• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A1 "Brake Chamber" issue?

Aolinge1

Hi everyone,

I saw a listing for a 925 A1 that supposedly is fine (the body admittedly looks great with no faded paint or rust) except for the seller noting that "the brake chamber on the right rear needs to be changed". Does he mean something else (I couldn't find anyone elsewhere say anything about military 5 tons having brake Chambers per say) or if he does mean it, is it a cheap/easy fix? He wants $5,750 which sounds like an amazing deal. Thank you all for your help!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should probably read up on air brake systems before buying . The rear chambers have spring brakes along with regular brakes . Most people replace the entire chamber because if you don't know what your doing changing the diaphram on the spring brake side of the chamber can kill you.

[h=1]Leaking spring brake chamber[/h]
[h=1]M939 brake chamber diaphragm problems[/h]
[h=1]M925 air brakes[/h]
[h=1]M923 - Air Brake Diaphragm[/h]
[h=1]Spring brake chamber again[/h]
[h=1]Air Brake system troubleshooting[/h]
[h=1]Spring Brake Chamber Final[/h]
[h=1]Spring and Service Brake Chamber Replacement[/h]
[h=1]Replacing Spring Brake Diaphragms[/h]

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hi everyone,

I saw a listing for a 925 A1 that supposedly is fine (the body admittedly looks great with no faded paint or rust) except for the seller noting that "the brake chamber on the right rear needs to be changed". Does he mean something else (I couldn't find anyone elsewhere say anything about military 5 tons having brake Chambers per say) or if he does mean it, is it a cheap/easy fix? He wants $5,750 which sounds like an amazing deal. Thank you all for your help!
Hi, How close to Gainsville are you?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just replace the diaphragms if they are leaking. Just read up on it, the spring brake springs are very dangerous.

Aolinge1

Thank you all so much for the insight, I appreciate it a ton! So with a leaking brake chamber, is it drive able? And also if it were you, would you buy it priced at $5750 with the leaking chamber?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a screaming deal for a decent M925. Granted, we have extremely limited data on which to base this....

Leaking brake chamber may be the service side, or may be the emergency side. Either way it's a trivial fix.

Emphasis - DO NOT DISASSEMBLE the brake chamber until/unless you know what you're doing. There's a spring in there storing enough energy to kill you dead.

In the case of air brakes, inexpert tampering carries a potential death penalty.

Driving with an air leak? The official answer is it's unsafe, illegal, and a bad practice.

In reality it depends on how bad the leak is and whether it's on the service side or the emergency side. How far the drive is, and what the driving conditions will be.

In your context of not having experience with air brakes, and not having a clear understanding of how they operate and how they fail, you'd be well served to have it towed. Find someone local to you that has a 5ton and towbars. Make a day of it, buy them some fuel and lunch and learn how to towbar a 5ton. It'll be fun, you'll learn a lot, and you'll be doing it without undue risk.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Member Elijah is near you sorta. Or where is the truck located? Maybe someone near by on here can take a look at it. Right now prices on trucks are up and down. Somedays things go for stupid money others they are steals.

Aolinge1

Yeah I kinda got that from just browsing around! and I'm located near Atlanta and the truck is kinda far away in Walker, Louisiana. I know it's far but when I saw a M925 for so little I couldn't let it go without exploring the possibility. I also am looking at some deuces but nothing set in stone yet. Again I appreciate all of your knowledge and support and if anyone near whatever truck I end up getting could feasibly look over one I'd gladly pay for time. It's not everyday you find someone who understands these beauties!

Aolinge1

in his ad he says:

5 ton military truck runs and drives great. Redone at 2000 miles by Red river Army. Has 3063 miles. Need to change the brake chamber on right rear. Sold as is. No title. Used as farm vehicle. 8.3 Cummings motorNew tires New batteries2 inch trailer hitch.With winch

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) Red River is my last choice in rebuilds. They did little more than change the guages and paint. (But a solid truck doesn't need more than that. Certainly not all RRAD trucks are bad.)

2) RRAD didn't rebuild engines. If the engine was out of spec they dropped in a new one. Check for new engine tags. If so, this is a huge plus.

3)you commented on the paint not being faded. The truck is wet in the pictures, that's why it doesn't look faded. (Not a big deal...)

4) 8.3 Cummings.... NOPE! That truck is an A0 edition and has the NH250 Cummins. 8.3''s bring a couple thousand more. However, there's nothing wrong with an NH250. I'm in the minority, but I prefer them to the 8.3.

That said, if you can get a title for it the truck is priced at the lower end of reasonable. Make sure that it hasn't been hacked on in terms of wiring and in terms of "improving" the hitch.

Edit to add - LA has had some recent changes to the interpretation of their motor vehicle laws. 52 people received revocation notices of their titles and tags. Many other people were told their trucks are "off road only". Perhaps he's one of those and is attempting to dump it.

Last edited:

Jericho

if your in a no title state , as I AM title isn't an issue, if you decide to buy it get it trailered, i used to live in Louisanna, back hauls are dirt cheap and being in Atlanta you should j=have lots of trucks coming your way, good luck Oh, get a good truck shop to fix the brakes, you dont have the skill set yet to tackle it, its cheap and they do them all the time !

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is it just me or does the front of the bed look tilted down. minus the flat tire. It looks like it.

If it is located near atlanta. see if 73M819 can look at it or someone who knows something. apparently the seller doesn't have a clue what he is selling.

Or i can come down and look at it. I have a trailer to pick up near Savannah anyway. but I am not nice to ignorant sellers.

Aolinge1

I appreciate the offer! Though I don't even know if he'd sell it to me for a reduced price (I asked if he'd take $5,000 flat and he said he'd think on it and let me know) and if not my budget might be too tight to make the deal when considering all the repairs and towing expenses needed to get it home but we'll see what happens. I'll keep you in mind though throughout this whole thing.

P.S. I'm assuming the bed being tilted down could mean something significant???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks