• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

91W350

Talked to the local tattoo guy/mural painter about doing some "nose art"... turned on the water valves so the heater might work, replaced inner and outer rear axle seals on the 71, flange gaskets and repacked the bearings with Mobil 1 bearing grease, adjusted the air pressure, put on a new left front tire and wheel. Replaced the seat shock, tightened up the bolt through the shifter. I still need to adjust the winch PTO linkage so the lever gate traps the PTO in neutral. I found a reasonable 12,000 Warn Industrial to mount under the box. After doing some preliminary measuring, it looks like that will be a pretty simple winch mount to create. Getting ready for winter....

JOEDEUCE

Installed new front lenses on front lights, installed new external inline fuel pump, powerwashed frame and applied rust conveter coating, and began to repaint rear frame . I haven't had luck finding an original bed/cargo body for my deuce in the VA area, so I'm probably going to design a bed /utility body and build to my needs, which may prove to be more usefull in the longrun. Its kind of a toss up at the moment....

bones1

Cleaned and painted chassis. Installed all new shoes,wheel cylinders, seals, one front boot and inner seal, and brake hoses on all wheels, quite a job. Have to bleed the brakes still. Installed bows and new camo cover. Installed axle vent hoses with clear heavy ribbed hose. Installed gas hood lift cylinders last week, they work great lifting the hood from the ground.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A dogbone came completely off causing the axle to move back and forth enough that the little shackle on the front of the leaf spring crushed the brake line. It also wasted the other two bushings on the axle.
So now I get to replace 3 dogbones and a brake line.

Connected come along to front axle with chain, be careful of airlines and brake lines. Pulled the axle into roughly where it belongs

Bought 12 ton jacks and jackstands

New 3/4 inch breaker bar/ socket wrench still needs a cheater bar.... Guess what happens to those Chinese tools? With PB blaster, a 2 lb sledge I got the rear part of it out. The front however with the bushing by itself, no room to pound. How am I going to do this? After getting a crowbar in the face, I read the TM's, POUND ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BRACKET!!!!! Popped right out. One out.

New one going in. Got the front in, back shown here, doesn't line up....

ratchet straps to pull the axles into alignment and get that rod in.

Success. First dogbone IN except I need a 600 ftLB torque wrench. More to follow. Only 3 more dogbones and a brake line to go.... Figure I might as well do the other upper rod while I have the leaf spring top off. The last two on the bottom rear axle can wait.
Got the old brake line off, installed new(used brakeline) and found it leaks when I started to bleed the brakes!!!!! ERRRRRRR
2nd dogbone. Can't get a socket in there! Wifey got a wrench for me. Can't get enough leverage to break the nut loose, so I'll use my ingenuity....

bones1

Stampy.After a few weeks of measuring and trying different brackets and positions, you really have to be anal to do this.
Next I had to find a manufacturer to custom make the correct gas lifts, pressure and lengths. Took a bit of math but they work fantastic.

The company is in Canada
LST technologies
Fellow that took the time to figure mine out is Nolan Fehr.
306-683-5000

Attachments

CanonNinja

Swapped all my lights to LED
changed fuel filter and cleaned check valve on the tank
painted bumper stencils
adjusted the parking brake (i kinda fried it a bit)
checked some grounds and did some minor misc. adjustments
mounted my antenna on the bed
mounted ls-671 speaker on dash
replaced 2 missing wheel weights
ordered a bunch of parts for the continuing restoration

SMOKEWAGON66

I havent done much lately...been formulating, locating, measuring and trying to get $$$ to start the major parts of my build....so i decided to tinker a little. This is NOT permanent, and I know its not the right paint etc...so that being said i was just taping off and painting to see what i need to do to get it correct-having a little fun so to speak...

Attachments

Seth_O

New passenger side inner axle seal! I removed the nasty congealed snot mixture from the knuckle, cleaned it up and installed the new seal. I also chased all the threads on the knuckle, probably should have done that a long time ago, those weren't in great shape.

I got a belt and got the 12v alt hooked up and ordered the 24v relay to run the power. Now I just need to get a battery, fuse box and wiring and the truck is juiced up.

Welder Sam

i.... had it delivered... checked it out... replaced a missing plug... put batteries in... looked it over again... drove it to work a couple of times... inspected it today... corrected what i needed .... drove it 140 miles... now, im getting ready to go get a winch truck and drive it 350 miles home:beer:

Clay James

I'm replacing my front axle seals, shocks, kingpin and spindle bushings, kingpin plate, front brake shoes, all brake lines, and rebuild the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Had lots of end play so it was time to fix stuff and I figured I may as well do the brakes while I'm at it for piece of mind. Not a cheap endeavor.

Also helping my buddy do his front axle seals and brakes. Good thing too as his brake fluid looked like it was full of mud and one of the front brake shoes wasn't even working. Emptied the fluid into into a jar and it separated into black and gray fluids.

Last edited:

JOEDEUCE

Bought two new 900X20 mud /snow grip tires for the front of my deuce. My front tires looked good but they had some flat spots from sitting. I went with some inexspensive 10 ply tires. The two additional plys add extra support up front. Hoping to take the truck out for a test run tomorrow. I will post pics asap

big block 88

Been working on the rear axle seals for a couple weekends needed to order some parts. Changed out a bad tire on the inner rear dual, replaceing some bad bad studs new master cylinder new hydravac installed heater coating cab floor installed defroster fans adjusted parking brake installed new flood lights, 3 centered on the front bumper marker lights going on bed dome light for cab. We are busy trying to get ready for winter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks