• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougar's M925A1 Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

License Plate Mount

Well, I wasn't going to do this project but a prompting from a lawyer convinced me otherwise. Last Fall Little League season, a father of my son's teammate informed he didn't like being pulled over. He said my truck was a bit of a magnet and highly advised me I needed a light over my license plate. He said don't give LEO an excuse to pull you over!
Mounting location was a bit of a challenge. I didn't want to mount the truck on the back of the truck. I didn't want to drill anymore holes than I needed to. I was going to mount the plate under the bed just rear of the mudflaps, but the reverse light and IR light impeded the view. So I got to looking at what I had and decided the jerry can mount worked. I found an L shaped bracket and utilized one of four mounting holes under the jerry can...viola.
The license plate light is a simple Truck-Lite license plate light. It came with a 12v bulb but I ordered some 24v bulbs off Amazon for $5/10 bulbs. The license plate mount is the Truck-Lite Universal License plate mount I picked up on E-bay for $4 shipped. The L-shaped bracket is the standard go to bracket I get from Home Depot.
I plan to wire the light along with the three rear marker lights. I'm using one of those instrument panel spider wire harnesses.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Safety-MRAP 24V Back Up Alarm

Due to the inherit size of this truck, I decided this was a must for the truck. I have many kids in the neighborhood that migrate to the sound of the NHC250. With that, they seem to want to migrate around the truck while it is in motion. I found this MRAP 24volt back up alarm for $19. It was NOS and though it was mounted on an MRAP it looked new. It came with a nice mounting bracket that I almost ditched but recognized the spacing of the mounting holes on it. It is exactly the same spacing as found on the rear brake lights. The mounting is perfect in that it allows you to point this high decibel alarm to your 6:00.
As far as electrical, I didn't like the idea of running the hot wire from the cab override switch to the tranny switch on back to the rear. Thoughts of the deuce airpack brake switch came to mind. The one that caused a couple little fires when it decided to short out. So I didn't want that situation on this truck.
Though the back up alarm had a provisions of the ground wire going to the mounting bolt, I opted to have the ground wire run in this way:
Ground in cab--->Override Switch in cab(always on unless flipped)--->Transmission Reverse Switch---->Back Up Alarm
Power Wire (turns on when battery switch on only)---->Back Up Alarm
I have the back up alarm independent of the back up lights.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Safety-Rear Marker Lights

Along with the back up alarm, I decided to add the three marker lights. I was unsuccessful securing the M939 under bed marker light brackets. Instead, I was able to source M35A3 marker light brackets for $10/each from TNJ Murray. Recently, I picked up the three NOS Marker lights for a mere 99 cents for all three...no joke!!;-). I've noticed guys have mounted the marker light bracket from the outside in. Thus exposing the bracket...I didn't like that route because it looks like it was more of an afterthought. Rather, I went with mounting the bracket on the inside out. Thus only exposing the mounting bolts. I think it looks cleaner. To get the correct mounting holes I had to use another marker light mount as a jig to get everything at the correct level so everything would go together well.
I plan on using the instrument panel spider wire harness to power the three lights as well as the license plate mount. I'm going to use a "Y" connector and tap into the brake light assy for power.
Pics:
1- M35A3 Marker Light brackets
2- Put down a strip of painters tape to minimize roughing up the paint too much
3- Center lined and placing down the marker light for fitament. Don't like the look of the bracket on the outside...thumbs down;-)
4- Bracket on the inside...thumbs up;-)
5,6- Using two marker light brackets to get the third bracket where it would be in the inside. I did this to mark the bolt mounting holes. It's much easier to drill the holes from the outside rather than the inside. Just a note: the bed sheet metal is the same thickness as the marker light brackets. That's why I used the marker lights to set the appropriate height.
7-
8-

Attachments

Last edited:

Powershift

AWESOME work, as always!! Looks great.

Let us know how the neighbor kids like that backup screamer too. LOL

wsucougarx

Safety-Rear Marker Lights Electrical

Today I used the very little 15 minutes time I had to wire in the license plate light and the three rear marker lights. As mentioned above, I used the instrument panel spider wire harness. It was the best fit for this project because I needed 4 power outlets and the spider harness as 5. I suppose I could used a bunch of those Y connectors but that would be a little bit more expensive and wouldn't look as clean. I tapped into wire circuit #21 on the rear brake lamp assy. I had to use one of these headlight male to male connectors to get the Y connector in place. Also one huge thing about installed anything electrical, make sure you use star washers to get a good ground! I also use the silicone for all my exterior electrical connections to keep the weather and corrosion to a minimum.

25,429 2342

Attachments

DeeMan6996

Amazing Work

I just wanted to say you do some amazing and beautiful work!:) It takes talent to do what you do and man I wish I had it! Ive spent a couple of hours reading through the whole thread. I might tackle with painting the inside of the cab and your pictures and information really did give me the confidence to hopefully start here soon. Thanks wsucougarx!

Keep on Trucking!
Derek

wsucougarx

Thank you Derek. I appreciate the kind words my friend. You know, tinkering around with this hobby is fun in itself. However, being able to help and inspire others to think outside the box is why I do this. Sure it takes time to take pics, upload, download, and explain everything. But it's worth it if I can help anyone out;-).

wsucougarx

Safety-Blind Spot Mirrors

This is a project I have wanted to do since I recovered my first 5 ton a few years ago. I recovered a M923 from Goodguyzy from Medford, Oregon area to home. This was roughly about 450-500 miles. Everything was good to go on my recovery trip until I hit the Jantzen Beach area in Portland, OR. I was in the middle lane, checked the mirrors several times before doing a lane change. When all of a sudden, out of the blue, a little black car came zipping by in the lane I was merging into. My chase driver said the black car was coming a high rate of speed in the fast lane when he cut in between my truck and the chase truck. Needless to say, the guy almost bought the farm. That was a pretty sobering situation and made me very much aware of the blind spot on the starboard side of the truck. Since I don't drive my trucks as often as I would like, I put this project off until recently.
I was perusing the internet for other parts and came across this NOS M915 mirror arm set for $10/kit (minus spot mirror). I found the new convex mirrors off ebay for $5 each. My biggest challenge was finding a spot for this setup. As you can see in the pics, I have a ton of stuff adorned in the front of the truck:|. I used an "L" shaped bracket from Home Depot electrical dept for the main mirror arm. The rest of the hardware came in the kit.
The starboard mirror appropriately shows the blind spot on that side of the truck. However, the port side mirror shows the front bumper area.
I opted for the smaller 5-6" spot mirrors as to not interfere with the Route Clearance Lights.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Route Clearance Light Covers (2nd batch run)

I made a second batch run of my home made Route Clearance Light covers for this truck. They were a little sun-faded and my M923A1 really needed a set so I transferred the old set to the 923 and made new ones for the 925. I used USGI Cordura Nylon. Not sure what the denier is but it's heavy duty stuff with a waterproof backing on it. I used a USGI sleeping pad for the padding material. These lights are virtually bulletproof and don't need the padding. I used the padding to more or less keep the shape of the cover. I then used some 550 cord for cinching and a boot lace cincher. I used nylon thread for longevity. It's pretty self-explanatory of how I made it from the pics. Yes I sewed each of these myself:). I found you've got to be somewhat self-sufficient in this hobby as not many needed items are at our disposal. These covers being one of them. Sorry, I didn't make extras and I do not have any for sale. They're too time consuming to make. It cost me about 80 cents in material to make each one. However, if I were being paid for labor then...
I provided pics for anyone wanting to attempt to make them on their own. It's very easy. I did the hard work as far as how to sew this thing together and what to use.
I found with the previous set, this material is not UV protected. So fading can and will be an issue. I'm going to secure some UV spray from our local boating shop and see if it helps. My covers are adorned with US and my home made decal I have on all my trucks and trailers. Kind of my trademark of sorts for my gear.
10APR15 2142 25,792

Attachments

wsucougarx

Upcoming addition....

Well, there is one thing this truck has been missing since the addition of the Lightweight Weapon Station. Something that has been an iconic symbol of military might. Something that was designed towards the end of WWI and continued through WWII on into today. It continues to be used in battle and will remain in the US arsenal for decades to come. I guess you'll just have to wait and see..........

FullSpecial

Well, there is one thing this truck has been missing since the addition of the Lightweight Weapon Station. Something that has been an iconic symbol of military might. Something that was designed towards the end of WWI and continued through WWII on into today. It continues to be used in battle and will remain in the US arsenal for decades to come. I guess you'll just have to wait and see..........
Is your wife going to blame me for this idea?

wsucougarx

Hmm, what just showed up on my doorstep...

Wow, an 80 lb wooden box delivered via UPS and a PVC tube delivered by USPS. Hmm, what could this be? Good gracious man, could you have teased a guy more by adding a few more screws to the lid? I couldn't get those screws off fast enough!!! Behold this beautiful work of art. The craftsmanship and attention to detail. All others fail in comparison to this epic piece of steel and wood.
I have always wanted one of these outstanding piece of equipment for sometime now. I have put it off and put it off. When I was asked to bring my M925A1 Gun Truck to a church event. I had to complete this project for God! There is nothing more rewarding than serving God and others! I cannot think of a better way to exhibit my hard work and dedication.

Attachments

wsucougarx

M2HB .50 Cal ALL STEEL replica

Here she is. This is my Robert "Bob" Connor Browning M2HB .50 Cal Replica with AC Sparkplug stamped in WWII configuration. Check out the details of this replica. I have looked at the Hoosier Hot-Shots, John Cheney II, IRAC, Replica and Models, etc etc. I have not seen one in this great of detail. Mr. Connor was meticulous enough to add the small overlooked parts. There are several USGI parts incorporated into this replica. Many other replicas incorporated some USGI parts but not enough. Mr. Connor has produced one outstanding piece that I would deem a work of art!!!! His work is on display at many museums across the USA including the WWII museum! I cannot say enough about this M2. So I'll just let the pictures do the talking.
Before the "Why didn't you just buy the real thing?" questions start. I will answer them with two answers. 1-Price point 2-Legality. I for one don't have $6,000+ for the real thing. Also, I didn't want to get hassled by having a fully operational weapon on top of my truck for events. Rather than go with a 10' replica I wanted to go with one that would fool any season veteran in thinking this thing was real.

Attachments

wsucougarx

M2HB .50 Cal ALL STEEL replica (Cont.)

More pics of the M2HB as it comes from SHOW OF FORCE. Again, this is made by Mr. Robert Connor. He puts around 233 hours into each M2HB he makes...wow!!! He fabricates parts, assembles and even parkerizes his own parts.

Attachments

wsucougarx

M2HB .50 Cal ALL STEEL replica (cont)

Got some of my goodies installed on the M2HB. I bought a NOS USGI Cone Flash Hider, MK64 adapter, and M2 .50cal T&E. I do have the pintle but forgot to get it in the picture. The barrel handle comes with the M2 from Mr. Connor. Tomorrow I'll get her mounted in the MK64 and drive her to church in the late afternoon. I'll take pics and post them later. If you are interested in contacting Mr. Connor PM me and I'll give you his info. In my previous post, it was not my intention to put down any of the other manufacturers of the replicas. I just wanted to point out the depth of detail of this one compared to others. So everything worked out with this purchase. Not only was it the best looking replica, it was available for immediate shipping. In fact, the timing could not have been any better or closer. I got it the day before the day I needed it![thumbzup]
26,312 24APR15 0006hrs

25APR15 Update
I contacted Mr. Connor about sharing his contact information and he said it was OK to do so. He doesn't have a website. I've been corresponding via email with him after I saw pictures of his work on various websites. His email is bobconnor40@hotmail.com. As of recent, he is the only one that has completed M2HB replicas ready for shipment. When you compare his M2 to others, you'll quickly see the details he has. You will pay about the same as you would for a mass production aluminum piece of garbage. He's a private guy that takes pride in his work rather than mass producing for a huge profit. Let him know Mike Henderson sent you;-)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks