• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

rmgill

I believe that the ring deformation is an issue not if the ends aren't twisted but rather if they're bent outwards. If you lever them outwards too much you can make them not want to properly latch into the groove.

Check tm 9-2610-200-14

For me, getting the ring back in has been usually a bit of tapping with a rubber mallet while I stood and walked the ring around. One or two have required a bit of levering but otherwise they go in. Having the ring and groove clean is important. A bit of lube is also helpful.

KaiserM109

Looks familiar!!

On the opening day of the '68 Tet Offensive Charlie beat the #$%@$ out of our motor pool with 82mm mortars and none of our trucks were revetted. EVERYONE who didn't have a critical mission fell out to the motor pool for tire changing duty. A captain showed me how to do what you just photo'd. It took 2 days and were my arms tired!

I like some of the suggestions in this thread and the tools you have improvised. I have an inside duel with no valve stem showing and I was about to get a refresher course, but I'm scrapping out an M105 and keeping the wheels. ' Dodged that one.

steelandcanvas

KaiserM109 said:
Looks familiar!!

On the opening day of the '68 Tet Offensive Charlie beat the #$%@$ out of our motor pool with 82mm mortars and none of our trucks were revetted. EVERYONE who didn't have a critical mission fell out to the motor pool for tire changing duty. A captain showed me how to do what you just photo'd. It took 2 days and were my arms tired!

I like some of the suggestions in this thread and the tools you have improvised. I have an inside duel with no valve stem showing and I was about to get a refresher course, but I'm scrapping out an M105 and keeping the wheels. ' Dodged that one.
Arlyn, Maybe you just lost the valve stem extension.??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well I tried it out today and I think I might like it. It wasn't as fast as my prior method but that might change with practice. Yes Eric, I did smash a finger and I blame you as it wouldn't happen if you hadn't pointed it out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry! I only pointed it out, because I have done the same. I think a washer welded on the slide-rod (about 6" from the end)to keep your hand from sliding too far down(into the danger zone) would eliminate the danger. Unfortunately, nothings foolproof, I could get hurt eating a jelly doughnut!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, here's a pic to show possible modifications. The Red line, is a washer added to keep your hand from sliding down into the "danger zone". The Yellow areas, are where you must keep your hands at all times. The Blue, is a label warning you of all the hazards associated with using the tool and there by waiving the manufacturers liability !

Attachments

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
the tires on my truck have been mounted for a long time. i had the truck 5 years and the previous owner had it prolly atleast 3 years. i dont know the last time the tires were off the rims. i spent about 3 hours wakkin at some of my tires and they wouldnt come off. i used lots of silicone spray but it didnt work. i got this pb blaster gallon with sprayer from advance autoparts and soaked the same tire i had been beating for hours and it came right off. other ones i would spray and then attack and it would still be some work but they would break loose. then i let 2 tires sit bout 20 minutes with the blaster on them and an angle started in to the rim to make a gap to get the oil in better. i didnt even make it all the way around the tire with the hammer before it came loose. good stuff, i reccomend you guys try it.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used WD-40 with the same results.. I dunno if it's because it eliminates the friction between the rubber and the slide hammer and gets more force to where you really want it or what, but it seems much easier to break them down when I use the WD-40...

Rattlehead

PB Blaster is good stuff. Do you think it would hurt the tire (assuming you were re-using the tire)? Maybe OK if it were washed off quickly afterwards?

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i dont know if blaster hurts the rubber. when i worked on motorcycles at a dealership i was told wd 40 hurts tires. i cant understand it hurting tires if it doesnt hurt the finish of a brand new car, it is silicone based. i think blaster is petoleum based though. i have more 5 ton rims to break down for my tires, im using the blaster on them, any long term damage and i'll post up. imma read the can also to see if it says anything bout damage to rubber products

Bighurt

WD40 has aliphatic hydrocarbons which tend to break down organic hydrocarbons found in petroleum. As they are both Hyrdocarbons they both aid in lubrication however being that many moving parts are lubed with grease/oil and other organic hydrocarbons the introduction of a product like WD-40 tends to dry out and destroy seals over time. Other products like JB-80 and other Justice brothers products are petroleum based therfore are safer to use on petroleum lubed fittings.

WD-40 is best used on equipment without lubrication like door hinges, and tricyle wheels.

Cheers

SEAFIRE

Old tire mechanic used to throw a heavy blanket over the split rim just in case it had some unusual tension and decided to "jump up and bite you". I re-state OLD tire mechanic...
The local County employees here have an eye-bolt sunk in the concrete in their tire shop, they put a chain through the center of the rim and around the tire to catch the lock-ring if it pops off while changing our deuce tires....

A local tire shop has a "cage" they put the tire in while changing tires on deuce type lock-ring rims.

So is their really a danger of the ring poping off and getting you????

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a Google search of "tire ring kills" and I think you will have your answer.

sw

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just to be clear, there are multiple designs of rims with rings. The split rim is the big killer that you hear the most about. The deuce design is a lock ring design. It is much safer, but can still kill you if you don't pay attention to what you are doing. I have done many without incident, but can see how it might happen. Just be carefull and you will be fine.

WeBeJeepin

I can follow the pictures, but someone should do a video and put it on SS or youtube on the entire process. One of the old mechanics where I used to work made me very paranoid about even standing next to a vehicle that had split rims (even though there are 10 in my driveway). I have a deuce tire that needs changing as well as a couple on my 715. I would love to see somebody demonstrate it because I would hate to add my name to the list of people who have been decapitated by a tire ring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks