• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wonder why they pulled all the m35a2s

greenjeepster

Yeah, but the prices they bring on there is baffling. You can buy one on ebay in running condition for what they bring on GSA. One they have listed now is at 1500.00 and has "no brakes" written on the door, the description also says it has not been started since Sept of 07. It will be some work getting the algae out of the fuel tank.

stumps

One element you forgot Chuck is that the multifuel engine often means no fuel tax for Uncle.
I truly doubt that has even entered into their thinking.

That same problem exists with electric cars, any diesel, and any gasoline car (that has things like moonshine, propane, or untaxed farm gas available).

I would bet it is more a reaction to the massive number of deuces that are being registered across the country, and the fact that they don't meet federal highway standards, even for 1970. The insurance companies have noticed.

Dig deeper, ask the ombudsman who is driving this change, then ask that person. When that person ignores you, tell your congressman about this great injustice that is being done, wasting millions of taxpayer's dollars, and how such and so is stonewalling you and won't explain why.

Wash rinse repeat...

-Chuck

greenjeepster

I shot an email out to MVPA today to see if they know what was going on with them; the reply follows;

I have forwarded your message to our Government Liaison chairman to see if he can determine what is happening to the M35 series vehicles. Thanks for your message.

Tracey Metcalf
Administrative Assistant
Military Vehicle Preservation Association
(800) 365-5798
(816) 833-6872

AceHigh

Bottom line, I anticipate that the flow of complete vehicles will end in the next few years due to the rebuilding of them all. No need to get rid of "old trucks" when they can be rebuilt cheaper than buying new. The ones that are too trashed to get rebuild get stripped of all useable components and are hulks.
Interesting observation. Look at UPS. They buy a truck, run it daily, paint it yearly, throw parts at it as needed, and finally crush whatever is left over.

lavarok

I emailed a few GL site managers today.
I just got a reply from one in GA and his response was:

"We expect the M35A2 to be released soon. No indications that they will require mutilation."

Take it for what its worth...all of this is hearsay at this point...

Chief_919

I did some backchannel calling today. Nobody I can quote directly, but I think this info is good enough to share.

There is a review of ALL demil codes going on now. This is driven by the same F-14 parts deal that has caused much hassle in years previous. DOD has been embarressed one too many times by news stories of stuff being sold that shouldn't, so instead of enforcing the rules on the book in typical military knee-jerk fashion they are reviewing everything to say they did. One result is some DEMIL codes are being changed when they shouldn't, resulting in a review proccess that changes them back. Or it could be that whe the review is ongoing the code is temporarily changed, I heard both explanations from different people. Those of you who are gun guys will likely recall when the same thing happened a few months ago with small arms brass, they changed the DEMIl code to require mutilation, then after some pressure changed it back.

The people I spoke to all seemed to expect the trucks to be back on the sales in a few weeks, or a couple months at worst.

Chief_919

Thats what happens. Google HMMWV RESET or HEMTT RESET... It works, it saves $$, and it's how it works now...
I expect the 900 series 5 tons to start showing up more and more. Reset for them is limited and FMTV procurement is replacing them, leaving no need to reset them.

HMMWV and HEMTT, no time soon for sure.

Westex

Chief, you are the ONE. And yes, I, and friends of mine are big reloaders and weighed in heavy on the one time fired brass mutilation thing, and voila! Look what happened. I post not to take credit, but just to exhibit that in force of numbers things can get done. Thank you, sir, for what is obvious hard work on this subject. (Subject being Deuces, not ammo)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't ask that, but I can tell you that during tthe brass debacle none was destroyed and it all hit the sales later.
That's reassuring - in fact it's a ray of sunshine onto an otherwise bleak expectation. I can envision that when they go back onto the auction block there will be a glut and resulting lower prices despite the worry that this will drive prices up. We should always remember that in auctions it's all about SUPPLY & DEMAND. Those who are patient are the ones who get the REAL DEALS!

deuce259

I spoke to awhellwhatshername at GL in Arizona and asked specifically if my first deuce was affceted because it was purchased prior to the demil code changing. She said that my EUC is still pending at BC and the change will not affect any deuce bought before the change. But we shall see. 34 days and waiting.

number9

I spoke to an active military guy at work about this the other day and he said to be sure and tell everyone on this forum to contact Congressman Geoff Davis of KY (ex-Ranger) and express concern over this issue. He said while most Congressman wouldn't know what a Deuce was, this guy for sure would and would understand our side of the issue.

Congressman Geoff Davis : Serving Kentucky's Fourth District

deuce259

ODI,

My deuce is at Fort Campbell, ky. About 10 minutes down the road, when I am home. I am still in Iraq but will on leave in about a week. BC better have my EUC ready. Tired of this poop.