• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

GuntherRommel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not even sure you need the outside bolts, its is a light weight and actually surprisingly very flimsy brush guard. flex a lot but look good

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not even sure you need the outside bolts, its is a light weight and actually surprisingly very flimsy brush guard. flex a lot but look good
This is the heaviest brush guard made for HMMWV's. I have the other two that were made and this by far needs every bolt that you can attach to bracket. I used my forklift to hold it in place while measuring where the brackets needed holes to be redrilled. You can actually stand on this brush guard after its installed or use it as a bench. This is the flimsy one on my M1123.
20220618_124848.jpg

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that version and you can flex it with your bare hand a inch in either direction at the far edges
Yes, it can flex about 1/8”? It’s solid flat steel bar, if this is flimsy, then the other brushguards would maybe fall closer to the cardboard category :)
I was asking about the support more in terms for the time when the bar may be hitting something, like in an off road situation, where the bracket would be the weakest point being only half supported.

Last edited:

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m still fine tuning mounting. Plan is to put 2 4x4 steel tubing 1/4 in thick behind outer 2 bolt holes. Using 2 grade 8 bolts 1/2 in 8 inches long to bolt through tubing into existing holes in tie down frame mount holes. 2 outer holes line up just fine. It’ll be strong enough. Don’t plan on securing to aircraft deck or winching up a tree. Pictures will follow when done.

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m still fine tuning mounting. Plan is to put 2 4x4 steel tubing 1/4 in thick behind outer 2 bolt holes. Using 2 grade 8 bolts 1/2 in 8 inches long to bolt through tubing into existing holes in tie down frame mount holes. 2 outer holes line up just fine. It’ll be strong enough. Don’t plan on securing to aircraft deck or winching up a tree. Pictures will follow when done.
Also these early m1038 use a different winch plate compared to later ones so I had to adapt and overcome any hazards without loosing my shit.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont know how it called in english... you dill a hwole and press in a nut. So i can remove it with two screws and still have a flat surface
You know I could see expanding this cool setup to include an audio amplifier with Bluetooth, Four 5 1/4" coaxial speakers. Four USB charger outlets for both "C" and 3.0 USBs. That center compartment for me could hold my four aircraft intercom headsets.

Any bluetooth operation would be controlled by a radio tray mounted 10" tablet. Hell could even put a small lythium battery/batteries to make the whole thing portable. I really like the possibilities and the size is perfect. Hats off on this use of a 120mm ammo can.

Mark

View attachment 892705
I have solved Bloutooth via the intercom. A small BT receiver supplies the "radio in" of the intercom distributor.
But yes. It is still portable. Loosen two screws, could also be quick connectors, and you have a men's handbag.

Reactions: OBX

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R
Dont know how it called in english... you dill a hwole and press in a nut. So i can remove it with two screws and still have a flat surface. The screws are in the lockable compartment, so that it can not be easily stolen.
Sounds like a Rivnut (rivet nut). Common fastener on our trucks.
bdgr

Autonomy_Lost

No pics because its not very exciting, but I swapped the worn out seatbelts in my m1151 for new OEM 3 point seatbelts.

The existing ones were the "2 part" type with a separate lap belt and shouder belt. Interesting concept, but they didn't work for sh*t. Jammed all the time and didn't retract right.

For anyone wondering, part number 12480530 drops right in for all 4 positions.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought four new ones. The one from the driver worked perfectly. The passenger's got too much sun in Barstow and was totally crumbled inside.
In the back I had none at all and had, because it had to go quickly, the 3-point belts installed in one piece. That looked so wrong that I have not endured.

So I ordered two sets. Once in the front, once in the rear.
Was still difficult... the shipper would not ship outside the US. Since he was of the opinion this was military goods and not exportable.
I was anyway 4 weeks later in Daytona to the race. I had them sent to the hotel.
Went to Wallmart and bought a travel bag. This then $60 for the airline as extra baggage, and since heavier than 30kg another $100 on top for extra heavy.
In sum, very expensive belts :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks