• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What muffler will make the 6.2 sound like a diesel

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you guys down on mullets too?

Barrman

I am not sure exactly what sound you are looking for. I just put a Cherry Bomb welded muffler on my 6.2 powered M715 last week. Here is a video of how it sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPL5pTNCGhs

I think it is more tug boat than any thing else. You wanted suggestions, so here is an option.

I haven't wired the alternators up or driven the truck yet, so I can't comment on how it sounds going down the road.

Durango_USMC

I would think getting the hot engine away from the dry grass would be the smarter plan... A lift might be smarter? I always kind of figured the 6.2 sounded like a diesel engine because it was a diesel engine. Maybe you should turbo it so you get the whine like a 6bt? Or just for sake of common sense, responsibility, safety, and frugality I'd suggest carry a fire extinguisher and dont park on a hay pile. Also you may want to get a phone and a radio for those times when you're off by yourself, it might be easier to call for help if something does go wrong. I've found radios are more effective than smoke signals.

Also just a friendly reminder you came into a forum where people are a bit more attached to their trucks and keeping them close to original or restoring them to their former glory. A lot of people here drove these things in service and dont particularly like the idea of one being mutilated into some sort of semi-truck wannabe. You might have better luck on a diesel forum or in the CUCV hot-rodding forum.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

just looking out for you. You will look like an idiot with stacks. Don't embarrass yourself.
Stacks should be a class x felony on a m1008 or m1028!!!!

What is wrong with you people? He's told us why he wants to run stacks, and it's a perfectly good reason. His work has him parking where the exhaust presents a real hazard of starting a fire, and he's taking sensible precautions to reduce that risk. There's nothing "wannabe" about it. And suggesting that he allow the fire to start and deal with it afterward via radio or fire extinguisher is.... not very bright.

I guess most of you don't know anything about farming.

no mullets are perfectly acceptable.

That's correct. No mullets are acceptable. It's not possible to wear a mullet without looking profoundly stupid. neener_neener.gif

dstang97

What is wrong with you people? He's told us why he wants to run stacks, and it's a perfectly good reason. His work has him parking where the exhaust presents a real hazard of starting a fire, and he's taking sensible precautions to reduce that risk. There's nothing "wannabe" about it. And suggesting that he allow the fire to start and deal with it afterward via radio or fire extinguisher is.... not very bright.

There is no way an exhaust from a 6.2 would ever catch a field on fire. His reasons are not plausible.

detroitdiesel4x4

Thanks marcus! And thanks everybody else as well. I dont want to seem like a wannabe, stacks bother me just as much as they bother you. I enjoy my truck being an ex service vehicle, and i do plan on restoring it that way, not hacking it up. I just want my exhaust to be up and away. I"m not looking for the much to large chrome stacks found on most pickups today, i just want some small stock looking stacks, painted flat black to match...sort of like they were meant to be there. I also do alot of water fording, and dont like the exhaust under. Nor do i like exhaust blowing straight back onto a trailer full of livestock. I know it wont hurt, but i dont like to put animals through that. Found out 2" looks alittle too small, so i might try 3"...i just dont want anything obnoxious. The sound i'm going for is just a quiet sound (like stock) but with alittle more groan to it.

MarcusOReallyus

Is it possible to put stacks in a pickup and not look profoundly stupid?

Yep. People who work for a living on a farm do it all the time out of necessity.

First time I saw it was on a pickup driven by a potato & hay farmer in Idaho, loooong before it became a fad with wannabes.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. People who work for a living on a farm do it all the time out of necessity.

First time I saw it was on a pickup driven by a potato & hay farmer in Idaho, loooong before it became a fad with wannabes.
The stacks don't do much to prevent a fire since the hotest part of the exhaust is the first 3 feet from the manifold , so unless you bring the stacks out through the hood they will not make a difference.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see, growing in a town named Farmersville you might guess I had some experience working on farms. I have never, to this day, seen a real farmer with stacks coming up out of their pickup. I have seen some pickups that I suspect were young farmers wanting to be part of the Fast and Furious Farmer Style crowd but never a real farmer for any reason.

But to keep this MV related the CUCV isn't going to sound like a 6BT Cummins or an OTR tractor with a NTC-400 in it so the stock mufflers sound just fine for what it is.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or maybe the potato farmer used the stacks to launch product to market.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess most of you don't know anything about farming.
Born and raised in Iowa, where they do a little farming. All my spending money as a youth was made by bailing hay. My ex was raised on a farm and I lived there the last year I spent in the state before I left for the Navy. I still visit family back there once a year and have a lot of friends who farm. I have never seen a pick up with stacks on a farm. I have attended bonfires out on a friend of a friend of a friend's farm where there might be 50-60 pick ups parked there and not one had stacks. If it was safer for livestock, safer to avoid fires or better for any reason, they would do it back in the heartland of Iowa.

You can still find a guy with a mullet back there though, so I guess it's more useful than stacks on a pick up.

Don't you just love all of the flip answers making fun of you when you ask a serious question around here? Sometimes folks really ask because they want real answers from folks that have tried what they are considering, so they can make up their mind constructively.

Personally, I plan on going with a single inconspicuous stack after the turbo install as it will have to be a custom single exhaust anyway and I want as little exhaust as possible underneath where branches and rocks will catch on it. The main thing I use my truck for is gathering firewood that I have cut after blazing my own trails through the woods and swamps.

Thank you for posting your video Barrman as that is one of the mufflers I was considering.

Attachments

Last edited:

ryan77

Farm??? I just saw a horse and cow up close last year for the first time!!!! And im 35!! Guess ive been in the city two long!!

Farm??? I just saw a horse and cow up close last year for the first time!!!! And im 35!! Guess ive been in the city two long!!
It's never too late to switch to the good life. I lived in the city for my first 35 years too. I paid my dues and so now I live out on a back road and I'm surrounded by dairy farm and woods. I hate even visits back to the "big city".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks