• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II Road trip FL to CA 2,668 miles

Stonepicker1

Update.... I had a fuel problem and had to return back to the house. All safe.
(1130 miles round trip)

I filled up in Ocala off my transfer tank(my wife and son filled it up for me before I took off from the house...I think they dumped two, 5 gal cans of bad fuel/water into the tank that I had on the side of the house):(

After filling the truck up in Ocala, my "water in fuel" light came on. I pulled over on I-75 and drained the water from the filter...I had to do this every two miles.....after about ten miles just south of Gainesville , I drained all the fuel from the trucks main fuel tank back into the transfer tank by using the drain on the filter housing and a empty gallon jug....this took some time to do.at one gallon at a time....I had four fresh 5 gallon cans of fuel, so I dumped them into the truck untill I got to a fuel point. Thinking this should do the trick. Not.

I filled up just west of Live Oak with new fuel...still having to drain water every 5 miles. Truck had low power with a top speed of 52 MPH.....I pulled the fuel filter and it was full of gunk....replace with a new one....now had a top speed of 60 MPH but still lacked power.

I made it to Tallahassee, spent the night sleeping in the truck at a rest area and decided to turn around this morning and fix the truck back at home.
Going up the little hills in Florida with an empty trailer put my truck down to 35 MPH.

I'll try to do this trip again next week if I can.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to hear this knda stuff. From my personal experience, the optical encoder refuses to work with WMO. Dunno how it reacts to water.

Stonepicker1

Worked on the truck this afteroon. I made up a filter system out of two 5 ton fuel filters and a 24 volt generator fuel pump. Uaed a NATO slave cable from the truck to get power.

I first drained the trucks fuel tank by putting the hose through the fill opening. When I got all the fuel that would come out, I drained the trucks fuel filter. Put fresh fuel in the tank and a new fuel filter. Hoked the scan tool up and cleared the codes....took for a test drive and still seems to have a problem(low power) but not as bad as it was.
After the test ride the "water in fuel" light came back on. Drained the filter and it still had water. I had put some 911 in the tank to help get rid of the water. Thats all for tonight.

I also drained the transfer tank...see pictures on the water under the fuel...lol...its a wonder it even started with that much in the tank.

Attachments

mangus580

Very good chance your sock (in the tank) is full of snot now... I would suggest dropping the tank, and cleaning it. After that, verify your lift pump is providing adequate pressure to the IP under load.

Stonepicker1

Very good chance your sock (in the tank) is full of snot now... I would suggest dropping the tank, and cleaning it. After that, verify your lift pump is providing adequate pressure to the IP under load.
Thanks for the info mangus580,

Dropping the tank was my next step.

I cleared all the codes, but these two codes come right back on:

P0251(Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A.....Module Fuel and Air Metering.

P0370(Ign Timing...High Resolution Signal A.

????

mangus580

I will look at my GMSPO cd tomorrow to get you the troubleshooting info on those codes. Just went to be or I would do it now.

mangus580

Phil - those codes are triggered primarily due to air in the fuel system. Make sure you have properly bled it, but also I would suggest pulling the optical sensor off the pump and cleaning it with something. I wonder if it has a 'water slime' on it, and causing it to not read properly.

Both codes directly relate to the optical sensor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks