• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What muffler will make the 6.2 sound like a diesel

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dynomax Super Turbo's sound good with a little deeper pop to the exhaust from idle up to speed.

Flowmasters sound a little to "loose" for me.

I have had both on trucks, and like the Dynomax "turbo" style.

David

Heath_h49008

In all my life I have never heard anyone use starting fires as an excuse to put a stack on a truck.

I have also only seen one fire ever caused by an exhaust, and that was a beat up Thunderbird kids used to field hop with that still had a cat on it and was bottomed in dry grass and left running for 20 minutes.

We are a family of dairy farmers...

If you like the looks, and want the sound, just say so. If you need an excuse, I can't really help you.

The depth of the sound will be directly related to the diameter of the pipes. If you want it in any way deep, you need 3" pipes at a minimum. If you want that redneck "rap/pop" to the exhaust... you use smaller pipes. The dual 2" with unequal sized cherry bombs were a favorite for that in the old days. Personally, it was even worse than the annoying "Flowmaster drone" the Mustangs used to have. (The resonance was horrid)

If you want a stack, with a small amount of muffling, just run 2 1/2"-3" pipes with some cherry bombs or "Bullet" mufflers and make it taller than the cab by a couple of feet and turn outs pointed back or out.

It's not going to sound like a Cummins, but it's what I think you're after.

Coming from a dealership background, I've seen too many burned out cars from parking on leaves or dead grass. It is a real concern on cars but maybe not so much on taller vehicles.

Love the Flowmaster sound on high performance cars and drag cars. Not sure how they'd sound on a diesel. Neither here nor there, but I'm considering either the Delta Flow 40 series or Magnaflows on my wife's GXP as the factory mufflers have gone bad.

Skinny

It's not possible to wear a mullet without looking profoundly stupid. View attachment 416751
I call BS...how do I "wear" a mullet? Is that like being naked under my clothes???

To the original poster...I am making no judgments on stacks. I personally do not like them unless they are on an MDT, HDT, or C+C 1 ton. I understand your reasoning so I'll go with it. I would guess that your quest for a quiet stack is not going to be fulfilled unless you install a turbo and a huge muffler. Either way, you are making the exhaust exit directly behind your head. Plus an N/A detroit 6.2 isn't exactly quiet to begin with even with a full dual exhaust with the gigantic stock mufflers.

MarcusOReallyus

The stacks don't do much to prevent a fire since the hotest part of the exhaust is the first 3 feet from the manifold , so unless you bring the stacks out through the hood they will not make a difference.

Oh, I guess that explains why spark arresters go on the output of the exhaust..... :mrgreen:

HonkyCat

Don't you just love all of the flip answers making fun of you when you ask a serious question around here? Sometimes folks really ask because they want real answers from folks that have tried what they are considering, so they can make up their mind constructively...
It has made reading this thread extremely irritating ...like a bunch of girls commenting negatively on Britney Spears new outfit ..."umm ...like ...really?" I'm new here, but I already see a trend with some folks trolling their own beloved site that certainly have enough knowledge to be helpful. What a waste of bandwidth and post count...:cookoo:

Last edited:

charlietango

I used the flowmasters on 2.5" pipes. factory turn-out dual configuration. I can take a video when the snow and cold go away in a few weeks if you like. When you really step on it they have a bit of that old red-neck sound I think you're trying to avoid. Unfortunately the v8 style anything will produce that sound. Its the firing order and the rpm range that deliver the pop pop pop. I had a built up 1969 383 Dodge Charger with a high-stall that didnt make that sound. It was more the sound of a nascar but that was RPM range and stall/idle/camshaft/compression that made it roar fierce and not pop. My 72 chev 3/4 ton 350 automatic and the 6.2 M1009 blazer sound similar in bark/pop, yet different at the same time because one is diesel and one is gas. Its the trumpeting pop/bark sound I guess Im trying to explain... 6 cyl diesels and the new bigger block diesels are very high compression and run more like a performance engine from what I've been told.

PS spark arrests are required on vehicles with short pipes that produce spark. Gas engines typically. I've read of newer style diesels producing flame on a backfire but you'd have some serious problems to make that happen, as in you definitely wouldn't be driving it much longer type problems. All diesels in Marine or forestry that I have ever seen are not regulated to have spark arresting equipment whereas gas ones are. If you were really worried about spark, wouldn't the simple solution be a spark arrester mounted in the ends? However its the manifolds and cat's that start fires 9/10. Not slagging you, just bringing up alternatives. If you're into stacks, your into stacks. I believe what we are trying to accomplish here is a sound tuning issue.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Probably not, but exhaust gases sometimes contain burning bits of carbon, which can easily start fires in dry gas. Which is why spark arresters are used.

Going with stacks is another way of achieving the same result, which is why there is no mention of spark arresters in his stacks.

Does that help some of you who have obviously never lived where wildfire danger is high?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never heard of a wild fire in NJ.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does that help some of you who have obviously never lived where wildfire danger is high?
You assume a lot. We don't know anything about farming, we don't live where there are wildfires. I live in SOCAL - I know more about wildfires than I need to. I've been evacuated several times. Never, ever have I heard it suggested that a fire caused by a pickups hot exhaust could have been prevented, if ONLY the owner had thought enough of his fellow man to install some stacks.

Since we are assuming - I just assumed he wanted stacks because he thought they looked cool. Since he didn't wanted to be clowned, he gave his reason for installing them. That got him clowned some.

The man can do anything to his deuce wheel chock that he wants. It's his truck and this is America. Since he is posting about it on the internet, he should be ready for differing opinions.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since wildfires and stacks not needing spark arresters has come up . A couple years ago a several thousand acre wildfire was started near Camp Grayling in northern michigan by a train that didn't have the proper spark arresters installed . So I would say stacks make no difference when open.

[h=3]Railroad pays $3.3 million to settle wildfire suitWildfire Today[/h]

wildfiretoday.com/.../railroad-pays-3-3-million-to-settle-wil...

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that site when I was searching, before I posted my comment.

I never heard of it as an issue in NJ

MarcusOReallyus

You assume a lot. We don't know anything about farming, we don't live where there are wildfires. I live in SOCAL - I know more about wildfires than I need to. .
Then you should know more about spark arresters and stacks and wildfires.

That's where I learned about all three.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then you should know more about spark arresters and stacks and wildfires.

That's where I learned about all three.
Well, please, cite your source of information so we can all get up to speed with you. Specifically, any article of information relating to stacks on a pick up reducing wildfire risk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks