• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New toy

pwrwagonfire

chrysler_standard_line_1932_brake_light_switch_oem_sls24.jpgDecided I will be doing a new wiring harness myself...Going to do the rear first, using a trailer harness...got the turn signals and stop lights today.

The brakelight switch in the MC is an SLS-24 I found out through some re-search...but nobody seems to sell the "pigtail" or the female end of the switch...whats up with that? Does anybody know where I can get one?

GUNNY 155

I got my switch and connectors from Mid West Military. John has most other connectors too. Eriks Military and Industrial Surplus and Saturn Surplus are also good sources for electrical commectors, both Douglas and Packard styles.

pwrwagonfire

Any updates on this Tom? Did you get your fuel delivery solved?

I did actually! Ended up replacing the fuel pump with a new Carter model, adding an inline filter before the pump, and bleeding the fuel system all the way back to the carb...that solved the issue!

In the last 2 weeks or so, I've replaced the points, rotor, condenser, cap and coil.
Waiting for this **** snow to melt away so I can get back to working under the hood!

m38nut

Nice truck, you have put a lot of work into it and should be proud of it ! I was wondering what the p# of the carter fuel pump was that you used on your truck ? I recently picked up a 52 m-37 that ran about 12 yrs ago and want to see if I can get it running again. Thanks

pwrwagonfire

Nice truck, you have put a lot of work into it and should be proud of it ! I was wondering what the p# of the carter fuel pump was that you used on your truck ? I recently picked up a 52 m-37 that ran about 12 yrs ago and want to see if I can get it running again. Thanks

I used Carter M2090, which is listed "dodge B-1 Truck, Dodge 1-ton." This won't be the standard military model with the primer, but it was what came on my truck, and works fine.

Thanks for your kind comments! I look forward to getting a bit more done!

225513791.jpg

m38nut

Thanks for the p#. Don't really care if it's the stock pump right now, just want to get it running and see what work I have ahead of me ! Keep up the good work ! I've been following your posts and many others, a great amount of good info and knowledge here along with friendly advice !

M-37Bruce

Well I really like the way you tank filler is built up, mine is still being held in place w/bungee cords! I had added the mechanical Carter pump and then one from John @ midwest, now the 12 volt Carter and a Melnor fuel filter/H2O separator. Now to wiring everything!

Attachments

m38nut

Bruce, did you not have enough pressure with the carter or stock pump ? Are you using a fuel pump and a electric pump also ? Your setup looks like a clean install .

M-37Bruce

Just the electrical pump, I am to chicken to try it out/finish the wiring!! I installed the last mech pump and plugged all of the inlets/outlets rather than making a patch for the hole. I really want/need someone to have a look at the way I have wired it, afraid I'll fry the pump, I am!

pwrwagonfire

Bruce, did you not have enough pressure with the carter or stock pump ? Are you using a fuel pump and a electric pump also ? Your setup looks like a clean install .
In my experience with flatheads, it's a good idea (especially on the smaller 230 and 218 to install a secondary electric "flow through" fuel pump. Both the civi PW's I work with have this. It helps in the summer heat when the engine is working hard and starts to vapor lock (the smaller engines are more prone to this in the heat than the 251)...when that happens, flip on the electric pump and bam it straightens out!

I plan on doing this on mine as well when it's on the road...also as I see M-37Bruce did, adding an inline fuel filter before the pump is another good addition!

Happy wrenching guys!

M-37Bruce, before I put my body on, I really didn't feel comfortable with the filler flapping in the breeze...the word brace worked like a charm!:grin:

M-37Bruce

I couldn't even get it started w/ the mechanical pumps, even priming the pump. (physically filling the bowl) After rebuilding the carb, it ran, but would not idle, replaced the throttle body, then the pumps, now I'm hesitant to move forward..... it will happen, just need another pair of eyes on it, maybe my Coca-Cola driver, Charles Tinsley will hep me out?

pwrwagonfire

So the last couple weeks my M-37 have been downtown at my buddy's shop...besides attracting a LOT of attention (and a lot of purchase offers), it had a full clean up, and tune up of the carb.

He also installed some new spark plug wires for me, and gave the fuel system a good flushing. Truck runs great. Turns out the shop was using it for their run around truck this week !:shock:

Anyhow, I was able to throw their repair plate on it, and drive it the 1 mile home. First trip down the road...I could NOT wipe the smile off of my face for hours.

Now it's just little things...in a couple weeks I'm driving it up to my buddy's again, and we are gonna strip the wiring and make a new harness.

Then registration.

I have 4 used (but decent) NDTs for it, and I got the wipers working, so hopefully a sticker and plates in August/September!!

0605131821.jpg0607131757.jpg

M-37Bruce

Working Pump

Well the stars aligned and the od godess is mobile, I wish I had done the electric fuel pump earlier! I am going to tweak the fuel pick-up a little.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Regards,

pwrwagonfire

Well today I got to take my truck on its longest ride in years...about 2 miles! My new speedway harness showed up, so I had to bring the truck up to my friend's garage to tear into the wiring at long last.

Truck ran great, I'm 99% sure however that the carb still needs tweaking. It is running really rich, and the idle is still off a bit. Stalled twice on the trip, which was strange...the trucks idle just bottomed out and it stalled.

Here is a picture of me and my buddy who went along for the ride.

Seems that I also have a leaky oil pan gasket. Brand new as of the engine rebuild in 2011, must be a bubble in the gasket or something!

More updates in the weeks to follow on the wiring!

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Finally tore into the wiring tonight. My buddy Rob and I pulled all the old wiring out of the truck and the dash, ready to install the new harness.

Also removed the CCKW hardtop for the time being. Will be nice to get some extra space and light while working under the dash!

Getting new gauges tomorrow from the store. We worked out a cool way to mount the front turn signals; looks like we will be taking a blackout drive light mounting bracket off my parts truck and re working it to hold the passenger side turn signal, should be pretty easy to do. The blackout lights look cool and are historically accurate, but I just can't justify putting them on for this project. I will save them though as they are original to the truck!

Included some pictures; first up is all the old wiring which was removed. REALLY hacked up. Multiple fuses daisy chained together.

Attachments