• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Arrgh, the dreaded check engine light. I've grown to hate them. Broward Powertrain can re-tube that shaft if they have the right size tube. Been a long time since I've had one done so I'm clueless on price.

Stonepicker1

Arrgh, the dreaded check engine light. I've grown to hate them. Broward Powertrain can re-tube that shaft if they have the right size tube. Been a long time since I've had one done so I'm clueless on price.
I just dropped the driveshaft off in Davie, Fl. $375.00 for new HD tube and HD u-joints. Should have it by Friday.

Is there a gasket that goes between the down pipe and turbo?

ODdave

ODdave, is the differential lube SAE 75W-140 Synthetic(GM 12346140)

Found a Driveline shop just south of me in Davie, FL. he can make me a new driveshaft with a three day turn around.
Not shure on the p/n. But iirc, and this sounds stupid, but its grape scented. I can look the p/n up at work tomarow .

Stonepicker1

Forgot to post pictures of the PMD being relocated to inside the front bumper. Put some black plastic tubing over the cable, I think it gives it that "clean look"and match's the rest of the cables.
I shouldn't have any over-heating problems with the PMD in this location. I was going to mount it inside the cab, but I didn't want to cut a hole in the firewall.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Some more pictures. Also installed the skid plates.

Went to the Chevy dealer and ordered the starter bracket ($19.00) :-xand one oil cooler line clip ($8.00) I don't like the looks of one clip.:-x

I think I'll list everything I have bought for this build to see how much $$$ i've spent so far.:-(

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Picked-up the new driveshaft and installed it today after work. It only took three days to get it.
The driveshaft cost me $400.00 complete and looks pretty nice.

I'll be test driving the truck Sat to see if there are any problems.( got to move a lot of stuff to get it out of the back yard now):)

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Picked up the new starter brace and oil cooler line clip and installed them last night. One of the old clip were out of shape a little, not going to take a chance of the cooler line popping off and dropping all my oil.:-(

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Finally was able to get it out of my back yard. Had to do the "learning a TDC offset" for it to run right. It goes like this:
1. Engine temp greater than 170F
2. Ignition on, engine off.
3. Hold the accelerator pedal in wide open throttle position for 45 seconds.
4. Release pedal and turn off ignition switch for 30 seconds.

Before I did this the engine sounded like it had a bad fuel injector on the passenger side. Now all is good.

The new engine sounds and feels very strong, only drove it around the block a few times. looks like I need a new headlight as the bright is burned out in one.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stonepicker1,

Thank you for posting all this.

And $400 is exactly what I paid for my M1028A2 drive shaft about one year ago.

I've got a couple of M1009's. But you!

You've REALLY got a great set of trucks going!

Many a lesser being would have given up LONG before now. Again. Thx.

Now, all I gotta do is convince the wife we NEED an CUCVII. It could be HER truck. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Give or take a few dollars. But not done yet.;)
1. $5,260 Non running 1999 CUCV-II Pickup Truck from GL (including taxes/premium).
2. $5,525-New, 6.5 GEP Optimizer 6500 Long Block Engine.
3. $750- New DS4 Injector Pump.
4. $400- New HD Driveshaft with HD Spicer U-Joints.
5. $295- New, 24 volts Delco High Torque Starter.
6. $283- New Bosh Fuel Injectors.
7. $230- New, PMD with Relocation Kit.
8. $171- Health Turbo master kit with Belt.
9. $65- New, AC G60 Glow Plugs.
10. $ 75- New, 1999 Chevy CK Truck Service Manuals.
11. $75- New Gaskets.
12. $45- New, CDR Valve.
13. $58- Coolant.
14. $30- Oil and Filter.
15. $10-Fuel Hose
16. $12- New Plastic Tubing.
17. $30-Starter Bolts and Bracket.
18. $10-Oil Cooler Clip.
19. $45-Paint and RTV.
TOTAL: $13,444

mangus580

you know - in reality thats not a bad total. We paid around 10k for my wifes 99 Burb a couple years ago - that had 90k on it when we got it, and was a 'semi' common vehicle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has she accepted the 30KW genset yet? LOL. That should be a really nice truck. Be a better road truck than the M1028s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks