• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 recovery trip.

phil2968

Well we're off to do it again, rbeasley66 and I. We are leaving in the morning in my M109 to drive to Ft. Campbell KY to pick up another (his) M109. 1500 hundred miles round trip! We must be insane! We plan to flat tow this one. We have a meduim tow bar and military tow lights and good safety chains.
(Thanks again to Recovry4x4 for his towbar and lights.)
If we had to this truck should run, we would have to install the rear driveshaft to drive it.
We are heading up I75 most of the way. I hope we have some members along the way that could help out if we have unforseen troubles. We have plenty of tools, fluids, tools and jacks. We will be tying the brake systems together.
I plan to post some picks when we get back at least. We may add to this thread with Ricks phone.
This is my third and longest recovery and his first flat tow. He is in for a suprise!

Well its time for a shower and the bed, 13 plus hours starting a 4 am!

My cell is 863 899 7177.

Katahdin

God Speed Gentlemen! I'll be monitoring this thread.

I'll text you my SIL's phone number, she lives just outside the base and may be able lend some local assistance. I wouldn't trust her to do anything mechanical tho. :razz:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have my number if I can help. m16ty is not far off from Campbell. Should have adequate help along the way.

davidkroberts

ill be on a trip of my own from west tennessee to gulfport ms and back picking up my m931. i might be able to help at some point if something silly happens. my number is 7312345135

davey8943

Phil, rbeasley,

If this is one of the 3 that sold in late May, you guys are picking up one of the sisters to my M109A3!

We flat towed ours home with the M35a2 about a month ago... A pretty uneventful trip, thank God!

I took a quick look at the other trucks and noticed a low tire on one of them. I don't remember which one, and don't know which one you won.

Jason, GL guys at Campbell, is a great guy, especially after I dropped off a big box of doughnuts! Jason did tell me that all of these trucks came onto the lot on RGN's. I was sort of curious why the driveshafts were disconnected... :?

You two sound prepared, I am sure everything will go well! Good luck in any case!

Dave

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Press on regardless Gentlemen. The shortest section of you journey up is over. Takes a month of Sundays to get through the state of GA. I'm assuming that you folks will take I-75 to Chattanooga then I-24 up to the reservation. Monteagle can be a challenging quest if you aren't prepared for it. Be safe going up and down that grade. I remember my whirlwind trip back from Lavinia TN with 2 deuces.

rbeasley66

Dave: Yes, mine is a sister to yours. My EUC was sent off June 3rd, then magically was sent off again on July 13th. GL said there was a paper work issue on their end that caused the resend. Jason had been very helpful when I've spoken with him.

Kenny: Is it a month of Sundays? Or, forever and a day to get through Georgia? I spoke with a guy at the diesel pumps the other day and he said the same thing about that hill. We will use due caution. Thanks for the heads up.

I do believe it's Cordele we're passing through now.
Later,
Rick :driver:

rbeasley66

Second fill up. Diesel at $3.88 a gal and 7 mpg on that tank. Something tells me that a M109 towing a M109 will not get 7 mpg coming home. I guess that's just the cost off doing business and having fun! aua

rbeasley66

I took a quick look at the other trucks and noticed a low tire on one of them. I don't remember which one, and don't know which one you won.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I won the green one!