• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

donkren

I mounted up some new (to me) tires on 24 bolt wheels. They came without run flats, so I scrubbed them out and added 8 oz of non-biodegradable airsoft bbs, then installed them with TrailWorthy's pvc bead locks. I'm anxious to see how they ride, but I'm now waiting on a glow plug extractor from Kascar. I'll post my impressions after I get a few miles on them for anyone considering doing something similar. On a related note, I remember thinking the hoist built into the rhino spare tire carrier was just so girls could drive HMMWVs, but after wrestling five of these things around over the last couple of days, I'm loving the idea of not having to lift them any more.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted up some new (to me) tires on 24 bolt wheels. They came without run flats, so I scrubbed them out and added 8 oz of non-biodegradable airsoft bbs, then installed them with TrailWorthy's pvc bead locks. I'm anxious to see how they ride, but I'm now waiting on a glow plug extractor from Kascar. I'll post my impressions after I get a few miles on them for anyone considering doing something similar. On a related note, I remember thinking the hoist built into the rhino spare tire carrier was just so girls could drive HMMWVs, but after wrestling five of these things around over the last couple of days, I'm loving the idea of not having to lift them any more.
Will be interested to hear your results with the beadlocks and BBs. I don't ever expect to need run-flats, though I feel having them alleviates me needing to carry a spare (which I don't have, unless you count my M116A3 and I happen to be towing it at the time I get a flat!). I've thought about pulling them out, and using dynamic balancing like yours.

Bulldogger

NormB

Question. What’s wrong with this picture?

Answer. Two different size fittings. Between the crossover and the water pump.

The smaller being on top leaked no matter how much I torqued down the hose clamp.

This wasn’t at all obvious to me when I first changed the hose - it’s a tight fit getting the short piece in there. I just noticed the anti-freeze dripping occasionally and it still did after I torqued the heck out of the clamp - again.

So I swapped it out for the correct size fitting - The bottom one, the one on top I was about to put back in when I took a second look at the hose. As you can see one end is smaller than the other.

Motor pool PFC snuffy strikes again.

6F0D06D3-737C-40DA-8D9A-6E0B37FF3DF1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlietango

Question. What’s wrong with this picture?

Answer. Two different size fittings. Between the crossover and the water pump.

The smaller being on top leaked no matter how much I torqued down the hose clamp.

This wasn’t at all obvious to me when I first changed the hose - it’s a tight fit getting the short piece in there. I just noticed the anti-freeze dripping occasionally and it still did after I torqued the heck out of the clamp - again.

So I swapped it out for the correct size fitting - The bottom one, the one on top I was about to put back in when I took a second look at the hose. As you can see one and is smaller than the other.

Motor pool PFC snuffy strikes again.

Funny you say that...... mines leaking there a tiny bit every couple weeks and I thought maybe the threads needed some dope. Going to check this

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the 37" tires on the HMMWV I would be real nervous to run without run flats. It's a long way down to the rim and could cause real problems on the highway with a blowout.

Mark

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Park Bench.jpg
The Sport Flyers Sunday Morning Coffee Club used one as a mobile park bench this morning to stay in the sunlight and out of the wind. They have a new appreciation for the troop carrier version.

suzukovich

On Sunday participated in a display with the 1st Chapter of the Florida MVPA West Region, at the Army Navy Store in St Petersburg Florida.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

suzukovich

Ho-ho-ho.

Did that once long time ago... Brigade Commander went ballistic.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll pick one up today.
Know the feeling did the same to mine. Commander had a cow. Everything at Hood was tan so it really stuck out.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

NormB

Not a “done to” but a “done with”. Took mine out for a little ride this morning to test out the centramatic balancers I’d installed a few days ago. They work great. Think I’ll keep them. Brought truck inside to putter around under the hood and our new dog “Hudson” (i got outvoted) finally decided to come into the garage to poke around. I helped him into the back just to get him used to the sounds, smells and view. Have a seat cover on order for the commander’s seat for him. Cone of shame comes off Sunday.

341C319B-B42A-4DF1-8241-90608FA4A5FD.jpg

He’s definitely found “his spot.” He got right in and went to sleep while I was working on some hoses a while later.

40FD2B89-1CD0-4886-80EB-C9AE44E540A4.jpg

Last edited:

ryanruck

Not a “done to” but a “done with”. Took mine out for a little ride this morning to test out the centramatic balancers I’d installed a few days ago. They work great. Think I’ll keep them. Brought truck inside to putter around under the hood and our new dog “Hudson” (i got outvoted) finally decided to come into the garage to poke around. I helped him into the back just to get him used to the sounds, smells and view. Have a seat cover on order for the commander’s seat for him. Cone of shame comes off Sunday.

Nothing wrong with Hudson... :mrgreen:

a13019ac2b064fbca36d01dacbaf7b47--aliens--the-aliens.jpg

infidel got me

It was actually for a jeep project that I never installed it on. It slides inside the intake pipe REALLY tight. I added black silicone when I slid it into the stack just for kicks/ no clamp. Got it on fleapay for under $20 if I remember correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks