• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lansing MI M818

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a seal for the Transmission, yesterday. Tinkered with a few other small things, in between rain showers.

After seeing all the interest on that Girl/Flag thread, I'm considering asking my neighbor if she wants to do a photo shoot in/on my truck! Anyone here like 70+ year old ladies on trucks?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a seal for the Transmission, yesterday. Tinkered with a few other small things, in between rain showers.

After seeing all the interest on that Girl/Flag thread, I'm considering asking my neighbor if she wants to do a photo shoot in/on my truck! Anyone here like 70+ year old ladies on trucks?
Uh, no!

Just curious, 13 stars on her flag?

TedG

Eric, I am glad they made it safely. I just got home they were gone! DEQ will be onsite assessing the oil spill. lol Since one is still here, do I get to keep it?!

Also, if you do not need the nos draglink, plese put it with Lane's trailers and I will get when they get moved to MI.

Enjoy that nice truck!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ted, I will not be needing the drag-link, I will send it back(with Lanes stuff).

The trucker was great.

Is there really an bad oil spot? Sorry...

Thank you very much for your assistance and use of your place for storage. You made this very easy for me, and I appreciate it very much.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I decided to solve the transmission oil leak issue.

What I found was, a bad output shaft seal AND, the seal and bearing retaining plate was installed in the wrong position.

The plate has two "grooves" that allow the oil to flow through the output shaft bearing and lube the seal. The cover was indexed 90 degrees so the oil holes were half covered and half open to atmosphere. The gasket was positioned correctly which did allow some oil to flow as intended but, it also allowed the oil to run directly out of the transmission!

I did not see any indication of heat or dryness at the bearing so, I replaced the gasket and positioned the cover correctly.

Drove a few miles and the outside stayed dry!

Hopefully I don't have too much internal damage from low trans oil.

I noticed the bolts had been "sealed" and the top of the transmission has had a smearing of RTV at the top rear seam(in an attempt to solve the oil leakage, I assume).

Somehow they missed seeing the holes open to the outside of the transmission and the fact the cover was on sideways(it has 4 bolts that are obviously symmetrical).

I have also attempted to fix the seized fuel tank selector valve but, I cannot get it to turn. I removed the "stem nut" and the inside "spool" is stuck. There is no way to apply any real torque to it and I didn't really want to try heating it and cause damage or a leak. I will need to replace it(looking for a good used one).

Preacherboy

Lansing must be a good place to get trucks at good prices, a nice looking truck went for $1780 and a really nice one with brand new T831's went for under $2600 and the other one with T831's that didn't look as nice went for under $2600 too. I tried to convince my dad to buy one and he said mom wouldn't let him get anything else...he did say he would lend me the money to get one.

I just can't think of what I'd do with it!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching those trucks too!

This time I was able to resist bidding.

I'll have the M818 on the road next week.

4x4e350

My truck.

I'm glad you guys didn't bid, because the one with new T831's and only 8500 miles is now mine!!!!!rofl
You guys have no idea how stoked I am.:p

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great news! Congrats!

Preacherboy

My dad did say he'd loan me the money, but I know my wife would freak. I barely was able to justify a deuce.

For the prices they went for it is a win win situation, you can't go wrong. Even if you scrapped the whole truck you'd get your money back as I was quoted $250 a ton yesterday.

Once someone gives me a good idea why I need one and what I can do with it I'll buy one.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have used mine just once, so far(plus a few small drives). 110 mile trip, hauled a trailer home with it.

It went well. I really like it.

I may do a tow bar recovery on an M109 with it soon. That will be about 300 miles of driving.

Every time I drive it, I think of all the help I had getting it home. Thanks Guys

Preacherboy

Well, my EUC just cleared...7 business days, it gets shorter and shorter every time! Now, lets just hope it is a great runner. I'll post pictures of recovery. I have to call Joe today.

4x4e350

Well, my EUC just cleared...7 business days, it gets shorter and shorter every time! Now, lets just hope it is a great runner. I'll post pictures of recovery. I have to call Joe today.
Good luck with your recovery! I will be in the area (Eaton Rapids) this Friday morning, picking up another cab, if you need anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks