• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Thumper580

Not too terrible other than the rear “T” vent lines are a pain to reach and you can only get 1/8 of a turn it seems with a wrench each time.
Thanks. Is yours the new style tank or early A0. I have two rear brake discs, one on each half shaft. I think that's the new style tank.

rcamacho

Set front toe in per TM. 3/16” toe in and called it good enough. Centered steering wheel after many, many adjustments…

Removed all shims from LF control arms to get positive camber under control. LF is nearly 0 degrees camber now. Still have to do the same to RF which is running about 1 degree positive atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So on Saturday drove over to a friend's house to help put soft tops on the 2 M1123s he just received after many months of waiting.

I found it interesting that they both had the MAK uparmor data plate on them, but they had 2 different sets of springs in them. One had the welded rear perches, the other had cast.

One of them still had the Red-Dot aircon hooked up and blowing cold air. Not sure how they managed that and still removed the armor that it should have passed through, but magic maybe?

In one of the trucks was the below tag, in a bag, under the seat. While it doesn't mean anything, I still thought I'd share.

af4da1aded2709c15110e58521507c91c06c5dfd-6.jpg
Front

af4da1aded2709c15110e58521507c91c06c5dfd-3.jpg
rear

tbeson

Installed an (extension cord on engine harness) to get the speed sensor that is down at the crank to talk with the transmission control module. missed matched engine and wiring harnesses. Transmission light is off and the torque converter is not locked. What a totally different driving truck. On what seems to be a really unusual problem, a fellow SS member helped me out buy figuring out which engine harness I had, and which body harness I had and how to put the two mismatched harnesses together with what he called an extension cord. He even sent me his left over parts from his extension cord manufacturing. So a big shout out to REF in Cali!!! I don't think I would have ever figured out why the two harnesses were not matching up. I love this forum.

Attachments

Installed a " rear view mirror" in the slantback. Actually it's a digital dashcam/backup camera combo. I can see everywhere but the back seats!

View attachment 836154
View attachment 836155
Installed a " rear view mirror" in the slantback. Actually it's a digital dashcam/backup camera combo. I can see everywhere but the back seats!

View attachment 836154
View attachment 836155
Silly. You know vampires don’t show up in mirrors.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Centramatics for the DuraVee came in yesterday so I installed them last night, makes a huge difference, turned over 600mi miles since build on the DuraVee today

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It only took me 7 attempts to succesfully assemble 5 wheels. Ditched the runflats and installed the TrailworthyFab beadlocks. Enjoying the smoother ride.

64478188721__B3D04877-EA13-4994-ACAD-D37A52ED1CBF.JPG

64486104725__AA136AD2-9B10-445F-A53F-1709354C260E.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm contemplating doing the same thing. How long did it take and what tips can you share.
I did 5 in one afternoon, they were already stripped, I purchased the 24 bolt wheels from TrailworthyFab along with the bead locks, they did not come with the correct nuts or 0-rings, so make sure you have some correct o-rings from a reputable dealer (AMG). Make sure everything is clean.
Get some Murphy's soap, (or other vegetable based tire lube) never use a petroleum product (grease) or solvent (WD-40) on tires as over time it breaks down the rubber.
Tighten the nuts in a crisscross pattern a little at a time and pay attention so the wheel goes together evenly, I used all new grade 8 lock nuts, I actually used grade 8 standard nuts to assemble them then switched to lock nuts.
I have only done a dozen or so wheels, I have never used a sealer (silicone) and but for the one time I tried to use crappy o-rings (fleabay) I have never had a problem. And of course torque them to specs, 85 ft-lb then 125 ft-lb
Edit, oh yes I built them on top of an empty 5 gal. bucket, not the best solution but what I could find.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Centramatics for the DuraVee came in yesterday so I installed them last night, makes a huge difference, turned over 600mi miles since build on the DuraVee today
Duravee sounds all wrong.

Platform is HMMWV.

HummerMax? HummDuram? Just not Hum Drum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks