• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gin Poles Finished

hoopsoft

Not yet, I forgot when at Tractor supply.

I just wanted to get them up I will fix everything before I use it.

(Streetbike Depot was my fab guy on this, he did all the welds)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How did you make the feet? Did you buy components and weld them together or fab them out of stock?

hoopsoft

We got really lucky, a buddy that has a plasma table had a bunch of those generic eyelets pre cutout, so we used about 8-10 of those all over it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Hoop.

I picked up some items at the OKC GL location. In the bin has a BIG hook. Are you interested?

Pics to follow.

StreetbikeDepot

Hoopsoft is finishing up the ginpoles tonight so he can lift a bed off a duece......lets see some pics of it in action!

Anyone know what a dropside bed weighs?

That snatchblock that Warthog has is exactly what he need to finish it off.

hoopsoft

I extended the poles and swapped the cable clamps around that people were freakin out about.. I had two the right way and one the wrong way.. I took the wrong one off, but wouldn't think that would be any stronger.

I extended them out 4' so they are out there 16 now... They are WAY up there, so far only thing I picked up was a 2.5 front axle testing it.

I wished I had a hard top, the guide wire running over my head makes me nervous when only material is between it and my head.

Very interested in the hook. I will pm you

wdbtchr

What is the maximum lift height of the "stock" gin pole setup? I'm thinking of building a steel building and was trying to figure out how to raise the trusses. The one I'm looking at has a height at the peak of about 18 1/2 feet.

phataux

so how do you raise the poles? i assume they weigh about 300lbs a piece? and i am assuming you put them together on the ground facing out and then lift them in the air .... but how? is there any special method or just pick them up at the end and walk them up? any pics of the going up process?

hoopsoft

I don't know what the stock height is, but mine is 10' of 3.5 drill pipe with 10' of 2 7/8 drill pipe inside the larger one. They are extended out almost 6' so I have close to 16' in the air.

I got that massive snatch block from warthog today (what a awesome guy!) and hung that big dude at the top. I can tell you that I had a 12' ladder, I am 6' tall, I was on the second rung from the top, and was eye level with the snatch block.

How do I get them up. I have a large tree in my yard, I throw a rope over a big limb abour 20' in the air, tie it to my winch cable, and hoist the cable in the tree and tie off the rope

(on the ground, the cable goes through the snatch block, then up to the limb and I will run the winch alittle then move forward etc. til the poles are alittle over 60 degree then hook my guide wire up)

Real easy, just a pain to do. Reverse the process coming down.

I would say the whole setup weighs 300 or less. Well without the snatch blocks its 50lb itself.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks