• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 recovery trip.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey, you guys need to be careful-in between pictures 1 and 3, you lost a wheel & tire on the towed 109!

Nice tow lights.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto beat me to it. Was going to say that someone rogued a tire. I agree, nice tow lights.

Katahdin

LOL! I've seen those unit markings before! Our 109s must have been parked next to each other! :D

Good luck on the return trip down South, Gentlemen!

Edit: I was going to suggest Grandpa's if you ran into hardware issues, Great Store! They sell guns too.

Attachments

rbeasley66

A 109 pulling a 109 is cake. Try pulling an 817. I wish you guys the best of luck. You know, your not too far from the MVPA nationals in Dayton. I will offer up my "case de cripple" if you want to attend!
Your right, a 109 pulling a 109 may be a piece of cake. Unless the driver is a one legged guy, then it can get a little frosty.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see why the first attempt didn't work, needed one more valve. I've held off as long as I can but the supense is killing me. Any goodies in the back, tool box, under the seats? What was the overall observation on condition? I know, too many questions but since you are just sitting there...........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My spider senses say they are coming up on Murfreesboro. Should be home by sun up tomorrow.

rbeasley66

No goodies at all, just a CO2 fire extinguisher. We have good batteries, fuel, a running fuel pump and all the fluids are good. The start button was disconnected and when hooked up, still nothing when it was pushed. We thought about pull starting it, but that meant putting the drive shaft back in. We were running out of time since we both have to be at work at 8 in the morning. GPS says we're home about 2 am now, but that's doing the showed limit. We're cruising along at 55 mph right now.

rbeasley66

Was by there a little while ago. Are you tracking us on radar? Or is it just that you've been through here before? At the TN I-24 100 mile right now.

rbeasley66

The box is in good shape overall. No holes, some rust, all windows are there. The front vent was left open at some time, so there is water damage to the wood floor there. Should work great as a trailer/sleeping room. I'm going to swap the Deuce rear axles out for the M200 gen trailer dually axles, and one of the trailer tongues will go into the truck frame to tow it with. Lots of work ahead for me I'm thinking.

rbeasley66

The mountain pass on I-24 EB, west of Chattanooga, was a bear going up with no third slow truck lane like they have on the WB side. The gear of choice was low range/4th gear at 20 mph, of course it helped to have someone shifting the trans while the driver was going in and out of low range. Then you get to come down the other side, 4th gear and brakes now and then got us to the bottom. GPS is showing home at 3 am now. auaaua

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank God you guys got over that pass safely. We ate chow at the Wafflehouse near the bottom on our trip. The Troll is certainly earning its keep on this venture.

rbeasley66

I bet you sure do turn heads too as your driving down the road.....
That's for sure! It's long, mostly green and goes slow, a real eye catcher we are! We got a lot of long looks driving through Ft. Campbell. Looks of confusion from the young GI's running PT. And looks of interest from the old guys driving around in their cars, like they were remembering a time long ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks