• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RED diesel fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4thundr

been running red in my truck for 5 years now im in a rural area never seen a dot guy EVER. the only time im gonna have a prob is if i get in a accident and burst the tank and leak the red stuff on the ground. OH run red in the farm service truck too........ LOL

KsM715

I dont think I would be bragging about that. (you know what karma is?) within a month your gonna wreck that truck or simply get a random dip from some DOT guy with nothing better to do.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off-road diesel (dyed) used to be high sulfur and on-road was low sulfur. Recently they have changed off-road to low sulfur and on-road to ultra low sulfur. They are working on changing it all over to ultra low in the future. For years nobody cared about off-road equipment but the EPA is really starting to crack down on off-road emissions.

In TN you are allowed to burn homemade biofuels (up to a point but I don't recall the gallon limit) tax free. So there's really no worry running alt fuels in TN but you still can't run dyed fuel.

emr

actually there are 3 diesel fuels for sale here in northern nj, , they are only different in sulfur content,... the newest super low sulfur has made it 3, that is absolutely the only difference other than tax and price, they ALL run in ALL diesels period, the only difference not noted is emissions . home heat oil..and off road, and at the pump, is what is for sale at the delivery services I use....most guard units are paying with state funds and buy the lowest bid oil and usually gets home heat grade the guy I use says here, its all good, if your truck is registered antique, i can not see a prob with running off road in an off road truck that does NOT require inspection , alot will not take the chance, i think it is more than worth it, and know it is not a problem to talk about either, ... good luck ... run it thru and run pump fuel if u want , but itss all good, and as for lub, absolutely no trucks have been found to have a prob with the new fuels, or the old. oh there are a few thou threads on this too :)

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been trying to bite my tongue but I think it needs to be said. I hate paying taxes as much or more than the next guy but I wonder why people think they should be exempt from paying taxes (fuel taxes) that everbody else on the road has to pay?

ODdave

I've been trying to bite my tongue but I think it needs to be said. I hate paying taxes as much or more than the next guy but I wonder why people think they should be exempt from paying taxes (fuel taxes) that everbody else on the road has to pay?
not contradicting what you said but if you lived in MICHIGAN you would see why someone would not want to pay taxes that are spose to fix the roads, we have to save our money for suspension repairs on our cars/trucks..........LOL

Last edited:

markmontana

not contradicting what you said but if you livved in MICHIGAN you would see why someone would not want to pay taxes that are spose to fix the roads, we have to save our money for suspension repairs on our cars/trucks..........LOL
AMEN! We must be sending our Utah hiway dollars to some other state- they don't spend them dollars here...:p

ichudov

The punishment is more like $10 per gallon, not $1,000.

I would say,

1) get evidence that the truck came with red fuel (GL auction printout, mileage, photos), that will help in court if you get caught with dye resudue
2) drain the red fuel, sell it for a couple of dollars a gallon, drain the lines, change filter, run good fuel for a while.

It is not that huge of a deal and you can explain yourself in court and likely they will let you off if you have documentation and tried to get rid of red dyed fuel residue.

K9Vic

Two plus year old post, OK...

ive bought several bus's from a local school district over the years, they are always full of "off road fuel". i drive them home. never had a problem. im not concerned about it. thanks. mark
Well to answer this since this post was bumped, that is because they are tax exempt. So they legally can run non-taxed fuel as they are a government entity and are exempt from paying taxes on diesel fuel. This does not apply to gasoline, only diesel in Texas.

CHAPTER 162. MOTOR FUEL TAXES
SUBCHAPTER C. DIESEL FUEL TAX
162.204. EXEMPTIONS. (a) The tax imposed by this subchapter does not apply to:
(2) diesel fuel sold to a public school district in this state for the district's exclusive use;

KsM715

Two plus year old post, OK...

Well to answer this since this post was bumped, that is because they are tax exempt. So they legally can run non-taxed fuel as they are a government entity and are exempt from paying taxes on diesel fuel. This does not apply to gasoline, only diesel in Texas.

CHAPTER 162. MOTOR FUEL TAXES
SUBCHAPTER C. DIESEL FUEL TAX
162.204. EXEMPTIONS. (a) The tax imposed by this subchapter does not apply to:
(2) diesel fuel sold to a public school district in this state for the district's exclusive use;

Question? Once one buys the bus it is no longer owned/operated by the school so technically wouldnt the new owner be required to pay the tax on the fuel in the tank? I know its a far stretch on the off chance that you would get stopped on the trip home from buying the bus but what about moving it around say 2,3,4 weeks later after its been converted into what ever the new owner wanted but is still running on the same tank of fuel as when bought. I bet you'd have a pretty hard time fighting the ticket.

K9Vic

First I am not a lawyer, just that I am aware that government vehicles in Texas are tax exempt. Until I saw the comment from 'markg' I did not know they were exempt from diesel fuel taxes and looked it up because I wanted to know why.

I am sure it would be a hard time fighting the ticket if you kept using the red-dyed fuel. However driving it home I would think it would be OK as you can explain you just bought it if stopped. After getting it home it would be the new owners responsibility to comply with the law. So that would mean drain or run off the fuel and put in normal fuel in it and change the filter. If there are traces left and you do have an issue you can always explain to the officer it was previously government owned tax exempt vehicle. That does not mean you will not get a ticket, but is ones only defense on the side of the road. Plus titles in Texas show previous owner and that will show on the DMV system, so the office would know it was from a school district for example.

I have never seen red-dye fuel from the three CUCV trucks I have bought from Texas cities that where tax exempt vehicles. I know this as I have changed the filters and bleed the fuel systems on them. So they got normal diesel and likely did not pay the taxes as all these cities had their own fuel stations.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question? Once one buys the bus it is no longer owned/operated by the school so technically wouldnt the new owner be required to pay the tax on the fuel in the tank? I know its a far stretch on the off chance that you would get stopped on the trip home from buying the bus but what about moving it around say 2,3,4 weeks later after its been converted into what ever the new owner wanted but is still running on the same tank of fuel as when bought. I bet you'd have a pretty hard time fighting the ticket.
I'd say technically you'd be in violation of the tax laws. It would probably depend on how bad the cop wanted to bust you (some cops are "by the book" and I'd bet you'd get a ticket). You should be able to win in court though but it would still be a major pain fighting it.

All that being said, if I bought a bus with dyed fuel I'd probably run the tank out rather than go to the trouble of draining it. It should also be noted that it takes several tanks of clear fuel to get rid of the dye.

I was talking about all this with the guy that delivers our bulk fuel. He said when they take a dyed bulk fuel tank and convert it to clear fuel they notify the state and fully document why and when they converted it (the clear fuel in the tank will still show traces of dye for awhile). He said it won't necessarily keep you from getting a ticket but you will win it court if you notify and keep good records of everything.

Last edited:

salami-cop

I remember seeing the IRS doing a Diesel check lane at the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan. Don't think they won't check your tank for red Diesel....

f800

I don't see what the big deal is. You bought the vehicle, not the fuel. It just happened to come with the vehicle. Who checks the color of their diesel? If you're really concerned, write down mileage and save fuel receipts for first 4-5 fill-ups.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a friend that paid dearly in Alabama when his pickup was checked and he had offroad in it. They check the color, not the composition. Remember also that the fine is for not paying road taxes. Remember, there were no road taxes paid on ATF either. Offroad is plentiful in rural areas. In many urban areas it is much harder to find. You are much more likely to be checked if you are driving in an area where Offroad is readily available. The most likely vehicles to be pulled over and checked are diesel pickups with nurse-tanks in the bed.

quickfarms

You have a choice here.

If you have a off road application that uses diesel than just drain the tank and put 5 gallons in the tank and run it and repeat until the red is gone.

Another option is to log the miles and run the tank down and start the 5 gallon purging. If you document this and keep all the receipts in the truck you have an explanation if you get dipped.

Another option is to pay the tax for the fuel in the tank.

Have you called the local commercial officer, DOT or state police to get there opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks