• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler Modification.

sermis

Has anyone compared the sound difference between the NAPA and the glass pack? Seams like the big NAPA would be quieter but I really like the look of the glass pack.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a DB meter at Radio Shack. The Max reading, with the rt ride front and passenger door windows open was 108 db. This w-end, i,ll put the straight pipe back of and get e reading.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a DB meter at Radio Shack. The Max reading, with the rt ride front and passenger door windows open was 108 db. This w-end, i,ll put the straight pipe back of and get e reading.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Turbochargers need a large straight shot out of the exhaust housing(well sort of anyways).The gasses need to tumble around for a bit.The further away from the hot turbine the cooler the exhaust gasses become.As the gas cools it contracts.The pipe diameter,usually being the same I.D. becomes relatively larger passing these cooler less volume occupying gasses.If the muffler is far enough away,and bigger in I.D. if not a staright thru,it should not have any detrimental effects.All new turbocharged commercial trucks have mufflers.

JimK

what was that NAPA part # ???

Hookin1

I will post pics this weekend of my muffler setup,since it is off the truck do to the tranny being out of it....mine mounts under the truck in the same place as the non-turbo....it is a commercial muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same end...it is for the newer civilian turbo trucks whick actually have bigger engines and more boost. i believe it is a donaldson muffler..i'll post the part number too. what i like is that you can't see it and the muffler bracket is still on my frame,alas mine used to be a non-turbo.

sparkylisle

NAPA muffler 21470 measurements

my truck was a m109 and has the exhaust underneath> The muffler that is presently on it has a 3 1/2" inlet and a 2 3/4" outlet. Does anyone have the outside diameter measurements of the muffler body? I'm wonering if I can use the existing mounting strap on the NAPA muffler or will I have to cobble something together? I want to keep the muffler underneath, it allows me to clear a 8' garage door opening with the top installed!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: NAPA muffler 21470 measurements

Has anybody measured the db levels before and after the muffler addition? Also a sound clip with both setups would be real nice to hear. I would like to add the muffler but I'm still wondering how it will sound before I do it. Inside the cab measurements is what I would like to know.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Anyone have any closer pictures of the baffle muffler installed? Also the modifications of the mirror bracket.
Thanks

sermis

I used the NAPA muffler. I don't have a meter but I can say it made a really big difference. The noise I have now is the whine from the transmission in 5th gear. Exhaust noise is not bad at all. I have the solid mirror arms with the old style mirror heads. The muffler clears with no problem.

maxim

Hope I can contribute. I have had the in tank pump go out and floored at the over $400 for a replacement. I went to Auto Value and they found a Carter 24 volt fuel pump that matched the per gallons per hour needs that were similar to the in tank pump. I regret I do not have the model number but they got it from the Carter catalog. It was about $80. I left the drop tube and old pump intact and ran the wire for the Carter through a hole drilled in the top of the Buss fuse box using the original fuse and sealed it. Installed a filter as recomended, and the Carter pump on the tank as it was recomended to be no more than 24" from the fuel source. The photo shows it may be ugly but a whole lot cheaper than an in line or at least until I find one. I have driven the truck over 1200 miles this way and time will tell. There seemed to be no problem with lack of fuel. The Carter was rated for 9-15 GPH and as I understand it the original was 9-12 GPH. The second topic regarding a muffler is, I bought this straight thru muffler at a semi- truck supplier for about $40. It is a no name in a white box but the diameter matched the original. I had to fabricate a flange but it can use the original mounts and guard mounts. It can be swapped with the original in about 10 minutes. Now, it too is ugly but cuts down on the high end noise. There appears to be no loss of power or difference in fuel consumption. I must say that although it does cut down on the exhaust noise, the transmission and engine noise through the fire wall it still is amost too loud with out ear protection. But you can really hear the whistler turbo through it all.

Attachments

sermis

Now that is getting it into the air. I cut my pipe below the mount, removed the upper exhust stack and mounted the muffler. It looks the same as your muffler but the outlet is where the original pipe exited.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks