• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have any specs to make spin filter adapters?

markehle

...I do believe people should make a profit on there work, time, knowledge, when we are no longer allowed to do that it will be to late for ALL
No one is stopping them from asking whatever price they want. No one is saying that they should not make a profit. What I am saying is that no one should be made to feel like they can't make their own parts. No one should be made to feel that they can't design their own parts and then share those designs for the good of all.

sandcobra164

If $150 is a fair price, I didn't get gouged too badly at all. I paid about $160 for the machined bases, pipe plug adapters, o-rings, and a set of filters and I paid shipping. I know the price has gone up since then but I've never complained on the deal I made with 1 of the 2 that currently sell these adapters. It's a somewhat rare item that I wouldn't make on my own given my non-existent access to the machinery, stock as well as parts cross referencing necessary.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one is stopping them from asking whatever price they want. No one is saying that they should not make a profit. What I am saying is that no one should be made to feel like they can't make their own parts. No one should be made to feel that they can't design their own parts and then share those designs for the good of all.
All you got to do is grab a handfull of wrenchs and go out take your filters apart and start measuring .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the plan. Although I would rather get a spare filter housing/oil cooler to do it with. Way easier to have the thing on the bench than in the truck.
Your going to have to test it , you might just as well have it ready to bolt on.

markehle

If $150 is a fair price, I didn't get gouged too badly at all. I paid about $160 for the machined bases, pipe plug adapters, o-rings, and a set of filters and I paid shipping. I know the price has gone up since then but I've never complained on the deal I made with 1 of the 2 that currently sell these adapters. It's a somewhat rare item that I wouldn't make on my own given my non-existent access to the machinery, stock as well as parts cross referencing necessary.
They are $200 now.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I don't see 200 a big deal, look what guys are paying just for tires and rims, some sets can buy two trucks

markehle

I don't see 200 a big deal, look what guys are paying just for tires and rims, some sets can buy two trucks
I do, when I can machine them for maybe $20 worth of aluminum and a bit of hex steel stock plus my time to design them. And when I'm done I have the satisfaction of knowing that I did it. That's worth something to me.

3dAngus

Happy to see you talented guys go to work with your labor of love. For those less skilled with machining, I believe there is still a complete set of the oil spin on filter kit in the classifieds for $160.

plym49

I wonder if the reality is that the two existing suppliers are in the 'wrong' sweet spot. By that I mean the demand, let's face it, is in the eaches. Usually when you are talking about low prices for manufactured parts the volume is in the hundreds or thousands. Dueces are not as commonplace as Jeep Wranglers or Chevy pickups. The aftermarket Jeep and Chevy suppliers deal with a ton more volume. For the guys who did the R&D, it is probably not worth it for them unless they charge what they charge.

Now my statement that I understanad and commiserate with the situation does not mean I feel good about it. For me, even $150 is too much given how often I use my Deuce and the other responsibilities I have in my life. I would love the convenience and even more, the quicker build-up of oil pressure, but at $160 or $200 I can't do it.

That actually makes me sad, in a way, because I fully support the idea of the small, American manufacturers like Jatonka that offer these things. There is nothing that I like to do more than support a brother who is manufacturing things here in the USA. The only thing holding me back is my own reality as stated above; I wish that weren't so, but there it is.

I am not a machinist but I do kinda sorta know my way around my lathe and Bridgeport . I know I could build my own, and some day I probably will, unless by good fortune I some day I come across a store-bought set for $75 or so.

So, to the OP and the others who have expressed interest, please let's keep this open-source and let us know what you come up with, measurements and all.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm just CURIOUS how long it would take someone to make a filter kit, from getting the first wrench, removing old filters, design work, multiple set up, turning the parts, source multiple parts, assembly, testing, corrections, install, more tests, ect, ect, ect,. I see a EASY 10 HR, from picking up the FIRST wrench to putting the LAST wrench away and picking up the end of project BEER, If this project JUST took a total of 10 hr, at the new price of $200, that is ONLY $20 an hour, the old price of $160 means it is $16 an hour, I would like to KNOW where I can get ANY MACHINE work done for $20 ph let alone $16 ph, now try R&D or PHOTOTYPE work for a VERY SMALL comsumer base, I can not even imagine that cost

markehle

Once you have designed round parts, making multiple copies on a turret lathe is a snap. I've got such a machine, and that is what I plan to do. Besides, when it's your hobby, it's not about being paid for your time, is it? Here again, it sounds like you are telling us we MUST buy the kits that other people are selling rather than roll our own.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just CURIOUS how long it would take someone to make a filter kit, from getting the first wrench, removing old filters, design work, multiple set up, turning the parts, source multiple parts, assembly, testing, corrections, install, more tests, ect, ect, ect,. I see a EASY 10 HR, from picking up the FIRST wrench to putting the LAST wrench away and picking up the end of project BEER, If this project JUST took a total of 10 hr, at the new price of $200, that is ONLY $20 an hour, the old price of $160 means it is $16 an hour, I would like to KNOW where I can get ANY MACHINE work done for $20 ph let alone $16 ph, now try R&D or PHOTOTYPE work for a VERY SMALL comsumer base, I can not even imagine that cost
That's why they want SOMEONE else to do the blueprint and design ( specs and measurements ) so they can call it theirs . Has anybody looked to see if either of the two manufactures of these have received or applied for patents , if they have that could be big problems for anyone trying to copy them.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Once you have designed round parts, making multiple copies on a turret lathe is a snap. I've got such a machine, and that is what I plan to do. Besides, when it's your hobby, it's not about being paid for your time, is it? Here again, it sounds like you are telling us we MUST buy the kits that other people are selling rather than roll our own.
Not at all, SOMEONE said that the $160 then the $200 price was to high, I was just POINTING OUT that at the hourly rate, the kit price is CHEAP. EVERYBODYS time is worth something, no matter if you pay your self or not, in this case the number of hours it takes to produce a KIT as compared to the kit price.

This is NO different then the guys that are making the conversion disks or rims for the deuce axles, I am sure thay are not selling them at cost but not getting rich either, yes thay saw a need and filled it. I can go on about all the fixs and needs that were filled by guys in the hobby, nobody got rich. and the nice thing is NOBODY was forced to buy anything, still freedom of choice.

I have been there, done that, thinking I can do something cheaper then just buying it, sometimes it worked out (proud of my self), other times not quite so good (self=dumb a$$) and if things don't work out I can't get my money back,( now a real DA) because I have to spend the money to BUY the item anyway while adding to my junk pile

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, but I can't enjoy my truck when parts of the engine are apart.
If it such a easy process to make your truck shouldn't be down but 1 day , if you spend that day designing and manufacturing the parts . If your building the parts you can't be driving the truck at the same time . Unless you question your own ability to build it from scrathch in a timely fashion and have it function properly.

ODdave

Ok I'm not trying to get in this argument but dam. This site is suposed to be here to help people and suport the hobby. The guy asked a simple question because he wants to make his own parts. You people should be supportive of him not being a lazy **** sitting on a computer just ordering parts. If he wants to use his time to build he's parts let him be. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks