• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A Tank

Disciple

Looks like I'm a little late to this party, been AWOL for a while, but I'll see if I can help you out. I've owned a couple if these tanks over the years and have learned a few tricks.
First thing you'll want to do is the Doghead Starter Relay Mod, just do a search, lots of info on here. If that starter goes on you it can be a real PITA. Also, remember it's 24V so you can't just go pick up a new Abrams Starter at NAPA unless you're going to convert to 12V. But if you do convert, you can always turn the number 2 alternator into a welder! Really handy on the trail if you crack the hull on a rock!
Next you'll want to do a resistor bypass. They're known for going bad and frying your plugs!
When you go to recover it, if the tracks are flat and you need to reset them on the wheels, just dump about 14 gallons of ether in there and light 'er up! They'll pop right back into place. Watch those eyebrows!
Don't forget to grease those ball joints before you move her. Who knows how long it's been sitting.
You can find the keys on eBay so if you're gunna park it at the mall or grocery store, just wrap a chain through the steering wheel and padlock it to the seat frame.
One more thing! Be sure you chock those tracks! Don't want this baby rolling out of your driveway! Welcome to the MV world! It's a great hobby!

Last edited:

Galdron

Carnac,
This has been a fun thread to read through, and I has made me realize something important.
I have gleamed a ton of information off of this site. I have had a blast researching everything from vent caps on axles to paint.

But I have not spend the time to truly thank the folks that have posted all this great information. I am sure you get a ton of threads from people that don't research things as good as they should before opening up there mouth (or keyboard so to speak), and I am sure you guys don't get thanked enough for all you do for the MV community.

So thanks, because I am grateful and I am sure others are as well.

kastein

I've got my eye on a former WWII vintage US Navy General Electric Switching Locomotive. Has anyone out there converted one to High-Speed Magnetic-Levitation technology and gotten rid of those rusty steel wheels :idea:
I hear you can fit 395s but you have to flip the hubs, and you need ten... per side. 100dollarman is gonna love it when you roll up!

rlwm211

That switching locomotive would ride a heck of a lot better on rubber tires
instead of those old fashioned steel wheels.
I would mention that the 395s will pick that engine up
a bit and the top end will increase at least 40% over the stock 36" steel wheels.

I would swap the turbos out to a C turbo and get that nice Whistle when you spool it up.
I am not sure if it will increase the tractive effort but it will sound cool.

Just search for "C turbo" and you will find a bunch of posts and
threads about upgrades and oh, turn the fuel up too.

Lastly, if the Airpack is bad on that LOCO I would probably
put a new style air pack in and while you are at it,
convert it to a dual circuit system with a remote resevoir for each master and
I would use DOT5 if it is not converted to it already.

Hope this helps...

RL

:beer:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carnac...Nice lookin' motorpool[thumbzup] Man, what sort of hoops does one have to jump through to own an M35A2 Deuce and a Half? Top security clearance, close personal friend of the President, heir to a throne (not the one out back), what gives man??? Inquiring minds want to know.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Naw, I don't even have to have a CDL for it. Dang NRC keeps snooping around here about wanting to know if'n I got a active reactor but I don't let them G-men on my property. Won't let them inspect my Typhoon, nor the Pershing, nor any of the other stuff with that funny looking atom lable on the side.

Not sure where you all got the partial group of photos from my house but you know how it is, you can never have enough green iron.

Disciple

Hey CARNAC, thanks for letting me borrow your Apache last weekend. Turns out it probably wasn't the best vehicle for moving my cousin Leroy, but it sure made getting his sofa into that 4th floor apartment easier than going up the stairs! I owe ya one, buddy! Btw: I couldn't afford to top off the fuel tank before I dropped it back off at your place, but beer's on me at the next Rally! :grd:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No worries mate, I got some WVO to put into it. Matter of fact, I have a whole tanker full of it. See I got a great deal on a ex-Navy AO ship. Then I got McD. to give me some. It only took one day to collect it all cause I used the C5 to go pick it up from all their locations world wide. Filled the ship in no time.

Since I'm away from the ranch right now, can anyone tell me if a Ikea 49" in sleeper sofa will fit into the cockpit of the C5 if I take out the pilot and co-pilot seat? I want to be able to sleep while flying.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEWS BULLETIN
March 1, 2011.....

When the space shuttle returns after its current and final mission, it will be land at one of three stateside spaceports... Florida, California, or New Mexico. GL Managers at all three locations are drooling over the opportunity to damage it on their AO. SteelSoldiers are all sweating over the possible variations in recovery expenses depending upon landing location in relation to the distance to their own LZ's.
The tension is SO GREAT, you can almost TASTE it.

This is a developing story - expect updates.....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Boy I'm glad all 92 menbers that are signed in did'nt go out and buy a New, Old, Shooting tank at the same time, because at the rate this one is going (30 pages to date) it would be 2700 pages, with that number, I would not have time to read the rest of the threads after reading ALL the NOS tank threads

Now a Space Shuttle thread as a local air taxi, where speed counts I can see

By the way, where is the AUCTION NAZIES, I though we are not allow to talk about FUTURE items that might come up at named GL locations

"NEWS BULLETIN
March 1, 2011.....

When the space shuttle returns after its current and final mission, it will be land at one of three stateside spaceports... Florida, California, or New Mexico. GL Managers at all three locations are drooling over the opportunity to damage it on their AO. SteelSoldiers are all sweating over the possible variations in recovery expenses depending upon landing location in relation to the distance to their own LZ's.
The tension is SO GREAT, you can almost TASTE it."

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, where is the AUCTION NAZIES, I though we are not allow to talk about FUTURE items that might come up at named GL locations
Point well taken, sir.

The Forum Rules DO however allow discussion of "UNUSUAL" auctions. (It's not every day that a Space Shuttle comes up for bidding.)
Also... please remember to keep THIS THREAD in it own context as a "FANTASY ADVENTURE" without a single REAL grain of truth in it.

roflroflroflroflrofl

Darwin T

NEWS BULLETIN
March 1, 2011.....

When the space shuttle returns after its current and final mission, it will be land at one of three stateside spaceports... Florida, California, or New Mexico. GL Managers at all three locations are drooling over the opportunity to damage it on their AO.
This is a developing story - expect updates.....
is there a forklift big enough to screw up the drive shaft on the shuttle? :doh:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Point well taken, sir.

The Forum Rules DO however allow discussion of "UNUSUAL" auctions. (It's not every day that a Space Shuttle comes up for bidding.)
Also... please remember to keep THIS THREAD in it own context as a "FANTASY ADVENTURE" without a single REAL grain of truth in it.

roflroflroflroflrofl
That post of yours was NOT NICE, you just BURSTED another MV BUBBLE :cry:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That post of yours was NOT NICE, you just BURSTED another MV BUBBLE :cry:
Sorry for that REALITY CHECK. I'll zip my lips next time I have such an impulse...

Now back to our regularly scheduled eccentricity......

I'd like to swap the original cupola cab on my locomotive for the turret from one of CARNAC's M-1 Tanks. What's a fair price for such a TURRET :?:

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesfrom180

Another reality check, that first pick is of a wrecked, current, MV in theater. I thought there was a rule on those. I only say this cause I almost posted that same pic. So true about the eccentricity...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another reality check, that first pick is of a wrecked, current, MV in theater. I thought there was a rule on those. I only say this cause I almost posted that same pic. So true about the eccentricity...
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. That pic has been DELETED with my most recent edit of that post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks