• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

TedG

Well, I turned a few more wrenches on the truck, concentrating on the front end prior to the re-settings of the power plant. I found newer style brackets for the frame extension that supports the snout and front winch plate. So if any of you want to obtain my other ones, let me know!

I am waiting on another bracket for the engine so I can have the ability in the future to place an a/c compressor on it easily. Once that bracket is received, then in the engine goes! Once the rolling chassis is mostly done, then on to the tub. Also, when the winter from H.E. double toothpicks ends, I can respray the carc black to smooth out the wrench marks.

Enjoy.

Attachments

TedG

Jeepman,

My 42 WC56 is my baby! I bought it when it was ready for the scrap pile. It was a 16 month full restoration starting in 1999 and completed spring 2001. One of the funest trucks to drive and it has beat out muscle cars at shows (but not off the drag race line :lol: ). I made the entire floor via CAD and CNC punch press and welded it all together to look like factory new. The WWII vets really like it but most cannot get into it anymore. It runs really good and I am slowly adding nick-nats to dress it out. Anyway, here are some pictures and then back to the HMMWV build!

Thanks for asking!

Regards,

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow what a great thread I am surprized I never read it before. Must have been during a high intensity time of my Army days. Did you get any snow to push with the UNIMOG? All your vehicles look awesome thanks for posting them. I hear you about the vets loving the command car. I am sure most of them never got to ride in one in the war and now they are being treated like a General by your kindness.

Thanks for that we are loosing a lot of these great folks every day.

God bless you for helping them.

TedG

Hi Chuck!

Clare is going to be a tuff deadline since I promised not to bust my arse speed wise on this restoration. You are more than welcome to assist in wrench turning though to speed it up :D

Armyman30YearsPlus,

Thanks! and Thanks for your service also. Enough snow?! Heck yes! In fact we are getting dumped on today. Mog is the nicest plow truck I have ever driven: heated, turns very sharp, can straight push a wall of snow 3' deep. For fun, I drop the plow straight ahead and go a 1/4 mile down my field and the you should see the wall of snow in front of the blade!!! One day I will take a picture/video.

Okay, back to hmmwv build. I am surprised no one has mentioned the carpet! I ripped it out of the house and thought, MI winter and cold concrete in shop :idea: why throw it away when I can use it on the shop floor (for the winter only)! It really makes a big difference when kneeling, etc.

The tub insulation is in with part of the wire harness. I am now going to remove the factory insulation and install dynamat to the tub tunnel. This will help with noise, cooling and heating...then reinstall the factory insulation.

Attachments

TedG

Well I finally got around to mounting the new Luvern brush guard to the front. I like it! Now on to the power plant placement. Engine is almost redressed and when done (hopefully this weekend), in it goes. Once that is done, I have to rearrange the shop so that the tub is in center stage for assembly. I cannot wait for that!

Attachments

TedG

Well, it is snowing to beat heck out and I am between travels, so I thought I would post some pictures of the power plant being set. Fairly heavy set up when the engine/tranny/tcase are connected. Once in place, I leveled it off and bolted her down. phew! With a little adjustment to the cooling stack/shroud I was able to line up the propellor correctly. Installed muffler, and front drive prop to tcase. I then placed the front tires and moved the beast away from my CC so I can work on the oil cooler lines, ps cooler lines and drive train cooling lines. A few more pieces and then I am off to the tub! It sure is nice to have the ability to move it around again after sitting on stands all winter long.

Enjoy.

Attachments

Armada

:beer: Hey Ted! Wow, great project! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread, need to come to this section more often. I knew you were working on an A2 restoration, but the pics and write-up tell all. Great work! I can't wait to see the finished product at some of the shows this year. Great job!

TedG

Thanks George and Paul!

Either of you are more than welcome to come over, turn a wrench and have a beer!

I thought it would be fitting to insert this video someone placed on Utube on current hmmwv's! Very cool! It is about 4 minutes long and the middle is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAME76yPXDM

Regards,

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ted:
You should be allowed to go over to the AMC HMMWV Rebuild shops and make sure they are doing it right. I saw an aweful lot of rebuild programs and none have looked as good as yours.

TedG

I pm'd you jwaller...

Thanks David. I guess it is the difference between doing the job as fast as possible to get the rig out the door for use and a restorer painstakingly fretting over details in more convienent time schedule. I tell many people that working on mv's is my "golf" only a lot funner and less stressful.

No new wrench turning stories...perhaps in a week or so!

CdnH1

Wow Ted what a fantastic project, man I wish I had your talents. I'd love to re-do mine. Unfortunately I would'nt know where to start lol. Thanks for sharing the building process with us and please keep the photos comming.
Cheers, Bob

TedG

Thanks guys! As I say, restoring mv's and building mv's is my golf...it relaxes me after a hard day/week/months work.

I been neglecting this project due to too many irons in fire. I finally got to spend some quality time last night on her! I removed my factory insulation and am in the process of installing Dynamat. According to other hmmwv owners, it reduces the noise and heat level to a comfortable and conversational level inside the truck. The stuff is easy to install but it does get tiring after awhile working it with you hands and arms. I also located and drilled my TCM access hole. Not much room for error but having pictures from factory installs helped me a lot! Once the Dynamat is installed, I will then re-install the insulation and secure the wire harness. Then on to the tub front end where I have to modify the dog house area for the turbo setup. Pictures of this to follow...

Regards,

Attachments

Bart

Ted my Friend You should get a MEDAL for all the restoration projects!!, totally amazing...would LOVE to stop by your place someday and check m all out.....

TedG

Well I took a half day and finished up working on the dynamat. I did the entire tunnel area front to rear. I hope she is quiet as I tool down the road at highway speeds. I then covered the dynamat with the factory insulation (sorry for the blurry picts). Then I fixed the tcm/tiss/toss/etc harness to tub.

Also, I received my Ibistek tow bar made specifically for the hmwwv! Sweet and it only weighs 60 punds...no more medium towbar or feet!

Thanks Bart and stop by the next time you visit the States. Also, on my next trip over the pond to the Nederlands, I will stop by!

Regards

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks