• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce trailer build thread

shannondeese

It's been awhile since I have worked on the trailer but the last couple days I have been working like a mad man on it. Today I got the three braces welded in on the rear between the dove tail and the main frame. I welded in the two dove tail supports, two of the 4 tongue to trailer supports, and the rear wheel well cross support/brace is welded in. I should get to work more tomorrow so it should be ready for decking real soon. So far I have $2700.00 in the whole trailer. Not too bad.

Attachments

Last edited:

hdmax

This looks pretty nice, but it looks like overkill. This trailer looks like it could carry a small city, while the deuce will be at its max pulling it empty.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, that is a LOT of work! It will be one heck of a strong trailer when it's done!

shannondeese

I have been told by my buddies that I have a slight problem when it comes to overbuilding things. I am always worried that it won't be strong enough so I keep adding until I am 100% sure that it'll hold whatever I plan to do with it. As for this trailer I know as it sits it'll hold a truck with ease, but what if I need to haul a tractor, or a couple tons of hay, or a couple tons of anything for that matter. These thoughts make me keep adding more braces and supports. I'd rather build it overkill than not enough and have it fail when I need it most.
The base housing people really love me, we have come to an understanding. I understand I'm not allowed to work in the driveway, they understand I am going to anyway. I retire in 3 months so they have given up on trying to get me to conform.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better safe than sorry, I love what you've done so far, keep up the great work & the photos flowing!

Unforgiven

To get it licensed at the DMV you will need brakes w/ an automatic emergency backup system incase the pintle/lunette snaps off. I'm assuming that you are going to use electric over hydraulic?

The maximum "legal" towing weight for your Deuce is 10,000 lbs. Granted, it "could" tow much more than that, albeit very slowly.

If you haul heavy equipment (which it looks like is why you made the dovetail) then you will be well over the legal towing limit for the Deuce.

That trailer is going to weigh in at 4-5K pounds dry. Add a 15,000 lb backhoe to that and, err, well ... I assume that you are planning on buying a 5-ton in the future.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I think it's a very interesting build. But I see an excuse for a 5-ton in your future.

Also, why not consider making the dovetail hinged? That way you can lift it up & out of the way when using the powered axles off road?

2cents

shannondeese

I am using air over hydraulic brakes. I am going to put discs on the axles in place of the stock drums at some point. I am doing the same conversion to the Deuce too. I am completely removing the stock brake system and replacing it with a more modern set up. With the air over hydraulic system I am using if air pressure isn't present all the wheels will be locked. Great parking break and anti theft device. I thought about hinging the dove tail but haven't gotten that idea done yet. As for the weight of what I plan to haul, I am building the trailer around my 1992 F350 off road truck. For the most part it is going to haul that truck and all the tools I will need to fix it when I break down somewhere. And the idea behind the driven part of the trailer was so that I can get to wherever I broke down at so I can self recover from almost anywhere. But the chances of hauling my Dad's tractor or some other stuff is always there. So overbuild is the name of the game.

shannondeese

Trailer Day 9-2.jpgTrailer Day 9-1.jpgHere are a couple pictures from yesterday. I didn't get as far as I wanted but that's ok. I got the left side center wheel arch brace made and welded in, and the front wheel well brace made and welded in. Like I said not as much as I wanted but it's getting closer.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting thread! Thanks for the pics and such! Keep us informed about your progress. The only thing that can't be done, has never been attempted!
God bless,
Tony:-D

shannondeese

I didn't do much that you can see today. I worked on the brakes, the master cylinder I am using got a little junk built up in it from sitting around for the last couple years. So I took it apart and cleaned it all out. It's working pretty good now. I should be able to get it mounted tomorrow. I am going to use two master cylinders one per axle. Seeing as how they are air powered it's easy to run two of them. The only visible stuff I got done today was the completion of the passenger side center wheel arch support and a couple of scab plates welded to the dove tail braces.

Attachments

shannondeese

Well today I did a lot to the trailer. Unfortunately none of it looks like I did a lot. My arms are burnt though. Welding upside down sucks. The sparks always find a way though or around the PPE. So I welded a scab plate to every joint today. I had already put them on top of the joints, now they're on the bottom too. I know it's overkill but better to be a little on the safe side then on the flimsy side. Next weekend I am going to get the decking material and put it on. So brakes, decking, 4 wheel arch braces, and 2 tongue braces are all that are left to do before it's ready to put my truck on it. I don't think I've got time or the money before I have to take this thing across country to get the driveline done. But once I get settled again I'll get them done too.

shannondeese

This post is asking for advice. Due to it being the holidays, about to move across country, and also about to retire I can't buy the brake system I was originally going to get. So now I am thinking of making what I have work. I have 4 master cylinders left over from M105 trailers. Here are my questions.
What if I split the airline coming from the Deuce into two separate lines after it hooks to the trailer, run two of the little bleeder things and send air to 2 M105 master cylinders. Each master cylinder attached to one axle. Do y'all think it will have enough stopping power to be effective. The Deuce axles under the trailer both have functioning brakes. If nothing else I can put the M105 axles I have under it for the cross country but I'm running out of time. And advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

212sparky

I would think that paralleling the master cylinders off the air would actuate them at the same time. I am not sure that one would be enough to do it. Put it on and give it a shot.

shannondeese

Trailer Day 11-1.jpgTrailer day 11-2.jpgTrailer Day 11-3.jpgTrailer Day 11-4.jpgWell here are the pictures of what I've done this past weekend. I weighed it yesterday at the base scales, 7240 lbs. Just a bit more than I planned but that's okay. It'll hold whatever I want to put on it. It's just a little over built. I ended up running duals to handle the extra load on the cross country. All that is left is to run the air line to the back axle master cylinder. It tows straight and true. Stops well without jerking the Deuce around. I had to cut wheel arches into the side to make room for the duals but it doesn't look to bad. The decking is from Vietnam, it's runway matting. I was trying to keep with the military theme of the truck. When I get to Fl I'm going to use Dad's sand blaster and clean the whole thing up and paint it. I figure it'll be ok the way it is for a few thousand miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks