• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What muffler will make the 6.2 sound like a diesel

Good thing this thread has gotten so off topic... As has been mentioned before just a bunch of veteran SS members trolling their own forum.

Almost no useful information has come from the three pages of this thread, other than the handful of suggestions on what muffler(s) to use, and that occasionally a hot catalytic converter can start a fire in really dry grass or that a train once started a fire in Michigan.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What muffler would make the 6.2 sound more like a diesel and less like a gasser.
What useful information can really be shared on such a topic? Seriously?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing this thread has gotten so off topic... As has been mentioned before just a bunch of veteran SS members trolling their own forum.

Almost no useful information has come from the three pages of this thread, other than the handful of suggestions on what muffler(s) to use, and that occasionally a hot catalytic converter can start a fire in really dry grass or that a train once started a fire in Michigan.

But I have learned so much from this thread! I've learned that I know nothing of farming or hay operations even though I lived on a farm and bailed hay through high school. I've learned I know nothing of wildfire risks even though I live in SOCAL and have been exposed to several up close, including being evacuated. And I've learned that even though there is no study, white paper or documented information to back it up, putting stacks on a pick up will solve all fire problems.

If it weren't for SS and this thread, I would still be clueless. Or smarter, not sure which.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've learned that sometimes it is smarter to be clueless!

What useful information can really be shared on such a topic? Seriously?

True...it definitely didn't have a great title. :lol: He could have phrased it better. But give the guy a break. :lol: If he wants his stacks, let him have his stacks...he obviously likes the look and is going to put them on whether a 6.2 can start a fire or not. At least he's putting them on a diesel pickup...and not trying to put them on an M1009.

I just don't understand how: "You can't start a fire with a truck." "You can with a train." Well you can't in New Jersey if you don't have a spark arrester." Helps anything.

Although I would imagine mulleteers know a thing or two about starting fires... :mrgreen:

Last edited:

detroitdiesel4x4

I don't see how this whole discussion came about. Now I don't mean this in a mean way, nor do I tend to be bashfull, but how on earth did a big stack debate start? #1 its my truck...I shall do as I please. #2 I bet 90% of you on this forum will ever in your life see my truck. I drive it 5 miles to a farm and home everyday and take it out on weekends for fuel, run errands, and maybe tow something here and there. People who live in my own town probably will never see it! Where I'm getting at is, trucks on the farm run stacks as default...is there a reason for this? maybe...maybe not. Its just how it works. 95% of our farm trucks run stacks...our daily drivers? No. I even once had an 85 Toyota pickup running a stack out the side of the bed, and I'll give you a good reason for that. My truck needs to take me where I need to go, and sometimes the terrain isn't easy. I've had that truck there for a good 8 years and ripped off/bashed off about 6 mufflers and exhaust pipes. Put a stack on it and solved that problem. We had an old firetruck in the field one night running PTO about 1200rpms...now sure, its about 2x bigger then a 6.2, but about a half hour later there was smoldering grass right underneath the exit of the pipe where it was blowing on the ground....nothing was going on under the engine. Ever pulled hay wagons (about 4 or 5 tied together)? Sure it can be done without wrecking anything, but sometimes its just easier to cut them so far over while turning the wooden deck is practically touching the rear tire. I'm sure we've all been bottomed out in a swamp and had both exhaust squeezed between the ground and a truck frame. Ever tried to haul stuff in the bed of a truck with stacks in it? yeah, its a pain. I've had stuff melt, I've had myself and many other burned by stacks, they're right in your ear when you drive etc. etc. I'm just so used to driving with stacks behind my head while farming, its the only way I feel comfortable. Does this apply to everybody? Of course not. Does everybody in the whole world share one truck and only one truck? NO! We all have our own trucks, and build them the way we want them built! Sure, I know, they're cool trucks, I know that, and I wouldn't want to hack one up, and I wont. But I will add stacks. Should I argue with every single person who converted to manual glow plugs? Of course not! I don't care what they do, it aint mine its theirs. Do I care that my neighbor has trash all over his yard and its decreasing my property value? Sorta kinda, but as far as I'm concerned, he pays for the property so I'll let him do what he wants without being a bother. I'm new here, I don't want to start off on a bad note. I just want to hear peoples opinions from what they've experienced. And when the time comes, i'll give people my opinion on my stacks :p

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see how this whole discussion came about.
You started a discussion thread. A lot of times, not always, that will start a discussion.

And if you read any of my posts, you'll see that I 100% totally agree with you. It's YOUR truck - do as you wish. Since you started a discussion thread, I thought this would be the place to discuss it.

Having spent time on a farm, having friends and family who currently actively farm, I was surprised to see farming as a reason for stacks since that is not the norm that I have seen. Then again, I have probably only seen a tiny fraction of all the active farms in America so what I have witnessed may not be the norm.

I've gone with folks into fields to load hay bails into the back of stock 70s/80s pick ups (I left for the Navy in 1985) and not only did no one have stacks, a lot of them had factory exhaust including the catalytic convertors. No one ever worried and I know of no fires. Then again, I lived on a farm for 8 months and I bailed hay for only three years, so my knowledge base isn't as large as others.

Your truck, your party, your way or the highway. I respect that. But remember when you post on a public forum you might get a differing opinion. Or ten.

detroitdiesel4x4

I respect everybody's opinion, don't get me wrong. Question here, what muffler makes the 6.2 sound deep, like a diesel, as opposed to the crackly gasser sound it makes straight piped. And just to clarify, not saying farms = stacks, that's just how it is where I farm at. That's what i'm used too, and it just happens.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice articulation ramp in your hay field.

If you were looking for respect, that was the wrong picture!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The custom airbrushed tailgate is awesome!

And, that CB antenna is almost bigger diameter than the stack!

I remember those days...

detroitdiesel4x4

223k of pure torture and she's still kicking. Used to have a frame but one to many jumps and it broke in half. Ran 5/8 grade 5's through the header of the bed, through the back of the cab and now she's a unibody. Still gets the job done! Now back to topic

rsh4364

moroso spiral flows sound pretty good on my 1009, 3 inch..nice and deep sounding,little louder on take-off but quieter at cruising speed than 2.25 inch with glasspacks..go to youtube search rsh4364 and you can hear it..thanks for thinking outside the box!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks