• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

devilman96

Spent most of the day trying to get the puter system up and going for a bench run before it has to go into the truck. (being installed in a Tuffy center console)

So far so good... pulls 9.5 amps total while running... Pretty amazing what you can do with a car battery! The touch screen is really nice and the compact keyboard/track ball will be about prefect for truck!

Working on getting the engine back in the chassis right now so I can test run it tonight / tomorrow.

Attachments

Chevytruck

i'm curious is this going to be mounted on a shock system?

because those hard drives can be damaged with enough shock
and waterproof?

if you were to go crazy, use solid state drives, fast and probably have high shock rating

and how powerful is this computer?

and why XP???

just my 2cents
yes i'm a geek...
no need telling me... :-D

Last edited:

Crash_AF

Where do you plan on mounting the screen so that it doesn't interfere with anything? My CUCV Suburban is getting a Mini-ITX computer set up similar to that but I can't seem to come up with a good screen mount idea where it won't interfere with either the AC vents or access to the 4wd shifter.

Later,
Joe

devilman96

No shock system on the drive... you dont need it, as odd as this may seem to be going into a car (or MV) people do this every day, the only difference is I'm using a MATX rather than MITX because I want full functionality and SPEED vs a over glorified MP3 player.

Solid state drives or ram drives I would need 16 of the largest production drives they make to equal what this one drive is... They are not yet developed enough to be practical. (all though mac will try and make you think otherwise)

As for water... There shall be no water in this cab... I shall send the beast with wrath... people will die... the world will stop... the sky will fall!!!

System.... AMD64 6000 3Ghz clock, dual core 8G RAM, 360W DC power supply, 1 terabyte HD... I have not had a chance to play with it yet but it shouldn't blink with hesitation for a LONG time in this application.

XP... because I have 30 user licenses laying here that are not being used. In Jan will I buy another pile of Vista U licenses but right this sec for testing the system out I'm not dropping $380 as this is already reminding me of a boat.

i'm curious is this going to be mounted on a shock system?

because those hard drives can be damaged with enough shock
and waterproof?

if you were to go crazy, use solid state drives, fast and probably have high shock rating

and how powerful is this computer?

and why XP???

just my 2cents
yes i'm a geek...
no need telling me... :-D

85-m1028

will that puter have a touch screen or are you putting a mouse in?

I've been keeping an eye out for a head unit that intergrates all the functions I want like dvd, cd, memory storage, nav and blue tooth all in one. mounting a screen has been my biggest hang up "full convertable 75" my thoughts have been beetween the spreader bars or the front of the cage "flip down style"

I will be very interested to know how that puter set up works for you. mobile internet sounds like fun!!

ONTOS66

Very interesting project!

I'm waiting for rubber mats and insulation to arrive and surfing the web to find a mount for my laptop. AC - interesting, but I'm not an AC person. I am going to install sliding windows in the rear - my dog needs to stick his nose into the breeze from time to time. In the spring a new paint job before the 09 Transcontinental Military Convoy.

Lacking your mechanical skills, space and tools I'll stick to simple bolt on mods for now.

Still an interesting thread to read. Lots of knowledge floating about.

devilman96

About the rear sliders... DONT!!!! I know a few people that have put them in their trucks and absolutely HATE them due to the fact that they leak like there is no window there at all. If you have to have them hunt down a set of factory ones as the aftermarket sets sold by LMC etc are not worth putting in.

My dogs love windows too... They just have to take turns with the front seat!

Very interesting project!

I'm waiting for rubber mats and insulation to arrive and surfing the web to find a mount for my laptop. AC - interesting, but I'm not an AC person. I am going to install sliding windows in the rear - my dog needs to stick his nose into the breeze from time to time. In the spring a new paint job before the 09 Transcontinental Military Convoy.

Lacking your mechanical skills, space and tools I'll stick to simple bolt on mods for now.

Still an interesting thread to read. Lots of knowledge floating about.

devilman96

A few questions about AC answered...

I needed to "fit" the AC brackets and get the headache of that out of the way. It took me about 45mins to do with the engine like this, figure 3-4 hours with it in the truck.

Here is the basic steps in getting the brackets mounted. Pics start from the stock Alt bracket and go through to the end set up... Id put the alternator in there but I am still waiting on the custom windings to come in for the 150 amp conversion. The AC stuff doesn't have to be removed to get the alternator in and out but it is much easier when left loose.

Attachments

devilman96

Well... no firing tonight... Gonna have to wait until the morning when I can get some help setting the core support in place, but at least its ready to go. I figured if I am going to fire it up again after all of this work I am going to run it for a while!!! Fans, radiator... meh... might need them in place!

It's amazing sometimes how damn long it can take to do things!!! I've spent all day fitting brackets, lengthening supports, bending new fuel lines, swapping out sensors and refinishing little parts related to it all. *ugh* At least its easy to do now as opposed to waiting until later.

Some notes on 6.2 / 6.5 center turbo swaps... If your keeping dual alts you have to re route the fuel lines from the pump to filter and filter to IP... It's better to know this than to figure it out AFTER you have the intake in place! Some of the support brackets have to be lengthened to make up for the different manifolds... The fuel pumps don't interchange, the 6.5 pump has the line to tank fitting going in the wrong direction. The return line crossover is different than a 6.2, it would have worked fine with out the AC so that had to be jostled around a bit.

Nothing major but very time consuming stuff...

Be nice if my TV cable would get here so I can set up the brackets and know how I am going to route that little mess around the turbo... The good part is I think that is pretty much everything other than slapping the alternators in and redoing to engine harness (which is vastly different!!!!)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of video is this? Asking me to install more plugins. I hate this computer crap.

OK, figured it out. Sounds good Mike. Bolt a seat to the frame and take it for a spin, the members there would love that!

Last edited:

devilman96

I'm glad someone can get the video to play on here cause I cant... Wheres that damn admin!?!? Someone tell him to get outta bed, get his dress on and pay attention!!! LMAO!

Ya cant really here in on the video but that turbo is about defining with out a air cleaner and exhaust pipe!!!! ... GOD IS THAT ANNOYING...

I guess they really solved the lag time issues with these center mounted turbo as this sucker is spooled by 1000 rpm!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I clicked on the MVI link rather then the click here link. Only way I could view it. I guess its running OK?

sak00

WOW D-man,
I'e been following this build from the start. That is awesome. It will be a truck to talk about for some time. I can't wait to see it at the FL rally. Keep up the great work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks