• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why did you buy your deuce

Parker2

What else are you going to drive after the apocalypse? I imagine that no matter what kind of apocalypse we have fuel will be a precious commodity. being able to drive on crap other people can't will be awful handy. Plus I have all the confidence int he world that my Deuce can plow through legions of zombies without suffering major damage.

Put your foil hat back on..:p

trog

Because they are GREEN, ya know, environmentally friendly. An engine with excellent thermodynamic efficiency (due to compression ratio), and tolerant of alternative fuels. Doesn't need asphalt, and Greenies do not like asphalt. Of course, in Kalifornia, government can't afford asphalt anyway, on many county roads, and all of our annual precipitation falls on few days around Christmas, when we would like to visit friends and relatives.

jblack6527

To echo a lot of people in this thread, just because I wanted one. I remember seeing one when I was a little boy, it was driving down the road, and Mom was explaining to me about "that is what you call double clutching" (I love my Mom :)) Ever since then, I've thought they were just awesome. So when I realized I could buy one with income tax returns, well, I bought one.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother bought an old WWII ambulance back in the mid-60's. We got it running and he sold it and I went off to college. I thought it was neat at the time, but forgot about MVs until Katrina knocked us ass over teakettle. Saw pictures of the MVs in NOLA and reading about Sarge's post Katrina mission got the interest fired up again 40 years after working on that ambulance. I always thought it would be neat to have one, but money was always too tight.

I've been lurking here about 4 years before I joined, and I bought my first Deuce last spring. Fortunately, I can now afford to buy myself some play-pretties. I now have 4 dueces, a 5-ton, an obsene number of trailers, and I'm seriously addicted.

Mark2X2

Why Did I Buy My Deuce?
When I was in the Army, I really liked the way a Deuce would get around. They seem to less trouble than a 5 ton, but if it has tits or tires it's trouble. I was a M817 dump truck driver. I bought my Deuce & drove it 320 miles home, for less money than a decent used ATV. I want to maybe do a bobbed job on mine some day. Going to get power steering first, then 11.00-20's singled out, then locking hubs and if it seems to handle better. If it's easier to drive and back up a trailer I'll leave it a tandem. If not I'll wack it. They are a fun old truck that's a piece of Military history. I use mine for hauling wood, dirt or anything else i don't want to abuse my pick up for.
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

I bought mine because I Always liked big trucks! Also while I was in the Army in Alaska and ordering parts for planes I got stuck with the job of ordering parts and fixing up a PLL for the wheeled vehicles in our aviation unit which included the M35A2. My truck cAme from Alaska in 2001. Its a 1971 AM General with a Hercules LDT-465-1D, the "Quiet" one and made in 1987. The truck has an airshift frontend. Its easy to get addicted to this hobby!!

jimm1009

my Deuce

I bought my M1009 in 1995 to drive every day and I still do
and then I bought my deuce because they are SEXY and sound really cool.
Seriously, they are a universal style truck that can be used for a lot of jobs as long as you are not in a hurry to get there.
I'm adding a winch in about 2 weeks to increase the universal factor and help with clean up of trees and big limbs around the farm.
I also bought it to drive to work about once every two weeks or so and to use in the local parades, haul mulch for the "other half", and oh ya, did I say there are really sexy?

jimm1009 :-D

ARYankee

I've wanted a deuce for about ten years and my wife knew how bad I loved and wanted one so she gave me the green light to get it. I got it mainly because they are so freaking bad a$$.

panzerjunky

I tell people that I had tree roots lifting up the right side of my driveway and needed something to hold it down some folks say good Idea ( are they realy that dumb?) Got to drive one once while in the military almost killed my entire squad ( save that story for later) But I didnt..... so at that point decided one day I would have one so 37 years later she is in my drive and I have not regretted it one little bit.
Like I keep saying on posts like this BUY YOUR DAMMED DEUCE ALREADY. and work out the details Later.
Welcome to the sickness
Take care Jerry

frodobaggins

I swore after I crawled in my first one in the Army that I would own one someday.

I keep my promises, and every time I get in it it's like Christmas when you're 5 years old.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends who I am talking to. "What are you going to do with it?" is by far the #1 question asked by the average crowd.

- I rode in MVs in another life. Just walking up to my Deuce when it sits in the sun in my driveway and smelling the warm, oily odour brings back memories and feelings.

- I love driving big trucks. If I had room for a 5ton I'd have one.

- The combination of size and technical simplicity is endearing.

- I am careful with money. While I realise that many spend more on their toys than a measly few grand for a used truck, I arrived at a stage in my life that allowed me to get myself a truck I have wanted for a long time. So I did.

Lawrence of Arabia

I drive mine to remind my X wife what a Redneck I am and that we should have never gotten married in the first place. My Deuce would not fit into her high maintenance life style. My new wife thinks it's cool and wants to drive it.

Carl_in_NH

I wanted one when I was a kid. That was 30 years ago.

I bought one when it became needed for chores around the property. I wasn't going to spend big money on a pickup from some bailed-out auto company - I wanted something that could work, and carry a load. Then I came to enjoy the simplicity of the design - the fact that it's a vehicle that you can fix when it's broken, and maintain with a good assortment of tools - but nothing really special. When you do need a special tool, it's typically something you can make yourself.

I also have this liking for old iron - and tend to have heavy old machine tools follow me home. A deuce is handy for such operations.

There's also a great group of people that collect them - and that's one of the reasons I'm buying another one, one that's a good basis for a restoration. Good folks in the MV collecting hobby.

I'm also "not quite right" in the head - and just like the darn things - and that's why I 'need' two of them.

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks