• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Red6

Started the fun task of water pump replacement with all new hoses (not shown), now on hold because I stumbled upon the Paradox line kit to aid cooling the rear of the engine so I ordered that. Replaced fan clutch bearings seeing Its already out. I don't want to have to get back in there for awhile. Nice to be able to work on something not complicated with electronic gizmos.
Got the paradox line kit installed, got most of everything reinstalled from the water pump install then discovered a stupid crack in the fan blade I didnt notice before...sheesh. Ordered a replacement fan last night from midwestmilitaryequipment. Now to run my radiator down to a shop to have it check out seeing I found some "combat stop leak patches" on the lower hose at the neck. Somebody must have been off roading and doinked the water neck pretty hard creating a good sized flat spot causing a leak. It didnt leak when I bought it but I cant put it back on knowing its like that. Hopefully its not cracked and they can straighten that out.

Attachments

Red6

Got the paradox line kit installed, got most of everything reinstalled from the water pump install then discovered a stupid crack in the fan blade I didn't notice before...sheesh. Ordered a replacement fan last night from midwestmilitaryequipment. Now to run my radiator down to a shop to have it check out seeing I found some "combat stop leak patches" on the lower hose at the neck. Somebody must have been off roading and doinked the water neck pretty hard creating a good sized flat spot causing a leak. It didn't leak when I bought it but I cant put it back on knowing its like that. Hopefully its not cracked and they can straighten that out.
Update, so I ran my radiator down to the shop I had in mind only to find out the owner stopped doing radiator service last year. I did get lucky because he asked me to show him what I had going on. He said "hold on because I didn't sell everything and kept a few tools". He came back with what looked like a set of pliers but they had half round ends in one hand and a tiny little ball peen in his other hand. He got on it, expanded/rounded it out smooth and had it back in shape in mere minutes. He saved me replacement cost and I gave him many thanks. He wouldn't take any compensation for the work either.
There are some good people out there still, he made my day!
Wish I had a before picture but I was gut punched when I first found the damage and didn't take one.

Attachments

Gcelevator

Last weekend did a trip to Pine Island, FL to bring some supplies and water to the affeceted by Hurricane Ian. The MV behaved as expected, only one wheel stud snapped, will check the torque in all of them.

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last weekend did a trip to Pine Island, FL to bring some supplies and water to the affeceted by Hurricane Ian. The MV behaved as expected, only one wheel stud snapped, will check the torque in all of them.
Losing the stud, did you lose pressure as well, or everything else held the inner o-ring in place? Should be pretty easy to pound it out and put in a new one with the tire on -- but I'd definitely remove the air as a safety measure.

Gcelevator

Losing the stud, did you lose pressure as well, or everything else held the inner o-ring in place? Should be pretty easy to pound it out and put in a new one with the tire on -- but I'd definitely remove the air as a safety measure.
No, never lost pressure. That is the idea, remove the air repalce the stud and torque as necessary.

Reactions: OBX

Gcelevator

I'm sure they appreciated the support. Who's seats do u have in there?
They did, even though FEMA was already on site, there was a church and a fire station at the end of the ialand that they really appreciated it. They say probably they were forgotten as supplies didn't make it that far.

The seats are not brand specific, i bought them either from amazon or fleabay. Just typed sport seats and there were a bunch to pick from.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few months back, my initial fluid change on the new M1151A1 revealed that I had some dark grey gear oil. I assumed that the leaking mechanical lift pump could be the culprit via the vent lines. With a new lift pump installed, I decided to drain and pull the cover on the front diff for inspection. Was pleasantly relieved to see clean and shiny gears. Letting the RTV set for 24 hours as per instructions and then refilling tomorrow.

IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0522.JPG

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained and replaced transmission fluid as well as oil and filter. The filter took a few hours to break off. A bolt to the transmission pan was flush up against the base of filter causing friction. Plus, the date written on the filter was December of 2018. It appears the truck has been sitting since about 2018 when the hood damage occurred and it got set out to pasture. Had to cut it off and then use hammer and chisel to force it off. Then had to grind down a millimeter off that bolt so the new one would go on without resistance. Took the rig out for some driving in my neighborhood and it ran great with the exception of power steering. It squeals if turning while stopped. It squeals if doing hard turn all the way left or right. My replacement tire from SECO came in. It's been reconditioned by them. Good tread left and they repaint the wheel and possibly spray something like flex seal on the tire sidewall to make it look new again. That tire is to replace one that has cracks in it and has a date code of 2003. Then after driving noticed one with 2004 DC and it's got cracks, so guess I need to get that one replaced. Other two tires of 2014 and 2018 DC look good. I got my replacement hood finally picked up from the base in Yermo this weekend. A friend of mine in LTL shipping saved me a ton and had Estes out there to pick it up. Some guy on Facebook in a HMMWV group I'm in posted a 7 second clip of him rolling down that Cali highway taking video of the "sea" of tan humvees just sitting and "rotting" away. Ironically, the video had caught the Estes truck there on base picking up my hood. I also put a deposit down on a custom made top from Blue Ox tops. Very good work and reasonably priced and he's got a facebook page where he takes his orders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks