI)

Enjoying this thread like you can't believe.

M920

Post 193, pic #7 :- Very nice touch that you welded on the 'D' ring with the 'Made in USA' pointing out (may have been done to stop the raised letters dinging the paint if reversed).
Great observation! I intentionally turned them that way, to show off the 'Made in USA' marks! Heck, it is hard enough to find anything anymore, that is made right here in the good ol' United States of America! I'm a firm believer in buying AMERICAN!!!! [thumbzup]

I am assuming that the epoxy primer can be done in chilly weather - what kind did you use?
I use PPG DP90 Epoxy Primer, with the low temp. catalist. The stuff is really pricey, but I have used it since the late eighties and am convinced of it's quality!

M920

I have been following this project and would like to hear and see how you are planning on accomplishing the bed.

Will the fifth wheel be permanently mounded to the frame.
Yes, I will try to make the 'modules' fit over the permanently mounted fifth wheel. I'm not sure yet if I can make it work that way, but the idea is to widen the subframes on the modules so they fit around the outside of the fifth wheel.
There will be two ISO twist lock mounts with the standard ISO dimmension between them, on the front of the cargo area. The two rear ISO twist lock mounts will be located just outside the trucks frame rails. This will keep them out of the way of a semi trailer when turning. I will cover the construction of all that in this thread, when I get to that point.....got to get the truck drivable first....:roll:

M920

Hey Soni, any way we can get a bunch more pictures of the 10 ton wrecker? That thing looks like it deserves a thread of its own!
Sorry guys! I will do a thread on the 10 ton M123A1C after I get the FEMTT drivable. I have a job coming up in April that I need the FEMTT for, so unfortunately I have a dead line now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks