• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to be doing a fluid & filter change on the transmission and have some general questions not worth starting a whole thread for.

The 4L80E trans is the same as any other GM 4L80E trans? I ask because 2006 M1165 is not a vehicle for the purposes of searching rockauto, napa, etc. Does anyone know a vehicle I can use to search with?

I think I read I want Dex6?

Is the 4L80E trans pan the same as any other GM 4L80E pan? I ask because I want to find one with a drain plug.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ECV/REV trucks recommend DEX VI in everything.
GM says not to use it in non-automatic transmission applications because some manual transmissions and stuff have had early failures when they first switched over to it.
Military finds it easier to stock a single fluid for everything, even if it increases the failure rate of some items in comparison to another fluid, because supply chain simplification.

For the transmission itself, DEXVI will be just fine.
For everything else, I think I'd still find a good DEXIII

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to be doing a fluid & filter change on the transmission and have some general questions not worth starting a whole thread for.

The 4L80E trans is the same as any other GM 4L80E trans? I ask because 2006 M1165 is not a vehicle for the purposes of searching rockauto, napa, etc. Does anyone know a vehicle I can use to search with?

I think I read I want Dex6?

Is the 4L80E trans pan the same as any other GM 4L80E pan? I ask because I want to find one with a drain plug.
This is a "what have you done to your HMMWV thread, not a request for information thread, yes start your own thread! otherwize folks going down the "what has been done" thread have to sort through all this garbage.
Besides this dog has been kicked so many times you should have no trouble, do a google search.

NormB

Thanksgiving weekend 2020, I drove my HMMWV for some local errands, it began making some god-awful noises (like some prankster had tied a 1/2” zip tie around a driveshaft but more metallic), I got it home into the garage, and did my best to figure out what the heck was making the noise.

I poked around with a hammer, flashlight, second set of eyes (friend), screwdriver, hands, couldn’t find a THING.

Let it sit a few weeks and…

Got covid19.

Dec 16 I had some sneezing, a little cough, couple days later awoke with a 105.4 temp, got tested, went home until Jan 13. Christmas day I was diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia (well, being a doctor myself the ground-glass appearance of about 90% of my chest was a dead giveaway), wife too. She was hospitalized for a couple days, since then I’ve been dealing with irregular heart beats, fatigue, finally, december 21, 8 mos ago, I worked my last full shift (15 hours) as a doctor of 30 years duration. Seeing pain management monthly for meds, quarterly for steroid injections and nerve ablations and all kinds of fun stuff.

Interestingly, the illness exacerbated (worsened) underlying arthritis, sensorimotor neuropathy, complex regional pain syndrome and other issues I’ve dealth with (and the VA has compensated me for to the tune of 90% disability), migraines, etc.

I’m awaiting review by VA and Social Security regarding 100% disability.

Meanwhile, I’ve kept the truck running, starting about every 4-8 weeks, setting the throttle at idle, 1,000, 1500 and higher RPM until engine temp reaches 200F, maybe an hour or so, then shutting down. Did a couple oil changes.

Had a power steering fluid leak from somewhere… tightened a hose clamp on the cooler and that stopped.

Finally, about ten days ago, I backed it out onto my driveway to wash down, install a locking fuel filler cover, and have taken it out several times for local grocery and big-box store trips.

Funny, I’d replaced the transmission output seal and driveshaft seal when I replaced the original (broken) transfer case for a 242 case, and there’s a class 3 drip from that ONE spot only.

I’d replaced the transmission filter/ATF and the pan gasket with a Lubelocker five years ago. Not a drip ever.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to trailer it down to my farm in TN.

Steel garage was finished about 4 years ago, I even built a 15x30 “Barndominium” at one end I stay in when I go down.

Cabin’s been dried in, ready for electric, plumbing, all the rest of the details, should be move-in ready in another 2-3 months.

Wife retires Feb 1, 2023. We will be putting Maryland behind us like a hackneyed metaphor. We’re done.

Will be making several more trips down to TN this year with household goods, MEP 803 genset (already got the 802 there). We bought the 17 acre property next door and it already had a 30x70 two story steel garage (with a 5 ton overhead hoist that slides end-to-end of the buliding), a great place to keep the HMMWV, room enough for an LMTV if I win the lottery.

Meanwhile, gonna drive it around tomorrow in neighborhood Independence day parade, couple more times until I can get it to its new home.

Gotta change the oil again, too. Think I’ll send it out for analysis this time.

Oh, and the weird noise?

Gone. Go figure.

“Still alive and well, still alive and well, every now and then it get a little hard to tell but I’m still, alive, and well.” -J. Winter.

Happy Independence day all.

-Norm

Guyfang

Staff member
Norm,

“Still alive and well, still alive and well, every now and then it get a little hard to tell but I’m still, alive, and well.” -J. Winter.

Drink up and be happy
Live just for today
Drown in cheap tequila
And flush yourself away

J. Winter/Rick Derringer

After we raise our mugs, we repeat the lines from these two songs. Mr Winter will live for ever.

Take care, be safe and stay healthy.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
extended my range by 1000 milesView attachment 872257
Extending my Humvee’s range by roughly a thousand miles as well. Mine is a 78 gallon MRAP fuel tank encapsulated with “Battle Jacket” self healing coating. Will take multiple hits from AR-15 and other small arm rounds and continue to be serviceable . Watch video:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little chores

- Picked up the three gallons of Dexron VI
- Picked up and installed new battery terminals (old ones were cracked and deformed)
- Adjusted three of the doors that needed adjusting
- Lubed two of the window zippers
- Scraped off all the decals to get ready for paint
- Moved the lower gun mount down a little to get it where it's supposed to be (without drilling any new holes)
- Lifted the rear AC unit and pulled the cover to access the fuel tank to check the sock at some point

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I flush my radiator for the second time and I took the standpipe out and cleaned and painted it. Blew out the block and radiator after flushing with hose water. I left it open overnight and today I put everything back together today with the new hoses, the big hoses I didn’t change the smaller ones because they look and feel good. I installed a new thermostat. I filled Resevore tank with 100% anti freeze and I filled it until it ran out of thermostat housing. I installed thermostat and continued to fill it with a total of 5 gallons. I read that it should take 6.5 gallons but I have a hard time believing that 1.5 gallons was left in the system after my leaf blower had its way with it. I’m still letting it run and cool down so maybe it will take a 1/2 gallon more. Radiator core is like 3/8 or 1/2” copper tubes and I was worried about it being plugged until I seen how big they are. I used Prestone Platinum and it says it will last 15 years or 350,000 and I won’t be here to find out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks