• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

List your reason behind your MV

The green monster got me for...

• Parades

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Hunting, Trails and 4x4

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • BOV/ EMP proof

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Work/BOV/Parades/Coolness factor/ Multi-Fuel appeal.

Votes: 109 83.2%

• Total voters

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever since them aliens :tin hat: abducted me :jumpin: I've been hearing VOICES and the VOICES kept telling me.....
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON
BUYGREENIRON

So I DID ! ! !

Was that a BAD thing to do???

:jumpin::driver:

Darwin T

my start into MV's started when i was in the Texas Army National Guard, i had my own deuce for my MOS. skip ahead 16 years and along comes hurricane Ike and slams our area. so i start looking for a BOV and less than a month later it started.

#1 - along comes and M109a3 on Ebay, thats it. big box to lock up my stuff while i evacuate, 15,940 pound to help with the wind, 10 wheels like 4 extra spares for all the debree on the road and multi fuel incase there is no diesel.

#2 M35a2 i bought on accedient on ebay. low bid a guy half what he was asking (did not meet the reserve) just to keep it on my radar because my watch list was full. after time was up he messanged me and asked if i wanted it for that price. next :cookoo:

#3 M35a2 - before i bought #2 i bid on this one and and was outbid on Ebay. thats why i had the money to buy #2. then after a no pay it was relisted. w/w and a M-66 so now i has 3 deuces :drool:

then the city fined me for parking one deuce on my driveway, another story all together. so back to the web this time i ended up at motorsource in IL. and a M1028a2/3 with a maintance bed. that was short enough to meet the city requirements for parking on my driveway. so as an F. U. to port arthur i flew to O'hare cabed to Motorsource and home i came with another truck that i had not planned on buying.

then the trailers atarted rolling in.

M105a3 from GL for my M109a3 BOV

M105a2 from GL to mount a fuel tank, genset ect. for after a hurricane when i come back into town.

M101 w/CBC for my M1028

another M101 w/CBC because it was close and i had the money, go figure :drool:

CBC shelter for my M105 because i had the money and i was going there to pick up the second M101 w/CBC :cookoo:

M105a2 from GL without wo bows and cover to put the CBC shelter in or bows and cover for the other M105a2 on.

i am thinking about starting crack to beat this addiction. :shock:

Last edited:

Stingrhay

Simply because I can.

But the whole story is.... I'm a military contractor and regularly operate many different MV including Strykers, ASV's, M88's, M113's, Bradley's, Paladins, every HMMWV variant, all FMTV's all LMTV's, HEMTT's, HET's and all the engineering equipment as well, JCBHMME's, CAT Deuce, M9 ACE and so on .

Generally speaking, we commandeer a Humvee and us it for the duration of our project. We use it to haul tools, slave vehicles and run my guys around base. On one of our last projects for the 3/2ID, their CO told me "Don't to forget to load that one!", referring to the Humvee we were using and then the idea hit me...... I needed my own MV!

Spent some time on GL and ended up with an M813A1 from a fellow SS member who sold it on Ebay.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love it when you pass a full-size dualie going the other way. The guy driving it pretends not to notice - he won't even make eye contact - and you can almost lip-read his girlfriend sitting alongside saying "I thought you told me yours was the biggest truck".
When I park my truck at the house and one of those "steroid" induced 4X4 pick-ups goes by, I can always count on a throttle down and some serious rubber-necking from the envious driver who has just realized my truck is just WAY cooler than his. I really do get a kick out of that.

Recy Mech

Great read fella's.

I guess it's all to do with when I was a younger man and had a ball in the army driving and recovering all sorts of A, B, & C class vehicles. And, I reckon the Deuce looks pretty cool.

ODDBALL007

soooo don wants to know why i bought some mv's... Well to tell the truth i had never thought about one till the day i rode by a pawn shop and saw a duece for sale. I was on my motorcycle and decided to pull in and check it out. I had never really paid attention to them but when i approached this one my eyes excuse me i mean my eye was as wide as the grand canyon. The owner walks out and ask if he can help me. we talked about the duece and even test drove it. I was hooked like a crackhead needing crack.After a day or two of negotiating i was the proud owner of my first ever mv. As i was getting into the truck ready to leave a gentleman came up and introduced himself as ray. From that day on ray and i have been like best friends but im sure he wont admit it lol. Anyways i owned this duece for about a month then bought a m129 trailer out of MS. Then the addiction really kicked in. I convinced my bro to lend me 15 grand and then by the oct GA rally i had aquired 7 dueces and a dump truck. Only thing missing was an 818 to pull the trailer. well i didnt have any more cash so i sold my famous ODDBALL EXPRESS to don and then met up with russ and bought his 818. Now adays i have settled on 1 duece and 1 818 and my trailer. Since i have been in this hobby i have met some of the coolest some bitchezzz that i would ever want to meet. You guys are like the brothers i never had. PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO EVER CALL ON ME IF YOU NEED TO PARK SOMETHING AT MY HOME AS I HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM WITH BADAZZZ SECURITY. I jus wanna say thanks to everyone that knows me. I love you all like yr my family. Peace out.[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a "none of the above" option. Sure, I enjoy putting it in parades, but I got mine because it's the closest I can afford to a tank - haha. In all seriousness, I've always enjoyed collecting militaria and I didn't even know I could own an M35 until my brother showed me a pair for sale locally on Government Liquidation. It was downhill from there!

Last edited:

dellray

usually if and when someone asks i tell them theres probably no piont in us talking about this if your going to ask like that(with a sideways head nod and an i dont know raise of the hands).why wouldnt i own one?

caliber1

Because my ex-wife said "you buy that and we're done!".
:grd:

Awesome thread Don.

Here goes, my Father, VN Vet MSGT USA (Ret), used to look longingly at one whenever we would see one. Lost him in '87. As the Wife and I were going to my buddies camp last year, we stopped and looked at what I think was a M817 and was bit. Started hitting GL (without the DW's knowledge:whistle:) and ended up getting my M35A2. It is in honor of my Father and all who have gone before and still go into harms way to preserve our freedom.

Finding SS has been pretty cool too, met some awesome people at the rally in Richloam and can't wait to roll with them at the next rally.

chevyCUCV

**** this is my real reason...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjtR1DpNFo[/media]
If your lazy watch from 1:00 on
But everyone should watch Rubber rofl

smashcrashy

I always enjoyed military history and honoring those who served. As a kid, I always wanted a Sherman Tank. As I grew older and realized the I live in the city and a Sherman wasn't the best choice I went looking for alternatives.

I wanted wheels (because of city livin), armor (gotta have armor or it ain't a MV, IMHO) and a gun (see: armor). It basically boiled down the M-8, M-20, V-100, Fox, Saladin, Pig, Saracen or a Ferret. I went with a Ferret as it was the least impractical for where I live but in an ideal world I'd have a V-100.

I'm only 2 weeks into ownership, I haven't got into the major upsides and downsides yet.

100acre

For me it was a BOV/EMP proof vehicle with the possibility of a multifuel engine. It was a cheaper (or so I thought) way to get a 4x4 diesel vehicle which was painted in my favorite shade of green, and since I was a child I have always wanted my own MV. I still want more too, espicially the Half track at the NC rally this past weekend.[thumbzup] I just realized this thread was for deuces but it still pertains to all MV owners, so thanks. Wheel Choks Unite!

Last edited:

Csm Davis

The reasons I got my first one isn't on the list for the poll. I got my first MV by my Dad and uncles moved houses with them when I was a kid so I guess you could say I was born :cool:with the bug.

goatijoe

The reasons I got my first one isn't on the list for the poll. I got my first MV by my Dad and uncles moved houses with them when I was a kid so I guess you could say I was born :cool:with the bug.
I knew that they would pull a house down if it got traction. Witch ones did they use to move them? Did they pull them fine or have a bit of strain to them. I know they use the old big front end Mack's around here.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a 26' motor whaleboat you're pulling? Tell us more about that MV!
Yeah, I'd been looking at 'em for a year or so and 'found' it in SW Oregon. Lived in Tucson at the time; had an F150. Bought the deuce in AL, drove it to AZ, rebuilt brakes and replaced boots and bearings/seals, went and picked up the motor whaleboat and trailer. Interesting ride.

26MW6516 is a MK10 built in '65 in Miami the same year I got out of high school. Have not researched it's history to date. The hull is sound and stout, and nearly all of the non-engine parts are on hand. The Westerbeke diesel is 'quiescent' as I type, missing the fw expansion tank, and oil cooler, and needs a new exhaust riser [or replacement of some sort]. That project is rising slowly to the top of the queue. Moved recently to NO and house/grounds have precedent, so the deuce and boat are in storage. Deuce gets run ~weekly, boat sits quietly covered, waiting [although I have unloaded the lumber I hauled in it from AZ]. Hope to start fiddling with the Westerbeke soon to see if it's worth keeping. Parts are crazy.

Last edited:

Scooteerr

I haven't been able yet to conger (spelling?) up enough money yet to buy my first mv (I'm looking for an m35a2) but for some odd reason... I just have to get one... Like I wont be whole without it... LOL

:grd:!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't been able yet to conger (spelling?) up enough money yet to buy my first mv (I'm looking for an m35a2) but for some odd reason... I just have to get one... Like I wont be whole without it... LOL

:grd:!
Conjur is the correct spelling...says so on my spell check and it's never rong. Go for a stripped down soft top...no seats, no heater; marginal (but still safe) tires..go for the cheapest but safest you can go. Build up from there. I was last quoted $3500 for that very truck. Not sure if that's alot or a little but that's what you can get one for from at least one seller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks