• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

ralph3162

Well finished install of diverter and all tubing. I now have heater & defroster both at the same time. Finally I am set up for winter weather. If we ever get any here in Texas LOL.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrestled with the pipe plug on the thermostat housing. Finally got it to move. Threaded in a reducer bushing and threaded a brass thermocouple ("thermostat" for the ether kit) into that. Promptly overtorqued and broke the threaded brass part off the hex headed thermostat. Could not get a grip on the broken, threaded part to thread it back out from the bushing, so ground it flat. Welded brass thermostat housing onto steel bushing. Looks like sh**. I tried not to cook the thermostat. No idea if it still works. Packed up tools and walked away. Here's your sign.

Jeepsinker

If you used silver solder to solder the brass to steel, you probably did cook the thermostat. If you need to get the brass part out, remember that brass melts at lower temp than steel.

orrisd4

got the radiator back from the shop, got her all hooked up , new hoses water pump re-installed, everything is good , just need a wiring harness yet before i can change out the filters

ralph3162

got the radiator back from the shop, got her all hooked up , new hoses water pump re-installed, everything is good , just need a wiring harness yet before i can change out the filters
I have a front wiring harness. I need to install it sooner or later, but I am still working on figuring out all the number tags. I need to know what wire goes where so I can re-label them to make install a little easier.

nchittendon

With a new puppy taking most of my attention, it's hard to get anything done. However, while letting her run in the back yard, I grabbed my 7/16 and my brake clean and checked all my axle vents. Can't wait until I replace them all with a vent system to the air cleaner housing.

Oh, and a very simple job turns more intense when there is a 10 week old chomping on your feet.

brianp454

I recently did this to my turck. A few 1/4 NPT fittings, T's, 1/4 inch tubing at Lowes ($3.49 per 50ft) and an hour or so and I was done. Now all gear boxes have a real vent that doesn't blow oil out all over my brakes...

With a new puppy taking most of my attention, it's hard to get anything done. However, while letting her run in the back yard, I grabbed my 7/16 and my brake clean and checked all my axle vents. Can't wait until I replace them all with a vent system to the air cleaner housing.

Oh, and a very simple job turns more intense when there is a 10 week old chomping on your feet.

ralph3162

View attachment 522352Cool thank you YOLNER that should help. I do have a small concern. I know there have been a few of these out there that have mistakes. I have been tracking my wiring down in my current harness. It has most of the metal tags still but not all it is a slow process only a few at a time. Everything in my truck works but the wires are old and cracking and have some splices from previous owner. I bought the harness new, but was told it may not be complete because of all the different variants of the truck. That is why I have been tracking the wires manually to make sure what I have and what is missing before I go tearing out a working harness. I use the truck almost daily so I cant have it down more than a day or so. It is a project I need to start and finish and have back on the road before the end of my days off.

Last edited:

nchittendon

I recently did this to my turck. A few 1/4 NPT fittings, T's, 1/4 inch tubing at Lowes ($3.49 per 50ft) and an hour or so and I was done. Now all gear boxes have a real vent that doesn't blow oil out all over my brakes...
It was funny.....my rearmost axle vent didn't budge. I unscrewed it, and as I removed it it hissed at me. The truck had sat for about a week......I wonder where the pressure came from? I mean, I guess I should be proud that my seals held the pressure that long.

dezert ratt

I finally added a boost and pyro gauge, the truck had a max egt of 900 degrees at the stock fuel setting while running 395 size tires. Next I bypassed the fdc, and now have seen a max egt of 1150 degrees uphill.
I also setup my jeep to accept a medium towbar, but still need to make towing lights.
I am also in the process of finishing the plumbing on my "burst air tank" which is mounted rear of the rear most axle under the bed in front of the pintle hitch. This tank has a direct 1/2" line for running my impact gun and tire inflation tools.
View attachment 522648View attachment 522649View attachment 522650

Last edited:

Dipstick

Me and some friends drove ours 180 miles each way to the GA Rally. Minor issues with my friends trucks but I just drove mine on some trails and had no issues the whole trip. The T831 Firestone tires worked great on the trails and I never had to be pulled out of a mud hole.
Nice to know the T831s are effective. That's what I run. They ride surprisingly well on asphalt too.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever experience any sidewall rub with that configuration? Those certainly seem to have better thread than NDT's for off road traction.
Re: Your post on page #67.
Sorry, I don't visit this thread very often and someone else brought your post to my attention.
I do not have any tire rub issues with my fronts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dipstick

CB radio install

Brutus got a new CB radio this week. So far my reception is weak and almost totally static. I wonder if my placement of the antenna through the upper mirror support arms has anything to do with that. Some advice from the radio savvy among us would be greatly appreciated by uscb2small.jpgcbsmall.jpgPwrsupplysmall.jpgantennasmall.jpg.

Dipstick

Re: Your post on page #67
Sorry, I don't visit this thread very often and some else brought your post to my attention.
I do not have any tire rub issues with my fronts.
I love my T831s. I do have a front rub problem because I have hydraulic power steering. The outer diameter of the inside tread rubs against the power steering arm on hard right turns. It doesn't seem to hurt the treads, but it has me limiting how tightly I turn to the right. The hydraulic power steering box is mounted outside the frame. Is that your Brockway? It's SWEET!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks