• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Insurance Prices - How much do you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gungearz

What is de-miled about your truck? Spray paint over the unit markings?

Do not mislead an Insurance Company, it will come back and bite you in the arse, big time! Telling them it's a pick-up truck is really stretching it.
Your correct. It hopefully will not come back to bite me but its possible but since Gieco did not put these trucks in some sort of classification in their system by now. Its not my fault... They have delt with this issue several times. I only answered the questions the older gentleman asked me. After I called back from being transferred to the commercial in which I got hung up on. I figured since I drive the truck around the block once a month and look forward to 2 small road trips a year with my wife. That it wouldn't be that big of an issue. My insurance is for liability only. They do have the correct year, make, model, and vin on the insurance card. So they would technically be at fault if they want to try and fight it. Besides.... I'm a 26' dual tandem straight truck driver from chicago and drive to Wisconsin everyday. I've whipped these trucks around without hurting a thing for 10 years. So I think my chances of hurting anything in a slow a$$ deuce would be slim to none.

Our trucks have been demilitarized and are not military trucks. Once you tell them that. Its out of the question. I told Gieco I have a 1971 AM General M35A2 pick up truck. Do not say two and a half ton or they will direct you to the commercial side and will not insure it. Only get liability cause full coverage is stupid. If our trucks hit something. We won't be worrying about our truck. That's for sure...
You misrepresented your truck. So your paying for insurance that you won't have if you need it. Might as well pocket all the money and cancel the policy because your claim will be denied. There is a reason insurance adjusters have jobs. And they will give you a adjustment you won't like when they look at your truck.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your correct. It hopefully will not come back to bite me but its possible but since Gieco did not put these trucks in some sort of classification in their system by now. Its not my fault... They have delt with this issue several times. I only answered the questions the older gentleman asked me. After I called back from being transferred to the commercial in which I got hung up on. I figured since I drive the truck around the block once a month and look forward to 2 small road trips a year with my wife. That it wouldn't be that big of an issue. My insurance is for liability only. They do have the correct year, make, model, and vin on the insurance card. So they would technically be at fault if they want to try and fight it. Besides.... I'm a 26' dual tandem straight truck driver from chicago and drive to Wisconsin everyday. I've whipped these trucks around without hurting a thing for 10 years. So I think my chances of hurting anything in a slow a$$ deuce would be slim to none.
What if you lose your brakes when a rusty brake line fails in that single circuit system? I'm also a truck driver for almost 20 years, accident free all my life of driving, Not going to get into a pissing match, but hoping for the best will come back and get you like the previous post pointed out. When that happens, everything you worked for is gone. I'd rather pay the $660 a year I'm getting raped for and know I'm covered than try to explain where the pickup truck is to the adjuster.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Having my ex-mother-in-law as my normal car insurance agent I can tell you that you are screwed. You gave them such a big hole in the policy you could drive your Deuce through it.

IF you have an accident prepare to lose everything you have and will ever have.

gungearz

What if you lose your brakes when a rusty brake line fails in that single circuit system? I'm also a truck driver for almost 20 years, accident free all my life of driving, Not going to get into a pissing match, but hoping for the best will come back and get you like the previous post pointed out. When that happens, everything you worked for is gone. I'd rather pay the $660 a year I'm getting raped for and know I'm covered than try to explain where the pickup truck is to the adjuster.
The dmv here does not recognize the deuce and a half as a commercial truck. The cops and dmv ran thru it with a fine tooth comb at the dmv together. They even called Gieco for policy verification and coverage and everything was spot on. They didn't even have a plate for my truck, so they issued me pickup truck plates. I tried to get historical plates but its not in pristine condition. So now I pay $32 a year for plates. Instead of $26. The classification for the truck is listed under medium duty. In the same class as a one ton dually pickup. Mind you.... The truck was in front of them as they made this decision. So.... Ill just ride it out and hopefully nothing happens. As for the brakes going out.... Who cares. I drove it 300 miles back when I bought it without brakes in and out of bumper to bumper traffic also. If you know how to downshift, keep your distance and use the hand brake. Everything should be fine.... Like I said should be but yes..... Still possibilities of a unfortunate accident.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.... Ill just ride it out and hopefully nothing happens. As for the brakes going out.... Who cares. I drove it 300 miles back when I bought it without brakes in and out of bumper to bumper traffic also. If you know how to downshift, keep your distance and use the hand brake. Everything should be fine.... Like I said should be but yes..... Still possibilities of a unfortunate accident.

Please tell me you are kidding. 300 miles in a Deuce with no brakes.

I drive mine around my field with no brakes but wouldn't even entertain the thought of taking it out on the street.

My towing my blown up truck down the street to my house with my pickup was bad enough and the Deuce had a driver and it had brakes.

Sorry, but 300 miles in a Deuce on the road with no brakes is the most stupid thing I have seen on this site in all the years I've been on here.

gungearz

Please tell me you are kidding. 300 miles in a Deuce with no brakes.

I drive mine around my field with no brakes but wouldn't even entertain the thought of taking it out on the street.

My towing my blown up truck down the street to my house with my pickup was bad enough and the Deuce had a driver and it had brakes.

Sorry, but 300 miles in a Deuce on the road with no brakes is the most stupid thing I have seen on this site in all the years I've been on here.
Indeed.... It was a very stupid thing to do but I drove 300 miles for a truck with a fresh motor and all the options I wanted. The owner told me about the problem when I arrived. We wouldve fixed it there but they had a storm the night before and 12" of snow fell that I wasn't aware of until I was 60 miles away. I wasn't going to go back empty handed and it really did suck to have that on my conscious on the drive back. Fortunately... It all worked out O.K. and its all new now. The stupid things we do for the stuff we love.

Indeed.... It was a very stupid thing to do but I drove 300 miles for a truck with a fresh motor and all the options I wanted. The owner told me about the problem when I arrived. We wouldve fixed it there but they had a storm the night before and 12" of snow fell that I wasn't aware of until I was 60 miles away. I wasn't going to go back empty handed and it really did suck to have that on my conscious on the drive back. Fortunately... It all worked out O.K. and its all new now. The stupid things we do for the stuff we love.
I wouldn't go around admitting that story, much less bragging about your abilities to drive 300 miles with no brakes. You unnecessarily put other people in danger and that is not acceptable and is certainly nothing to be proud of or brag about.:cookoo:

Last edited:

gungearz

I wouldn't go around admitting that story, much less bragging about you abilities to drive 300 miles with no brakes. You unnecessarily put other people in danger and that is not acceptable and is certainly nothing to be proud of or brag about.:cookoo:
Guess my cocky capabilities got in the way.... Huh? There's plenty of guys on here that has done it. Even at further distences. So I will brag now that its over. Just gave me a bigger ego boost on what I'm capable of. You think most of those trucks we get from the GL that's been sitting for years has brakes? And when they don't. We drive them home if we can anyway. The deuce pretty much rolls to a stop anyway and with a perfectly good hand brake to work with...... Its fine and when I get another one and its the same circumstances.... I'd do it again.

Guess my cocky capabilities got in the way.... Huh? There's plenty of guys on here that has done it. Even at further distences. So I will brag now that its over. Just gave me a bigger ego boost on what I'm capable of. You think most of those trucks we get from the GL that's been sitting for years has brakes? And when they don't. We drive them home if we can anyway. The deuce pretty much rolls to a stop anyway and with a perfectly good hand brake to work with...... Its fine and when I get another one and its the same circumstances.... I'd do it again.
This is the last comment I will make on this particular topic as not to :deadhorse:

Again, Nothing to be proud of or brag about or say that you would do again.

Since this is an insurance thread, realize that if you were to have an accident, even if the initial cause of the accident wasn't your fault, but you hit and or hurt someone and the authorities found out that you didn't have any brakes. You will loss everything that you have plus some and you will most likely spend time behind bars for reckless endangerment. When you get out of the slammer forget your career as a truck driver.

Driving one of these trucks without brakes on public roads is on par with driving while intoxicated and I certainly don't think that is anything to be proud of or brag about.

gungearz

Again rambling wreck.... It was a chance that I took and made out fine. Hopefully I won't need to take another like that again. And I am proud that I didn't hit anything or anything didn't hit me. Although it was insured before I drove it back. You being a driver also, know we take chances on these roads everyday. I kept a great distance and only used the hand brake a couple of times. I know its no excuse but being dropped off 300 miles away with no ride back and in the middle of nowhereland.... I didn't see any other choices.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On your next recovery please post a thread in advance of your departure so I can make I and I'm sure others on this site can be as far away as possible.

I'm not kidding.

steelandcanvas

Guess my cocky capabilities got in the way....You think most of those trucks we get from the GL that's been sitting for years has brakes? And when they don't. We drive them home if we can anyway.
Three Club Members and I went through my deuce with the fine tooth comb, after removing the vehicle from GL's yard. The brakes were fine, but I wasn't going to drive it off post until everything checked out. If the brakes would not have checked out, we were prepared to flat-tow her home. I had insurance and a temp tag too. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to operate a vehicle without brakes. Taking undue risks only makes the lawyers rich.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stories like this make me want to ask GL to require all trucks towed off base.

Gungearz, you've made many posts that are either incorrect or just plain bad advise. It needs to stop, or your posts will be moderated(need approval).

Last edited:

ccf460

Update on my post #177, I changed the uninsured motorist part of the coverage from 350,00 to 100,00 and it went down $66 on each policy. You guys really need to look at Gulfway in Fla. Carol Smith is sending me a list of states they write policies in to help out a little, I will post it later tonight.
Also, this thread is supposed to be about where to get insurance for our toys, not a " What stupid things I have done, and others correcting them thread", let's keep this thread useful.2cents

lost in the bush

Again rambling wreck.... It was a chance that I took and made out fine. Hopefully I won't need to take another like that again. And I am proud that I didn't hit anything or anything didn't hit me. Although it was insured before I drove it back. You being a driver also, know we take chances on these roads everyday. I kept a great distance and only used the hand brake a couple of times. I know its no excuse but being dropped off 300 miles away with no ride back and in the middle of nowhereland.... I didn't see any other choices.

:sad:

ccf460

More info on Gulfway.. the only states they can't help us in are: Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware,Hawaii,Idaho, Massachusetts,New Mexico, North/South Dakota,Wyoming.
Contact person is ,Carol Smith 1-800-940-5010.
A recap of my final policy/price:
1952 Kaiser M35A2,$100,000 liabilty, $5000 medical to each of your occupants, $100,000
uninsured motorist, $500 deductible, $5000 replacement value, North Carolina registered,
she said age does not matter,but I am 41. Total annual premium $163.00 AWESOME!!!!:grd:

ETA: My 1985 M1009 is only $138.00 for the same policy, except only $3500.00 replacement value.

Last edited:

millfire517

Tagging this and I might get a hold of you Commander5993 to get your Ins. Agents name and number. I don't want antique or collector insurance When I get my truck I want to be able to drive it anywhere and not worry if i will be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks