• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

cummins7

Yea it's the factory setup with the stakes that go into the troop seats, then the metal 90deg corners and then the bow goes in between. I had 2 broken ones and couldn't find any local oem ones and made these in about half an hour for $30

todds112

G'day everyone,...

Today I took my Deuce to get its roadworthy done.
Went smoother than I thought it would.

All they did was walk around it had a look under it.
Took down some details, watched me replace an indicator globe that wasn't working, now they all do.
Then we took it out to do a brake test.
Just had to drive it at around 15 miles an hour then stop!
The little box he brought with him measures braking force, spits out a printed report and all done!
Went back to the workshop, filled out a form and that's it.
Done.
The hard part is over.

Next trip will be to go get the car club paperwork done for the cub registration and I am all leagal.

And today for us Aussies is memorial day so me driving the Deuce attracted a LOT of Attention!
The one day I forgot my camera.
:(

Aussie.
Great to hear! Hope you have nothing but fun with her.

cummins7

Nice job on the woodwork! [thumbzup]
Noticed that the cargo cover looked different from many I've seen. Any information on that?
Thanks really didn't want to build a steam box for this hopefully one time project. The cargo cover I believe is a standard issue, could just be the way the picture turned out but will look into it.

cummins7

Not intentionally, the previous owner painted it that hideous green. Hoping to paint it in the spring, I just used rapco spray cans for the interior and was very pleased with the turn out. I will prolly go with them on the 383 carc green for the exterior.

daytonatrbo

Not intentionally, the previous owner painted it that hideous green. Hoping to paint it in the spring, I just used rapco spray cans for the interior and was very pleased with the turn out. I will prolly go with them on the 383 carc green for the exterior.
Truck looks good with the single rear and the full size bed.

As for the cover, I think most folks are used to seeing the old canvas ones where the end-curtains are separate pieces. Yours appears to be a one-piece job, which I can only assume is a newer style.

cummins7

Yea I've grown to like the long bob, I originally was gonna cut the factory bed down but having to redo the troop seats and cargo cover. It sounded like more of a hassle then it's worth. The cargo cover is vinyl, I never seen a canvas one but see the end curtains for sale from time to time.

rustystud

Yea I've grown to like the long bob, I originally was gonna cut the factory bed down but having to redo the troop seats and cargo cover. It sounded like more of a hassle then it's worth. The cargo cover is vinyl, I never seen a canvas one but see the end curtains for sale from time to time.
I always thought if I ever buy another deuce I would "Long Bob" it too. Looks good !

mjcdetroit

Tore off most of the injector lines to find where it was leaking fuel from on the hydraulic head. I was scared it might be an O ring problem.

Turns out, the #4 injector line was loose at the hydraulic head. Took it out and reseated it....and (knock on wood) it seems to be leak free.
uploadfromtaptalk1447821334286.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447821384168.jpg

Last edited:

daytonatrbo

Tore off most of the injector lines to find where it was leaking fuel from on the hydraulic head. I was scared it might be an O ring problem.

Turns out, the #4 injector line was loose at the hydraulic head. Took it out and reseated it....and (knock on wood) it seems to be leak free.
I'm facing a similar problem on my 109. I can't even test a repair until my new lift pump comes in.

rustystud

008.jpg002.jpg007.jpg

We had a break in the crappy weather we've been having here lately so I went out and finished installing my Injection pump oil hoses. I replaced the broken brass 45 degree fitting with a stainless steel one and installed the 919 PTFE hoses. I then fired up the old girl to check for any leaks. It looked great! Then about 3 minutes in I saw a drip. So I went under the truck to see and found some fuel on the lower hose. As I was trying to find out where it was coming from it started to actually pour out. Now I'm really concerned and looking all over. Of course the fuel is also all over the side of the block now. I finally found it coming out from the brass stem I used for the fuel gauge. The brass nipple had split down the middle about 1" in length. So now I will be buying a stainless steel nipple and maybe a few more fittings to replace all that brass. Never trust brass over 50psi again ! That would have put a real crimp in my travel plans in Alaska !011.jpg

rustystud

Garrett. I tried to find that 3 way fitting at the Parker place. Parker doesn't sell anything like that. I have another place in Seattle that they recommended. This place sells a lot of stuff to the fishermen who go to Alaska. He felt it looked like something he had seen in a marine diesel application. We'll see.

brianp454

Nice work Rusty!

Garrett. I tried to find that 3 way fitting at the Parker place. Parker doesn't sell anything like that. I have another place in Seattle that they recommended. This place sells a lot of stuff to the fishermen who go to Alaska. He felt it looked like something he had seen in a marine diesel application. We'll see.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Rusty, Please share with us who that recommended stainless fitting vendor is...Also, it your recent picture, what is that guage for? Is it a thermometer? For what?

Last night my roommate and I got a call for a recovery. He used his jeep to winch out a new 4 runner stuck in a creek and I used the deuce to recover a stuck f-250. Buried to the frame 75 yds out on a flat in the same creek. It has rained hard and steady for the last 2 days here so it was a slop fest. Shackled 4 straps together to get enough length and put a 5' jerk on him. Started in low range second and shifted to third. Deuce was hooked up and pulled him out with ease. Had the front axle engaged, but constant clicking like a gear bouncing off another. I disengaged the front in the middle of the pull and the only change was the clicking stopped. Transfer case sent. I've got my money jar going now for a new unit and a winch. Can't imagine how much easier it would have been with 6 wheel drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks