• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo,

The statute does not address commercial or heavy truck licenses. It is a part of the licensing statute under exemptions. Technically under your summery you are probably correct, however I would be extremely careful, particularly if the truck is transporting goods commercially as you may have to prove in court that you are not being compensated. I suspect this might be difficult to do. Further under 40-5-159 (sub c) conviction is a misdemeanor with a minimum fine of $500. I don't know what the policy of the various cities and counties in this state for this offense in so far as a bond is concerned prior to court. In other words, you might find yourself in jail until you can bond out or go to court.

Mac

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo,

The statute does not address commercial or heavy truck licenses. It is a part of the licensing statute under exemptions. Technically under your summery you are probably correct, however I would be extremely careful, particularly if the truck is transporting goods commercially as you may have to prove in court that you are not being compensated. I suspect this might be difficult to do. Further under 40-5-159 (sub c) conviction is a misdemeanor with a minimum fine of $500. I don't know what the policy of the various cities and counties in this state for this offense in so far as a bond is concerned prior to court. In other words, you might find yourself in jail until you can bond out or go to court.

Mac
That's why I am so PITA in getting this not only right but black and white on paper citing specific laws. It might be very expensive, time-consuming and frustrating to prove that I was right after all (or find out I was not). A night in jail is NOT a USA experience I am waiting for, regardless how funny it might sound in stories afterwards.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a productive day today; few more admin hurdles taken.

Went to the Dutch Embassy for a new passport. Set me back a f***** $$$ 175 ( :shock: :shock: ouch, that's 20% of a flight ticket). But for a sweet $ 8 they will deliver it to my front door in 10 days. Saves me a second 2 1/2 hour drive there with $ 40 in fuel costs.

Also visited the US Embassy. No dice on our Cold War exhibition, but they are seriously interested in an educational - cultural blacksmith exchange in 2015 (CR) and 2016 (USA). They advised me to set up a draft grant and come talk. Any blacksmiths in our SS membership?

Racing back to our region, I just managed to reach the local office handling vehicle and driver registrations 10 minutes before closing time. The guy was not happy but nevertheless came through. So now I have my International Driver's Permit and "motor vehicle driver’s record". No penalty points and the only registered infraction was a speeding ticket from 2007. The good thing of this MVD record is that it states that I am holder of all available licenses and explicitly mentions that I have a CDL according the EU rules as well valid until 2019.

Have to get that and my med records certified translated.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need some assistance. I am coming, but I have to leave my truck in the area for a week so I can fly out Sunday morning to Houston for work. Is there anyone somewhat near Greenville or some other airport between Durhamtown and heading north? I will need to leave my truck and what ever junk I picked up there for a week or so, fly back and pick it up. Any ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am exactly 50 miles from D-town. You're welcome to leave it at my house, it's secure and very few items will be missing when you pick it up.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also about 45 miles north of Duramtown about 10 from I85 and 75 miles from Greenville, 15mi north of Athens. You are welcome to leave it here. It will have plenty of company. If you are flying out of /in to Greenville this is closer, if you are using Atlanta, Clinto is closer. You won't be missing much if you leave it here.

Mac

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow thanks everyone, also the load of PMs. I will need to be close to Greenville to get to the airport, so I think Ken's place will prob work the best. I knew the support here would be awesome!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
58. Days out people. If you save a nickel a day you can almost buy a burger. My humble advice is to save more.

andy3

Wheelspinner, if you decide to go out of ATL I have space in the motor pool. 35 min from the airport, 3 min off 85. I'm sure I could also get you to the airport. Fares out of ATL will be much better than GSP.

Whiterabbit

58 days?
Aghhhhhh....
That's 58 days too many! I'm already packing the truck and selling blood for gas!
Oh is that 58 days till the "official" start or when some of ya'll start showing up. Some of ya'll get there kind'a early. Weeks early! rofl

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats right. Gotta get busy this week and start getting things lined up for the rally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks